How do you cool your computer (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The Antec Sonata II(~200) or Coolermaster 532(~130) are decent solutions, quiet and keeps my system relatively cool and in control.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Antec P180 is great in terms of both cooling capability and noise level.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Templar said:
Antec P180 is great in terms of both cooling capability and noise level.
what price?

EDIT: Thats a case, i thought it was a cpu cooler at first

What do u reckon of thermaltake as a case? its kinda cheap and i hear its got good ventalation

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Cheap Thermaltake, or in particular the Soprano, has awful build quality.

Otherwise, they're pretty good in general. There's a few different models with different attributes, so do your research. If you want a good, cheap case, Antec has a few on offer.

Last edited:

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Add a spoiler.

EDIT: Oh you meannt 'cool down'.

2 Fans air intake on front of case.
2 at the rear blowing the air out.

Waterblock/watercooling setup.

CPU Fan

HDU Fan

Side Fan.

Remove cable clutter to increase air flow.

Thermal Paste ($14) on the CPU chip

Check your BIOS to see what temp your current CPU fan is running on.

Heatspreaders on ram.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I thought I'd upload a photo of my cousin's... "very cool" case (ie. the case side has been lifted and there's an air conditioner above it).

NB. The cooling unit is malfunctioning (but it still has a cool multicolour LCD o_O )...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
bscienceboi said:
Add a spoiler.

EDIT: Oh you meannt 'cool down'.

2 Fans air intake on front of case.
2 at the rear blowing the air out.

Waterblock/watercooling setup.

CPU Fan

HDU Fan

Side Fan.

Remove cable clutter to increase air flow.

Thermal Paste ($14) on the CPU chip

Check your BIOS to see what temp your current CPU fan is running on.

Heatspreaders on ram.
Asetek VapoChill LS.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
can someone explain what exactly is Thermal Paste and how u apply it. i know its to cool the CPU , but how does it work

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
SashatheMan said:
can someone explain what exactly is Thermal Paste and how u apply it. i know its to cool the CPU , but how does it work
Its silver compound which absorbs heat from the CPU chip and it comes in a tube.

You just spread it over the top of the chip (between the chip and heat sink fan) and it does its thing. Newer AMD heat sink fans already come with some sort of paste when they are bought new.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Thermal paste is the compound used as a conductive interface between the heatsink and CPU. Since the surfaces aren't exactly smooth air (insulator) will be trapped between the surfaces. Thermal paste takes up that space instead of air.

Thermal paste is a better conductor than air, but still poorer than metal, so the idea is to not use that much. Arctic Silver has instructions on how to apply its products on their website.

HSC
Stick a fan on window for intake, front intake, exaust outake and top outake; hook them up to a smart fan controller which increases/decreases their speed depending on temperature of your mobo/cpu

Roguedeth

HSC
SashatheMan said:
what price?

EDIT: Thats a case, i thought it was a cpu cooler at first

What do u reckon of thermaltake as a case? its kinda cheap and i hear its got good ventalation
i've got the Antec P180 it costs about $210 but it comes with 3 fans and an extra part that you can fit another fan on (fan not included). Very good in cooling.

HSC
Antec's have nice cases but not worth it imo, if you got enough patience you can modify a generic case ($40~) like i did and make it just as effecient in cooling

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Not too much paste. Too much and it's thermally inefficient.

I_F

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
Antec's have nice cases but not worth it imo, if you got enough patience you can modify a generic case ($40~) like i did and make it just as effecient in cooling
You could, but the overall costs of modifying with quiet fans and what not would surely result in the Antec case being better.

Particularly with the extra things you get from more expensive cases, such as durability, headers, looks, and on average, better inner design for both cooling and placements.

I was a long advocate of cheap DIY options as well, until i bought this new one, and am completely happy with it, no tools needed for installation of anything, on top headers, great since it sits on the floor, durable design, quiet function.

HSC
SashatheMan said:
how much paste do i apply? basicly an invisible layer? or quite thick?
Get a plastic card size (solid plastic, like those bearcare photocopy cards) and slide the thermal paste across

AsyLum said:
You could, but the overall costs of modifying with quiet fans and what not would surely result in the Antec case being better.

Particularly with the extra things you get from more expensive cases, such as durability, headers, looks, and on average, better inner design for both cooling and placements.

I was a long advocate of cheap DIY options as well, until i bought this new one, and am completely happy with it, no tools needed for installation of anything, on top headers, great since it sits on the floor, durable design, quiet function.
Also depends how good you are, I was real hellbent on cooling my case and I looked up on the internet all sorts of methods, tricks. I even went too conclusion hot air rises which is why top should be exhaust (I researched why put certain air intake in places). My video cards rated too be at 45-50 degree's idle and its at 30 degrees idle at the moment, my CPU's also at 30. But my fans run very quiet and I don't have "smart fan", But I did spend an entire day on my case purely. I was in year 9 and a very bored kid, so if you want to do that go for it :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)