how do you remember all that stuff? (1 Viewer)

E

efast

When i started doing 3U in yr 11, I dont seem to have any problerms understanding 3U math, and in year11 i did very well (very top in year), due to the topics are quite small and my memory just seemed to be better somehow.

However now in year 12 there's alot of topics and i just cant seem to remember them. For example after i did revision for Logs and then move on to Trig, and my brain just forgets the log stuff.

I can do the questions but i kept forgetting how to do them laterwards, even i do them again and again, but I still seems to forgot them.

So the result is that now my Math 3U marks are all the way in the bottom of the year.

Anyone experiencing/experienced the same problem before?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I'm flunking MX1, I made ridiculous mistakes in both Maths and Maths Ext1 but much worse ones in the latter.

I never bother to remember all 17 proofs for Circle Geometry or remember the further trigonometry formulas. I can't even remember proofs.

P

pLuvia

It comes naturally as you constantly practice, maths is all about practice to reinforce all the theorems. There's no point in just memorising the geometric theorems if you are not going apply it to questions, because usually rote learning these theorems won't get you very far, as most HSC questions tend to make you use a multiple of theorems some which are hard to pick out from a simple diagram.

Only advice I can give you is just practice practice practice, if that doesn't help (but usually does) write all the theorems and keep reviewing them

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
pLuvia said:
It comes naturally as you constantly practice, maths is all about practice to reinforce all the theorems. There's no point in just memorising the geometric theorems if you are not going apply it to questions, because usually rote learning these theorems won't get you very far, as most HSC questions tend to make you use a multiple of theorems some which are hard to pick out from a simple diagram.

Only advice I can give you is just practice practice practice, if that doesn't help (but usually does) write all the theorems and keep reviewing them
I agree, practice is the only way you are going to remember all the things you have to do for extension 1 maths, and you would have to constantly review them, since that would make it easier to remember what steps you need to take for these types of questions.

Don't just leave it until the last minute, you will have to constantly revise all those formulas and steps if you are going to do rather well in extension 1 maths.

E

efast

[FONT=&quot]pLuvia[/FONT]<!-- google_ad_section_end --> and SoulSearcher<!-- google_ad_section_end --><script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_2885308", true);</script> , thanks for the advice, i have tried doing alot of practises before exams, well half of my note book is covered in practises.

however the problem is, when i am doing the questions, my mind purely focuses on solving the problem, instead of remembering how to do them, and although the answers i get is often correct, i get stuck one month later doing the same question

what im doing now is writing notes for each topsics, and it has helped me better at remembering methods to do question.

one example i could demostrate is PMI, i can do it easily without any trouble but i have been re-learning the method to do it for more than 3 times. The hard part is not the math, its the words like "suppose true for n=K+1" and similar things

so i will try my best, but other people just seem to remember them, and that is quite brothering me

SoulSearcher

HSC
The thing here is to know and understand the methods that you are using to answer the question, as with understanding of the methods used to answer the question, you are better able to identify what you need to do to solve the question properly, and this will help you in other questions, as you then have understood the methods involved and are then better able to apply them to the questions that you face in extension 1 maths.

Know and understand the work that you are doing, rather than just trying to remember how to do the questions. That's what I would recommend.

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
my head is fucking gigantic i pump it up with a bicycle pump before maths exams so i can remember more

E

efast

SoulSearcher said:
The thing here is to know and understand the methods that you are using to answer the question, as with understanding of the methods used to answer the question, you are better able to identify what you need to do to solve the question properly, and this will help you in other questions, as you then have understood the methods involved and are then better able to apply them to the questions that you face in extension 1 maths.

Know and understand the work that you are doing, rather than just trying to remember how to do the questions. That's what I would recommend.
yeah i know exactly what you are saying, this principe also works for most subjects like chem and physics.

For me i usually try to understand the thoery first then remember the details, and in math 3U, the theory is sometimes too difficult to understand, one example would be the methods used in trig

i have to really force my head to memorise something like this: sin (a+b)=sinAcosB+sinBcosA, and i am not even sure if that's correct, after memorising it for the 3rd time.

like you said soulseacher, a good method to memorise that is to understand why it is like that, but i dont know how to figure it out, which really prevents me from remembering it

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pLuvia

Another way of remembering formulae is by actually trying to derive them, obviously some you need higher maths beyond the level of HSC maths but others you can like

sin(2x)=2sinxcosx
cos(2x)=cos2x-sin2x

These are simple examples but you get the point.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
efast said:
yeah i know exactly what you are saying, this principe also works for most subjects like chem and physics.

For me i usually try to understand the thoery first then remember the details, and in math 3U, the theory is sometimes too difficult to understand, one example would be the methods used in trig

i have to really force my head to memorise something like this: sin (a+b)=sinAcosB+sinBcosA, and i am not even sure if that's correct, after memorising it for the 3rd time.

like you said soulseacher, a good method to memorise that is to understand why it is like that, but i dont know how to figure it out, which really prevents me from remembering it

cheers
little things to help you memorise.
like this one. with sin, the sign stays the same and cos and sin swap. with cos, the cos and sin dont swap but the sign changes.

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
circle geometry is a bitch....
i have trouble with the questions...it basically comes down to how you see/interpret the diagram

theres like 17 properties and you said previously to understand how they are derived?...thats gonna take a loooong while, because circle geometry aint that straightforward

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Do we seriously need to know how EACH of them are derived????

ellen.louise

HSC
efast said:
When i started doing 3U in yr 11, I dont seem to have any problerms understanding 3U math, and in year11 i did very well (very top in year), due to the topics are quite small and my memory just seemed to be better somehow.

However now in year 12 there's alot of topics and i just cant seem to remember them. For example after i did revision for Logs and then move on to Trig, and my brain just forgets the log stuff.

I can do the questions but i kept forgetting how to do them laterwards, even i do them again and again, but I still seems to forgot them.

So the result is that now my Math 3U marks are all the way in the bottom of the year.

Anyone experiencing/experienced the same problem before?
no. only when i dont practise. you sort of end up using logs in trig, trig in logs and both in induction, differentiation, integration, graphing etc. if you do questions like that all the time you don't have room to forget. It helps if your a genius though:cool:

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

HSC
ellen.louise said:
no. only when i dont practise. you sort of end up using logs in trig, trig in logs and both in induction, differentiation, integration, graphing etc. if you do questions like that all the time you don't have room to forget. It helps if your a genius though:cool:
Even then, the person would still need to do work as well to know it well :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)