How do you study 2u mathematics? (1 Viewer)

jarrodoliver1

HSC
I have also posted this thread in mathematics but i believe i may get a better answer from here, my fellow 2013ers.

I'm really struggling to find how to study for it. I'm going to summarise, so possibly complete one question on each type of concept (E.G, each type of Series, limiting sum, geometric etc.) with the formula clearly shown. I may then complete past papers specific to those questions. Would this be a good way to do so? How else would you recommend doing so?

Scheldor

HSC
Use text book questions to learn foundation for topic (also practice questions, particularly the chapter reviews (tests at end of each chapter)). Once you're confident with the topic just spam past papers. If you're losing marks in a specific area (i.e. limiting sum) then go back to the text book, revise the examples and complete more textbook questions.

The summary of each topic is a great idea. But make sure you practice a variety of questions because one example for one topic won't cover the variety of questions that they can give you.

tonytran28

HSC
Everyone has their own way of studying for 2U. I think you should learn the concept and do textbook questions first.
Then when you are confident enough, start doing past papers and for the ones you cannot do, determine why you could not do it.
Personally, I think you should stay ahead of school just to get an advantage. Hope this helps

tonytran28

HSC
Everyone has their own way of studying for 2U. I think you should learn the concept and do textbook questions first.
Then when you are confident enough, start doing past papers and for the ones you cannot do, determine why you could not do it.
Personally, I think you should stay ahead of school just to get an advantage. Hope this helps

Myans

HSC
A nice little trick I used for 4u (and definitely applicable to 3u) is to write up a chart of commonly seen questions. From there, have arrows pointing do the different methods of solving each particular question. This becomes really useful as you will notice your ability to problem solve and react to unseen questions becomes quicker, efficient and accurate. Good luck.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You don't, you swap to 4U and forget 2U exists.

Riaa

HSC
'Monkey see, monkey do.' Make sure all process driven questions are perfectly executed. I.e. Do questions.
For multiple choice though. .they seem to be concept driven and it is always a bonus to understand concepts.

For me, HSC maths is all about practice. The more you expose yourself to questions, the better.
Personally, I believe summaries for subjects like maths are a waste of time, but hey, if it works for you it works for you.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Its really up to you to find a method of studying that works for you but I think the summaries could be a good help - writing out the formulas and the method/s of how to solve particular problems for future reference. For me, I found just doing heaps and heaps of questions really helped. That way you can get familiar with the different ways questions can be asked for a particular topic (if that makes sense), find a particular method of solving a problem that may work for you, and increase the speed at which you can answer questions. Also, another thing you can do is write a list of common mistakes you make with solving particular problems so that you can be aware of where you tend to go wrong with certain questions in the future.

skyscraper

Goin Up
HSC
Have a rulebook with JUST the formulas for maths, all of them. My tutor gave me one and is was a godsend, truly. I called it the godbook it was so useful. I highly reccomend making a rulebook. Also stick up the formulas you find hard to remember on a wall you see often in big text. Helps.

jarrodoliver1

HSC
My teacher already made us up a formula book :D I've slowly started making sticky notes with the formulas as well.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Those who got band 6's in my school practiced alot. As some ppl have said, make sure that you stay in front of the school as it'll be advantageous for you! (Learing the same content twice). Also start going through the HSC papers now and do what you currently can and know. IMO, making your own notes isn't really helpful in maths! The best you can do is write up all the formulas and practice like 10 questions that apply to these formulas. PM me your email address and I'll send you notes for maths (My friend purchased this). I didn't bother studying for maths and slacked off as I found it extremely boring and useless! The best advice is to enjoy it and be passionate abt learning maths. If you hate it, its most likely you won't do well!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I have also posted this thread in mathematics but i believe i may get a better answer from here, my fellow 2013ers.

I'm really struggling to find how to study for it. I'm going to summarise, so possibly complete one question on each type of concept (E.G, each type of Series, limiting sum, geometric etc.) with the formula clearly shown. I may then complete past papers specific to those questions. Would this be a good way to do so? How else would you recommend doing so?
Hello there!

Prior to snr school, I struggled to study for maths and then I turned it around in snr school :)

I started in yr 11 and would make a method book to consolidate my understanding. This book was useful as I would review new things just shortly after we did it, and use other sources to write my own word explanation at the top and then the formulas highlighted and find some easy and then hardtype examples. I did it all throughout yr 11/12 and it was a god send, and easy to navigate as I had it colour coded and page indexed at the front :)

I found with maths the best way to study was to not just do chunks of textbook exercise. It was to get into more exam type questions as soon as you were ready by doing past assessment papers, past HSC exams by topic and going through them after and learning from mistakes. Then for trials and HSC, it was past papersx a million to continually expose yourself to exam type questions.

Also, seeking help from your math teacher for those challenging questions is really vital or the helpful people on BoS :)

madden1010

HSC
You need to keep doing questions. Whenever you're set homework, make sure you do it the day you received it so that it's more likely to stick in your memory. I find doing my homework a few days after I get it just screws me up and I don't remember half of what I was taught the day the homework was set. Also, what my teacher gets us to do is to attempt problem questions more than just once or twice before giving up, and if you still don't get it, write the problem questions (Textbook, Exercise, Question No.) on a sticky note and give it to him to solve so that we can see where we went wrong, and then if we still don't understand, he explains it to us.
On top of just homework, keep practicing writing formulas out to memorise them (helped me a lot with MX1 prelim trigonometry) and just keep doing questions until you are very confident in doing the questions.

Focus is Key

HSC
I make summaries using school-based notes along with online explanations to try and explain things in the easiest way for me to understand. I make a summary of around 2-4 pages for each topic and staple it. The summary usually has an easier and a harder example for each concept. Then I try to move onto excercises and past papers.

Btw I need to make a formula sheet!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)