How do you Study? (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I create a summary book on literally every topic in Mathematics ... I don't do General Maths BTW, though it looks tempting now thanks to the only increasing difficulty ...

Intelligence

HSC
utopia_parkway said:
To stop me making stupid mistakes, I take offf a piece of clothing every time I make a mistake. This is like strip poker and it works. It's really cold up here in the snow and it stops me making stupid mistakes

If i did that i would be naked for weeks, lol seriously how can you do that?
What if someone walks in? Youll be like "oh mum im studying" what do you think would her reaction be?
and what happens if your naked and you get it wrong again???

Intelligence

HSC
I see alot of people talking about how easy general is. To you i say Dont Be Arrogant, but rather drop down to our level and try it. You'll be shocked at some stuff. Okay yeah algebra is fine and easy but the other stuff like annuities is the harder part. Besides general focuses on everyday life e.g. loans whilst Mathametics is on abstract occassions and oh yea they're both 2 units so when you ppl say "well i dont do general i doo 222222222 units.".... stop yourself and think before you say it at the verge of sounding like a complete imbecile.

BlackDragon

HSC
practice practice practice, every type of question all the time. practice practice practice. although, i don't do general. :/

Last edited:

Dr_Doom

HSC
Tip:

1) Do all review chapters
2) Go over everything you got wrong until you understand it and do it right
3) Do random questions from each chapter

= WIN

mishyma

HSC
My tutor suggested trial papers and pass papers coz the questions are generaly long er and i find that ill never find a question on some things quite like ones in pass papers in text books.

PC

HSC
N/A
With the exam next week, the only thing you should be doing now is past paper after paper after past paper! Use the text book only a reference point if you come across a question which seems really tough. Save the 2005 HSC paper for the night before or the day before and do it under exam conditions at home.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I know l started this thread, but one important piece of advise l have to give.

Don't ever leave the General Mathematics class (or any class in that matter) without understanding something.

If you don't understand it when its being taught to you, you will get lost because more likely than not, the following lesson is more in depth, and if you don't understand the basics, your screwed.

If you don't understand something, ask your teacher during your own time - like at lunch. Ask them to go through it with you, and make sure that you do understand.

If your still having difficulty, try asking a student who is friendly and who does understand if they could go through it step by step.

If these fail, get a tutor for a few weeks.

There is nothing worse than falling behind in a class. This happened to me in Chemistry. I didn't understand the basics and therefore my whole two years l was lost and confused.

bos1234

HSC
true ^^

i work from the textbook and if i dont know a qn then i ask this site

Itchy.Nox

HSC
Intelligence said:
I see alot of people talking about how easy general is. To you i say Dont Be Arrogant, but rather drop down to our level and try it. You'll be shocked at some stuff. Okay yeah algebra is fine and easy but the other stuff like annuities is the harder part. Besides general focuses on everyday life e.g. loans whilst Mathametics is on abstract occassions and oh yea they're both 2 units so when you ppl say "well i dont do general i doo 222222222 units.".... stop yourself and think before you say it at the verge of sounding like a complete imbecile.
True that.
I dropped down last week to genereal from 2U (previously from 3u) and was on my high horse about how easy i was getting through it, and how i finsihed before everyone, and then we hit statistics topic, and i had to ask things like "How to do a box and whisker plot" and how to do the cumulative frequency. It was terrible!

Just shows how much i've forgotten that what i thought I could do. But now everything is funky ^_^

pitbulloncrack

HSC
It's funny, because in the General course we get alot of kids telling us (from the infamous '2 unit' and 'Extension' courses) that we're doing lamens mathematics.

But I've spoken to some of those guys, who wouldnt even know how to calculate their projected tax, letalone conduct a conversation: "I can calculate the mean of your last test result in about 5 seconds... but i cant talk to a girl"

I think people need to appreciate the relevance to REAL LIFE that is a part of the General course.

guyzbabigal

HSC
yeah, i tend to go thru past papers and the chapter reviews
damn always get Q27 and 28 partly rong
Arghh trials

bokiniec

Not a New Member
HSC
I just find that the best way to study maths is

1. Revise Chapters which will be in the exam/s
2. Work through the multiple choice sections first in all Past Papers
3. Work through the short answer sections in all Past Papers
4. Mark and see if right, If you get below what u want (so like u get <90%), you keep redoing them untill you do by going back to step 1 :D

I am James

HSC
I usually pick a topic (eg: trig) I have trouble with, and work through each part of the question and see how it all goes together. I then do questions. Once I think I have each part of the topic down, I pick another one and repeat. Pen and paper, the computer is too distracting...

abcdeg

HSC
i just do all the chapter reviews and write down the things i might forget so i can go over them later, then i do past papers :)

elmo9t1

HSC
i have the best resourse ever!
my grandpa used to be a senior maths marker for the hsc and rite all the exams and stuff. he also rote textbooks so he comes up and goes thru everything with me. i finished the syllabus a month ago and i only went to general at the start of term 2. its awesome!!
but other than that... just random q's from the txt book.
:spam:

jazzbaby

HSC
i just go through the chapter .... and then do the chapter review and then usually any past papers i can get hold of

kirst21k

HSC
i did all the chapter and section reviews in maths textbook
and now just working on doing past hsc papers, and past trials

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)