How do you become a successful actuary (1 Viewer)

Ksblue

HSC
N/A
From what I understand actuarial studies is meant to be difficult and there are exams provided by the insitute of actuarial studies, etc that must also be completed to become a fully qualified actuary. My question is what is required to be successful at it?

Like if you wanted to work in a top fortune 500 company or go into investment banking or hedgefunds, I understand you would need great extra-curricular, great marks and excellent work experience record. But what sort of extra-curricular acitviites are they looking for? Does the uni you do your degree at really matter? Anyone know what they look for in a great candidate?

Does being offered scholarships and cadetships really help at all? Can you put that stuff on your resume even if you didn't accept many of those offers?

Also is it an advantage to have a degree from Ivy League (American) universities such as Harvard? Or even internationally well known unis like Cambridge?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
From what I understand actuarial studies is meant to be difficult and there are exams provided by the insitute of actuarial studies, etc that must also be completed to become a fully qualified actuary. My question is what is required to be successful at it?

Like if you wanted to work in a top fortune 500 company or go into investment banking or hedgefunds, I understand you would need great extra-curricular, great marks and excellent work experience record. But what sort of extra-curricular acitviites are they looking for? Does the uni you do your degree at really matter? Anyone know what they look for in a great candidate?

Does being offered scholarships and cadetships really help at all? Can you put that stuff on your resume even if you didn't accept many of those offers?

Also is it an advantage to have a degree from Ivy League (American) universities such as Harvard? Or even internationally well known unis like Cambridge?
To be successful you need to pass your 10 level 3 exams.
Extra-Curricular not so much - just to show you aren't a boring person. If you want to work in an IB/Hedgefund you will find that they will not like extracurriculars regarding management kind of stuff.
Uni doesn't matter if you are going to become a FIAA - MQ is the best though.

A lot of people I know have put "Offered a PhD in mathematics" or something on thier CV

Ivy League is a whole different world - insanely competitive and insanely expensive.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Good at maths.

You also need to now do work experience before you become an associate of the IAA...

Monsterman

HSC

To be good at actl you should work hard and make connections.
Do extracurricular stuff just for the sake of it.
Rejecting scholarships and cadetships and saying that you didnt accept it is basically useless after 3 years of uni.. I mean.. whats the point of saying something that you didnt have/do.
Obviously univerisities such as Harvard and Cambridge would give you a great advantage, but the question is whether you can get in or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)