How does one 'Top the State'? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Could someone top the state in a subject even if their school ranking is really low?

loaves

HSC
Yes. If you are ranked first in your school you will not be pulled down by your cohort. It's possible for any student to achieve a state rank.

Miscbrah

HSC
Yes. If you are ranked first in your school you will not be pulled down by your cohort. It's possible for any student to achieve a state rank.
So a state rank is solely determined on your performance in the external HSC exams?

OH1995

HSC
If you are coming first internally, than you will get the mark that you get in your externals for your school assessment mark as well as your external exam mark.
As long as you are coming first you can get 100% in externals, which would translate into an assessment mark of 100%.

Fus Ro Dah

HSC
So a state rank is solely determined on your performance in the external HSC exams?
Yes.

But suppose there are a handful of people fighting for say Top 10 in Extension 2 Mathematics and they all got the same marks externally, your school's performance will be taken into account.

I know somebody who just missed out on a State Rank in Extension 2 because although he was very good with Mathematics, his cohort performed quite poorly and dragged him down when it came to separating people who got the same mark as him.

qwerty44

HSC
As long as you are first, no matter your school rank, and then you kill the externals, you can state rank. My school isn't even ranked (600+) and someone topped the state in a subject a few years back.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Yes my school gets state ranks for Chinese Beginners haha, it's top 200. Last year we got 7th for Eng Standard. Before that, General Mathematics.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
How do they determine who got 1st in a subject like 2U where multiple people would get 100% internally and externally?

I know they base it off their 3U mark, but what if some one only does 2U?

barbernator

HSC
Yes.

But suppose there are a handful of people fighting for say Top 10 in Extension 2 Mathematics and they all got the same marks externally, your school's performance will be taken into account.

I know somebody who just missed out on a State Rank in Extension 2 because although he was very good with Mathematics, his cohort performed quite poorly and dragged him down when it came to separating people who got the same mark as him.
Thats Redonkulous. Go to good school --> get same mark as person from bad school --> get better rank. DA FUQ

qwerty44

HSC
How do they determine who got 1st in a subject like 2U where multiple people would get 100% internally and externally?

I know they base it off their 3U mark, but what if some one only does 2U?
I was thinking the same thing.

If you only do 2U and get 100 internal and external, then i can't see a reason not to be first. That's why there are a lot of ties?

enoilgam

HSC
This is what the BOS says "Where students have equal HSC marks, they are then ranked by the average of assessment and exam marks, each taken to one decimal place. In the case of Extension courses, marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration when students are tied." If it is tied after this, then they will award an equal rank (i.e. equal first etc).

Also, it is very much possible for a person to top the state even if their school is poorly ranked. Just as a side note, school rankings are NOT official and are based on the amount of band 6's a school gets. Generally speaking this system is not the most reliable method of ranking schools based on HSC performance.

Last edited:
M

MichelleV

My school has had a couple of people come second over the past few years (in less popular subjects, but none the less, still a good achievement :p)

I went to one of those schools where you just don't know what rank it is because it just isn't within the 300 they normally list :p

goobi

HSC
This is what the BOS says "Where students have equal HSC marks, they are then ranked by the average of assessment and exam marks, each taken to one decimal place. In the case of Extension courses, marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration when students are tied." If it is tied after this, then they will award an equal rank (i.e. equal first etc).

Also, it is very much possible for a person to top the state even if their school is poorly ranked. Just as a side note, school rankings are NOT official and are based on the amount of band 6's a school gets. Generally speaking this system is not the most reliable method of ranking schools based on HSC performance.
I thought they were the same thing??

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
One does not simply top the state in a HSC subject.

ernestcuellar

HSC
If you are ranked first in your school you will not be pulled down by your cohort. It's possible for any student to achieve a state rank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)