how do you study for university? (1 Viewer)

what do u do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thesnowman

Banned
HSC
vote in the poll.

P.S I think something's wrong with me, because:

-I fall asleep in lectures
-I print out my lecture notes but I cbf reading it
-I don't read my unit reader/s
-I cbf starting my assessments

does anyone else feel this way, or am I the only one?!

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
I think something's wrong with me to because I...

- cant focus in lectures/sleep/day dream
- print out my notes & plan on learning them but havent really
- flick aimlessly through my required reading but take nothing in
- i have a quiz every tuesday for bio and i freak out over it
- and just 3 weeks into my 1st year of uni and i'm already stressed and have no motivation and feel worse than during the hsc lol.

:eek:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I mostly pay attention in lectures but if the lecturer is boring or can't speak English properly I won't. This session I basically don't listen at all in 2 of my 4 lectures.

I don't:
make notes in lectures
print off the lecture notes (usually I just read them on the computer)
read the textbook or any other extra readings
do any work (e.g homework) that doesn't count towards my overall mark

I do:
study for exams (usually the week before)
put some effort into assessments (but like most people it is usually last minute)

thesnowman

Banned
HSC
K. said:
Its just you
thnx for your input, genius

iamsickofyear12 said:
I mostly pay attention in lectures but if the lecturer is boring or can't speak English properly I won't. This session I basically don't listen at all in 2 of my 4 lectures.

I don't:
make notes in lectures
print off the lecture notes (usually I just read them on the computer)
read the textbook or any other extra readings
do any work (e.g homework) that doesn't count towards my overall mark

I do:
study for exams (usually the week before)
put some effort into assessments (but like most people it is usually last minute)
lol is that all you do? what kind of grades do you get? ;)

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
thesnowman said:
thats what i was about to ask, cos it'd be great if you could make it through uni that way! :D

iamsickofyear12

HSC
thesnowman said:
thnx for your input, genius

Mostly C's and D's
I think last year I got 4 D's, 3 C's and 1 P.

thesnowman

Banned
HSC
Sprinkles~ said:
I think something's wrong with me to because I...

- cant focus in lectures/sleep/day dream
- print out my notes & plan on learning them but havent really
- flick aimlessly through my required reading but take nothing in
- i have a quiz every tuesday for bio and i freak out over it
- and just 3 weeks into my 1st year of uni and i'm already stressed and have no motivation and feel worse than during the hsc lol.

:eek:
maybe it's just the psychology and/or arts students who are THIS lazy :eek:

thesnowman

Banned
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Mostly C's and D's
I think last year I got 4 D's, 3 C's and 1 P.
right then. maybe you're just a fast learner or something =/

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
thesnowman said:
maybe it's just the psychology and/or arts students who are THIS lazy :eek:
lol, quite possibly. oh dear :p

my psych lecturer sent out a random email earlier tonight saying "happy studying" made me laugh because at the time i was bludging on myspace :)

edit: i hope i can do that and get such good marks!!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
thesnowman said:
vote in the poll.

loalz, so i'm not the only one :eek:
I'm still in holiday mode - can't really be fudged to study seriously like i did during the HSC. And i want to get D'S :lol: :(

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Here's what I do; (EDIT: used to do :D)

- Have a ridiculously specific list of stuff to do each day (lecture notes/readings/assignments/exercises)

- Go to all my lectures & tutorials, even though they put me to sleep (I used to print lecture notes but the pages ran into the hundreds so now I just look at them on my computer)

- Don't take any notes in lectures except extra examples or proofs in maths that aren't in the notes (would go for most science/engineering courses I guess), and a few comments in 'humanities-type' courses.

- Go home and write out by hand, word for word (plus the extra comments or examples), all the lecture notes, into a notepad I have for each course. Since my handwriting is illegible I can't use these to study, but I think I get something out of it.

