• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How exactly do you study english? (1 Viewer)

quite pro

HSC
yeah, i have barely any time to read any fiction, i suppose i can squeeze an hour or so in before i sleep. i was thinking about reading more novels, not sure if it really helped though. thanks for the advice.

~Fire Jade~

HSC
Just read what you need to read. Don't read extra as it packs you up esp in senior years. Don't stress now. It's only yr 10. Imagine the stress in the HSC year. Read your books while you're travelling, eating, before bedtime etc.
Btw, practice reading only in the holidays (when ur not mucking around)...cos u get faster and that's sorta an advantage...

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
hey, I screw up in English as well. I go to Sefton High and only get 50% in English exams. You go to Baulko, so you should be fine.

I dont really study english but my friends you can study for it. It depends on what topic you are doing. Say if you are doing newspapers, you can study by practising how to write feature articles, pratice the jargon for newspapers like masthead.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SChool Certificate aim: all band 6's (worried if I will get that for English)

HSC subjects (considering): Advanced English, 3 unit Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Business Studies, Ancient History.

uai aim:

if I stay at sefton, then it'll be: 95+
if change to fort street, then it'll be: 98+
if change to sydney girls, then it'll be: 99+

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hey - you know - you don't have to copy and paste your signature for every single post :D

You can just change it here.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
i didn't study for english and got 89% :p
I love last year's paper it had an article about barry hall in it!

mellie.c

HSC
go to www4.boardofstudies.com they have past exams there.mostly u just look over structure of text types, language techniques camera angles n all that. . .whatever skills your learning in class.that's for year 10 anyway

ttrinix

HSC
heyy, i am in the same position as you and yes, i do go to Baulko (yr 9).

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Studying for english can be very difficult if you're not really sure what to do. It is hard to pick up a good habit now that most of us, if not all are past/in year 10. The best thing to start with is learn key words that will help you in all exams.... These include:
Describe
Evaluate
Define.... etc.etc.

Make sure you practice and practice and practice your writing skills. Essay questions are the best for this because and essay can be broken down to suit any question whatever. If you are having trouble with essays ask your teacher or maybe start with your parts broken up then try to work them into each other.

Reading... Books are the best source of information (apart from the internet sometimes). Your vocabulary can increase dramatically simply by reading books at your level and beyond. I recommend "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. If you have not already read this novel.

If all else fails... get proper tutoring... they would be able to help a fair bit more than we can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)