How hard is it to get a 90 atar (1 Viewer)

beaubrah

HSC
I would love to get a 90 atar but I'm not the top guy I'm like a rank 20ish. How much effort is needed

HSC 2015- Goal:90+ ATAR

Fonzie32

HSC
Go to class, listen, take notes, do your work, do your homework, do your assignments to the best of your ability, don't just aim to pass, study throughout the year and not just before exams, do as many past papers as you can, do practice questions, do questions with your mates, study groups etc. Don't think of the HSC as an enemy.

Studying for the HSC has its ups and downs, but when you finish the HSC, you will realise it is the most fun thing you have done. Why? Because you just experience so much.

I know it sounds like granny talk. My parents always told me school was the best thing you can do, I always told them "I want to get out of school and work, school is so shit"
Now I've finished my HSC, I want to go back to school so badly. You won't realise how much fun school is even with assignments and shit. You have no worries in school, no responsibility and are so free to hang out with friends.

Yeah I know this is off topic, but I thought I'd be some motivation for you to try your very best.

Just remember, study is the key. Your teachers are the most valuable resource for information.

Good luck!!

enoilgam

HSC
I know it sounds like granny talk. My parents always told me school was the best thing you can do, I always told them "I want to get out of school and work, school is so shit"
Now I've finished my HSC, I want to go back to school so badly. You won't realise how much fun school is even with assignments and shit. You have no worries in school, no responsibility and are so free to hang out with friends.
So true - I didnt really enjoy the HSC, although I did enjoy school (i.e. hanging with mates etc). Looking back, I definitely regret not having more fun. By all means try in school, but dont get too stressed out if you dont have to (it isnt the work that kills you, it's the stress).

Back on topic, the amount of effort for 90 really depends on the individual. Some people can do almost nothing beyond showing up to class and reading the textbook, whilst others will kill themselves and only get 75. For the average person, I'd say an ATAR of 90 is somewhat difficult - you need to make a consistent effort and go beyond doing your homework and showing up to class.

theaveragestudent

HSC
Can someone tell me if this is too much workload for where I am standing in my school?

Subjects:

-Ext 1 Maths (I am in doubt I am going to come in the bottom 25% of the grade)
-Advanced English (I have been doing somewhat bad in English from year 8-10 and should be doing Standard)
-Chemistry (I find Chemistry very interesting and somewhat easy to understand)
-Physics (I find it a litter harder than Chemistry but I have interest in it and I also have tutor for support)
-Economics (I am interested in Eco but I think I might have difficulty in processing the theory later on)
-Music 1 (I play the Violin and I am currently doing 7th grade but I find the subject sort of boring and can't find time to practice. Also I'm in doubt of the scaling for Music 1)

Some things about me:
-Just started year 11
-I go to Carlingford High School a school ranked about 120th in the state.
-I am willing to spend time on my work/homework but I cant manage my time in a efficient manner. I also tend to spend most of my time on Maths although I'm doing below average in.
-I have somewhat poor time management. (Im trying to improve this)
-Stuggled In Maths for the past 3 years getting around 60%-75% in tests
-I have tutors for Maths, Chem and Phys.
-I am an average student around 120/200 in my grade.
-I should be doing Standard English but I have chosen to take a leap and try Advanced because of better scaling and because I slacked off in class perviously and now I want to start fresh.
-Not sure whether or not I should drop to 2 unit Maths
-I am thinking of dropping a subject in year 12 but not sure which one
-I am aiming for an ATAR of 90+ aswell
-I want to do either Electrical Engineering, Commerce, Economics in Uni

Any advice would help me out a lot! Thanks guys! Sorry for the looooong post! :) (btw this is my first post so excuse the clumsiness!)
:spin:

Last edited:

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Go across the road and chat with Ruse kids.

Haha but in all seriousness, the subjects you've picked show that you are capable I'm assuming. And hence you are defs on your way to 90 atar if you keep good study habits. If you find those subjects hard then drop to a more capable subject as they are all heavy going

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Can someone tell me if this is too much workload for where I am standing in my school?

Subjects:

-Ext 1 Maths (I am in doubt I am going to come in the bottom 25% of the grade)
-Advanced English (I have been doing somewhat bad in English from year 8-10 and should be doing Standard)
-Chemistry (I find Chemistry very interesting and somewhat easy to understand)
-Physics (I find it a litter harder than Chemistry but I have interest in it and I also have tutor for support)
-Economics (I am interested in Eco but I think I might have difficulty in processing the theory later on)
-Music 1 (I play the Violin and I am currently doing 7th grade but I find the subject sort of boring and can't find time to practice. Also I'm in doubt of the scaling for Music 1)

Some things about me:
-Just started year 11
-I go to Carlingford High School a school ranked about 120th in the state.
-I am willing to spend time on my work/homework but I cant manage my time in a efficient manner. I also tend to spend most of my time on Maths although I'm doing below average in.
-I have somewhat poor time management. (Im trying to improve this)
-Stuggled In Maths for the past 3 years getting around 60%-75% in tests
-I have tutors for Maths, Chem and Phys.
-I am an average student around 120/200 in my grade.
-I should be doing Standard English but I have chosen to take a leap and try Advanced because of better scaling and because I slacked off in class perviously and now I want to start fresh.
-Not sure whether or not I should drop to 2 unit Maths
-I am thinking of dropping a subject in year 12 but not sure which one
-I am aiming for an ATAR of 90+ aswell
-I want to do either Electrical Engineering, Commerce, Economics in Uni

Any advice would help me out a lot! Thanks guys! Sorry for the looooong post! :) (btw this is my first post so excuse the clumsiness!)
:spin:
Hi there,
Welcome to bored of studies:), the main advice I would give you is to exert good time management habits and to avoid excessive worry over scaling, just focus on doing the best you would and putting consistent effort in into all of your subjects and you will reap the rewards. Check out a senior study guide I have complied that includes much more specific tips on assisting you to ace your English, Maths and Science subjects as well as a few other subjects popular in the HSC, it also includes general study tips which you will find extremely helpful for giving you some extra guidance on how you can ace year 12 as well. Hope this helps-any questions, welcome to ask any time:)
http://community.boredofstudies.org...how-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a.html

theaveragestudent

HSC
Go across the road and chat with Ruse kids.

Haha but in all seriousness, the subjects you've picked show that you are capable I'm assuming. And hence you are defs on your way to 90 atar if you keep good study habits. If you find those subjects hard then drop to a more capable subject as they are all heavy going
hahah thanks for the advice! I have talked to Ruse kids and they say they are doing average in their grade. Which means top of mine!

theaveragestudent

HSC
Thanks for the help Strawberrye! I will definitely invest some time to read that document you attached and hopefully improve my habits! :) and thanks for the warm welcome!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)