How exactly does the HSC work? (1 Viewer)

breka

HSC
hi guys, i'm in year 10 right now and i was wondering how the hsc works?
i heard you come back as a year 12 student in term 4 and that all the work you do starting that term counts towards your atar straight away?

what about all the assessments and exams in school? how does that work? ... i know there are the trial hsc exams in about the second term on your year 12 course and the final hsc external exam, but besides that what else counts towards your atar?

oh and any tips and pointers to get a high atar score... besides the usual work hard... thanks

Last edited:

Sarebs

HSC
Well I can explain a bit.

Yes you start your year 12 year in T4 the year before.

Your assessment marks from that term count towards your HSC. All of your assessments and in-school testing goes towards your assessment rank, which makes up half of your HSC mark (for most subjects, VA and DT are different). The other half comes from your HSC exam.

It's basic but I hope it helps.

breka

HSC
Well I can explain a bit.

Yes you start your year 12 year in T4 the year before.

Your assessment marks from that term count towards your HSC. All of your assessments and in-school testing goes towards your assessment rank, which makes up half of your HSC mark (for most subjects, VA and DT are different). The other half comes from your HSC exam.

It's basic but I hope it helps.
thanks a lot, it does help, and thank you xcelz, it does sound very complicated
could you explain visual art please? i'm really into art and i'll probably be taking it up as an elective, what's this 'body of art' i keep hearing from year 12s?

Sarebs

HSC
thanks a lot, it does help, and thank you xcelz, it does sound very complicated
could you explain visual art please? i'm really into art and i'll probably be taking it up as an elective, what's this 'body of art' i keep hearing from year 12s?
Okay I do Visual Arts, but I'm not even sure how it works.

Body of art, aka body of work (BoW), is the major practical you do for year 12. I *think* it counts for half of your overall mark, but I'm not sure.

Then I'm guessing HSC exam = 25%
Internal assessment = 25%

But they're just guesses, I wish I knew lol.

breka

HSC
that sounds a little odd, arent you doing your hsc now? shouldn't the teachers or whoever inform you about what your suppose to do in the hsc course...?

so im guessing that this BOW is basically a collection of artworks you create.. and has a specific theme?

scardizzle

Salve!
HSC
That's the thing, as a student you don't really get informed about how things work by your school, you usually have to find out for yourself. Also some teachers dont know how it works either :p

Sarebs

HSC
that sounds a little odd, arent you doing your hsc now? shouldn't the teachers or whoever inform you about what your suppose to do in the hsc course...?

so im guessing that this BOW is basically a collection of artworks you create.. and has a specific theme?
Yeah, I'm doing my HSC, but the teacher couldn't explain that kind of stuff very well, and most of us weren't interested in all of that stuff.

It can be one piece or a group of artworks, and yeah if it's more than one they'll be linked together theme-wise.

lychnobity

HSC
hi guys, i'm in year 9 right now and i was wondering how the hsc works?
i heard you come back as a year 12 student in term 4 and that all the work you do starting that term counts towards your atar straight away?

what about all the assessments and exams in school? how does that work? ... i know there are the trial hsc exams in about the second term on your year 12 course and the final hsc external exam, but besides that what else counts towards your atar?

oh and any tips and pointers to get a high atar score... besides the usual work hard... thanks
use the search function. it's all there.

q3thefish

HSC
You add a teaspoon of anxiety, a pinch of happiness and 20 tablespoons of sorrow.

That's the HSC.

Oh and er, the secret ingredient is satisfaction but you only add that in the end - when everything is ready, that is.

hecheeseman

HSC
with the body of work your assesment marks are still 50% of your total mark for art, its just that 25% of that is theory and 25% is prac. same with final hsc so your body of work is worth 25% overall of your hsc mark and your final theory exam during the hsc period is worth 25% which is half of what all of the other hsc exams are worth :)

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
hi guys, i'm in year 9 right now and i was wondering how the hsc works?

u go inside da hall with ur yr in sit da exam in silence for 4-6hrs duuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
You add a teaspoon of anxiety, a pinch of happiness and 20 tablespoons of sorrow.

That's the HSC.

Oh and er, the secret ingredient is satisfaction but you only add that in the end - when everything is ready, that is.
Satisfaction is the icing on top of the cake.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
well year 11 lasts for 3 terms (for you, itll be terms 1-3 of 2010)
none of that counts towards your ATAR/HSC
however, in term 4 of 2010 you will start year 12 work, and from then on, any assessments you do COUNT!

what happens is, for each subject you will have a number of assessments, plus the half yearlys (which are in about april), plus the trials (which are in august usually) and all of these are used to calculate your final assessment RANK which is used in the process of calculating your assessment mark (which is 50% of ur final HSC mark)

the other 50% comes from ur exam mark-- the mark you get in you actual HSC exams, which are in october (ie. right now :()

thats the HSC in a nutshell i guess, but theres so much more technical crap to it in the calculation of marks, etc.

whateva u do, dont stress too much for your school certificate, have FUN, because once you get to year 12 you'll realise that the SC is a joke :)

istudy

HSC
Hey the marks you get at school, does that affect your ATAR? Or only your rankings within the school?

stF-vampyre

HSC
^ re the above

theyre not sortve mutually exclusive [im almost finished my hsc and i only JUST figured this out like a month or two ago]

anyway so school marks contribute to your ranking, which is pretty much your "fallback" for the hsc in case you totally stuff it up.

what they do is for whatever subject and rank you after, after you've done your hsc they'll place your school as a whole in its rank in the state- eg your school is like mine and ranked 20th. THEN in relation to you rank you get sorted accordingly to the students in your school doing that exam. and marks are then allocated down the ladder essentially..

so you could be ranked 5th and get 99%, but if thats the top mark, the person ranked 1st gets that mark. you get the 5th highest mark.

but, i think there are also ways where rank isnt the go-to, you know? Im not 100% how that works, i think if you beat the person ranked above you by a fair amount- showing perhaps theyre just slacking off- i think your able to take their rank and move up, getting the higher mark. Anyway so your rankings are the main thing the ATAR goes on- but school marks form 50% of your final atar marks, so dont slack off thinking its only the exams at the end. its the progress throughout. Essentially really, is got almost nothing to do with your hsc and more about your performance during the year, cause if you have a good rank all you need to do is average and you'll keep that rank, and the mark for it.

also for whoever wanted to know about what helps for yr12, although its like months later, NOTES. you dont even need to work that hard, seriously. its gradual. but DO YOUR NOTES. 2 weeks before exams have your notes DONE [haha, as if] because all you need to do is read them once or twice for those 14 days and you'll remember it all, trust me. even if not, for the more difficult subjects like ancient, or chem or whatever, do notes as you go. its a drag and you get lazy, but honestly its so much easier than trying to scrounge it all back up 3 months later a few weeks before your exams. thats all i got hehe

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)