- Summarise each required reading onto 1 A4 handwritten page for courses that have readings

- Set exercises (usually recommended) for maths-type subjects and do them all on the weekend before the corresponding tutorial, or in other subjects do the readings and summarise them before the corresponding lecture

- Start assignments as soon as I get them and aim to finish a week before they're due

- Have a big table with subjects/weeks on my wall with what assessments occur each week (quizzes, due assignments, etc.) and cross them off when I'm done, also have the list of stuff to do on the wall. I like routines :D

- Start preparing for the exams (if they're highly weighted) from the mid semester break onwards, by summarising the content of each course (so it's less thick than the word for word lecture notes)

- Do a shitload of past papers or equivalent before the exams

I think I do too much sometimes, but I like it. And I need to get all HDs this year instead of only 6 :D

Last edited:

thesnowman

Banned
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Here's what I do;

- Have a ridiculously specific list of stuff to do each day (lecture notes/readings/assignments/exercises)

- Go to all my lectures & tutorials, even though they put me to sleep (I used to print lecture notes but the pages ran into the hundreds so now I just look at them on my computer)

- Don't take any notes in lectures except extra examples or proofs in maths that aren't in the notes (would go for most science/engineering courses I guess), and a few comments in 'humanities-type' courses.

- Go home and write out by hand, word for word (plus the extra comments or examples), all the lecture notes, into a notepad I have for each course. Since my handwriting is illegible I can't use these to study, but I think I get something out of it.

- Summarise each required reading onto 1 A4 handwritten page for courses that have readings

- Set exercises (usually recommended) for maths-type subjects and do them all on the weekend before the corresponding tutorial, or in other subjects do the readings and summarise them before the corresponding lecture

- Start assignments as soon as I get them and aim to finish a week before they're due

- Have a big table with subjects/weeks on my wall with what assessments occur each week (quizzes, due assignments, etc.) and cross them off when I'm done, also have the list of stuff to do on the wall. I like routines :D

- Start preparing for the exams (if they're highly weighted) from the mid semester break onwards, by summarising the content of each course (so it's less thick than the word for word lecture notes)

- Do a shitload of past papers or equivalent before the exams

I think I do too much sometimes, but I like it. And I need to get all HDs this year instead of only 6 :D
that's quite nerdy, yet impressive.

I might actually do some of the stuff you do =/

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
thesnowman said:
vote in the poll.

im sure there are many other students who are in the same situation as you

first of all: you need to get an adequate amount of sleep each night...you wont be able to survive on 5-6 hours sleep

for me, when i write the lecture notes from powerpoints/overheads, i summarise them in point form, usually typed, and then when i have to answer a question, i refer back to it, so come exam time, youll save heaps of time writing notes and memorising its concepts (usually in bio)

for chem/maths, i suggest to your tutorials....if you get stuck ask someone for help...practice makes near perfection, so do past papers, past quizzes etc.

if you dont read course outlines, lectures slides, or starting on an assessment, you have to ask yourself...is this course really for me? because if it is, youll be feeling enthusiastic about studying it, so youll wanna quickly learn it

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
thesnowman said:
that's quite nerdy, yet impressive.

I might actually do some of the stuff you do =/
you should
he got a gpgay of 7 or something when he transferred
freek

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
5-6 hours of sleep per day on school days is probably the norm unless you're doing some bludge course and/or do nothing outside of uni.

Skeeta

HSC
I usually take notes in lectures (or make extra notes with my printed out lecture notes) - if theres something I dont understand or feel that is MAJOR and will be in the exam, I go to my textbook and read up on it. Making a few notes

Then study before exams/do assignments and thats pretty much it.

It totally depends on what type of grades you want though. I am happy just to pass, but have maintained a credit average with the amount of work I do. If i do any less work, i find that I dont really understand things, which will bite me in the class when I'm in clinic.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
well this is only my first week so i cant really say much about it. so far i just have some reading to do, and i'm doing it. im planning to type up my lecture notes into something slightly more understandable since i use so many abbreviations, little pictures and shortcuts when i notetake its not funny.

does anyone have any advice on how to get to grips better with stuff you don't really understand? i have to read this stuff for english and i dunno, maybe its the heavily academic way its written but im just not absorbing it/not getting the point/not understanding what the hell its saying.

Tim035

HSC
Umm well so far I:
- Add little notes here and there on the print off for the lectures durring that lecture. When I get home I summarise these on a word document and see if the textbook has anything more I should add to them.
- Do tutorial sets for Maths and Chem.
- Make sure to have larger homework tasks done a couple of days before they are due.

I'm not finding the work I'm doing hard, what I'm finding extremely hard is just the rate at which you move through material at in uni. Especially in maths, its like a new topic every lecture. Matrix to Functions to Trig back to harder matrix to complex numbers.. I just begin to be able to understand what was going on in the last lecture and BAM I'm hit with 10 more rules/formula's etc I have to learn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)