How Hard Is University? (1 Viewer)

HSC
TBH I will be content with getting Pass in Uni.

Are the lecture things useful? Are they compulsory...?

Do you guys use your textbooks a lot?

Thanks.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
you should try to aim for a credit average. I don't use my textbooks at all. Chances of me buying them for next semester are quite small now.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Aiming for a pass is just setting yourself up to fail. You should realistically aim for a credit average as a minimum. Consider your degree as a three year investment. You invest time, you gain knowledge. The more time you invest, the more knowledge you gain. Your job prospects will not be enhanced by a pass average so why aim for it?

spence

HSC
ConquerDiscover said:
TBH I will be content with getting Pass in Uni.

Are the lecture things useful? Are they compulsory...?

Do you guys use your textbooks a lot?

Thanks.
Lectures are useful, but not compulsory. Lots of people don't go, but I find them helpful for most subjects (although the business subjects I did had detailed lecture slides provided which made the lectures less useful)

KarmaKitten

HSC
I have always done better in subjects when I attended lectures. Its incredibly hard to stay on top of the subject if you dont attend lectures and im too lazy to always do my study at home.

So I'd advise attending lectures, or atleast most of them

williamc

HSC
University is as hard as you want to make it.

Assuming you are relatively intelligent as most of the people on this board seem to be, you can do fuck all and scrape through with Pass', and a few credit.

If you treat it like most of you did for the HSC you will be fine, just dont be disapointed if you only get a 65 or 70 when at Uni that is good.

sirfeathers

HSC
about what % of people get passes, credit, distinctions, high distinctions... or is this different for every course?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
I don't know how many times I'll have to repost this in the future

according to the chart, top 10% on average get HDs. Credits account for the most scores.

that bloke

HSC
Will Shakespear said:
it's actually pretty shit, lol
what he said. All too hard. Just drop out and work at maccas. I hear the social scene at maccas is chronic??

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
darkwolfzx said:
I don't know how many times I'll have to repost this in the future

according to the chart, top 10% on average get HDs. Credits account for the most scores.
that is PER SUBJECT.

its alot harder to actually maintain a HD average for the whole year, let alone for the ENTIRE 3/4/5 years.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
that bloke said:
what he said. All too hard. Just drop out and work at maccas. I hear the social scene at maccas is chronic??
65 - 70 is shit
85+ is good

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
Credits account for the most scores.
Yes credits do appear to account for the most. However that graph is misleading on distributions, particularly where the median lies.

The graph is not "cumulative proportion of all grades", but rather "cumulative proportion of all passes".

It's possible, though I'm making no judgment in this regard, that when fails are taking into account, the median grade for all students is a pass or less. It's possible the cumulative total of students acheiving pass + students acheiving a fail is less than the total of students achieving a credit or above. So the most would be = <credit. Hell, the most common grade could be a fail. Need more information.

sirfeathers

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
I don't know how many times I'll have to repost this in the futurequote]

lol i'm sorry. yeah it would be hard to maintain HDs and Ds for your subjects across your entire degree...

HSC
whatashotbyseve said:
Aiming for a pass is just setting yourself up to fail. You should realistically aim for a credit average as a minimum. Consider your degree as a three year investment. You invest time, you gain knowledge. The more time you invest, the more knowledge you gain. Your job prospects will not be enhanced by a pass average so why aim for it?
I aim for what I can realistically achieve - Pass or Credit (if credit is the next thing after pass).

The job prospects of two people who succesfully completed the same degree but got different grades will still be exactly the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)