How hard is it to get into Grad Medicine at usyd from B medical science? (1 Viewer)

tickleyouemo

HSC
I've recently completed my HSC and have placed B Medical Science at usyd as my first preference in hope of getting into grad medicine later on. I'm just wondering .. about what percentage of people doing MedSci get into medicine or dentistry? and what marks or averages would i need to obtain to get into grad medicine or dentistry?

Thanks in advance! :)

Dylanamali

HSC
Very hard, I'd say.

5.5 GPA is the threshold which is quite easy.
The GAMSAT score required though is above 67, which is about 94%ile. And that's the minimum score.
Then you still have to perform well in the interview.

tickleyouemo

HSC
Very hard, I'd say.

5.5 GPA is the threshold which is quite easy.
The GAMSAT score required though is above 67, which is about 94%ile. And that's the minimum score.
Then you still have to perform well in the interview.
What do people usually do if they aren't able to get into medicine from medical science? Do they just graduate from B medical science and hope to find a job? :/

Dylanamali

HSC
If Medicine is your desired course, you should try as many times as possible and to all the medical schools in Australia.

E.g. You should ideally sit the UMAT in each of the years of your Medical Science degree and sit the GAMSAT twice during that period.
You should apply to all medical schools in AUS to maximise your chance of getting accepted. Whilst, gaining entry into USYD is difficult and very hard, gaining entry into other medical schools in Australia will be slightly easier if not significantly.

I'd say that a good proportion of med-hopefuls in science based courses eventually get into Medicine through persistence and a good work ethic. But yeah, generally those that don't get in can either find a career using their degree, e.g. research in labs OR further study e.g. Hons or phD to become an academic.
OR they can use their degree to propel them into a postgraduate course e.g. a masters of Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, JD in Law etc. Because the degree is only 3 years it puts you in a good place to do a postgrad degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)