• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how is ext. 1 ? help ! (2 Viewers)

P

pLuvia

You should try the 3u course, considering your still in year 10 and you are accelerating I presume? You have time to correct your mistakes etc.

In 3u, you learn mathematical induction, furthur circle geometry, umm what else. I'm not sure what's in the 2u course, but you learn some extra topics in the 3u course, plus furthur topics in some/most of the 2u course.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Just do it. Who cares, it's not like you *have to* keep it anyway :rolleyes: You can always try it and drop it later if you really think you can't handle it, what have you got to lose?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
pLuvia said:
You should try the 3u course, considering your still in year 10 and you are accelerating I presume? You have time to correct your mistakes etc.

In 3u, you learn mathematical induction, furthur circle geometry, umm what else. I'm not sure what's in the 2u course, but you learn some extra topics in the 3u course, plus furthur topics in some/most of the 2u course.
well im not actually accelerating .. its just the things ive learnt in tudor and looking through the textbooks ..

SoulSearcher said:
Page 6 in the syllabus:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/maths23u_syl.pdf

Basically, the new stuff would be induction, circle geometry, parametrics, permutation and combinations, inverse trigonometry and binomial theorem, the jist of the new topics in extension 1 maths.
wow .. thanks for that ^^

and damnn .. just the names of the topics scare me !! ><"

airie said:
Just do it. Who cares, it's not like you *have to* keep it anyway :rolleyes: You can always try it and drop it later if you really think you can't handle it, what have you got to lose?
well that is true .. im just not really into coming out of my comfort zone .. 2u im really fine with and ii find it as a fun subject for yrs 11 & 12. but when ii think of 3u ii really dont think ii can do it. my teacher keeps telling me that ii should choose something that ii can get high marks in rather than choose a subject that ill do meh in ><" so yeahh .. ii dunos ><"

ronaldinho said:
y r u putting double ii
SoulSearcher said:
Way she normally types it? :eek:
* nodds * .. its a habit of mine ><"

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
well that is true .. im just not really into coming out of my comfort zone .. 2u im really fine with and ii find it as a fun subject for yrs 11 & 12. but when ii think of 3u ii really dont think ii can do it. my teacher keeps telling me that ii should choose something that ii can get high marks in rather than choose a subject that ill do meh in ><" so yeahh .. ii dunos ><"
At least attempt the subject, if you find that you cannot copw with it after a while then drop the subject. You sound like you are fine with the 2 unit course and as such you should be able to focus on extension 1 maths a bit more, which will let you do better in it :)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
At least attempt the subject, if you find that you cannot copw with it after a while then drop the subject. You sound like you are fine with the 2 unit course and as such you should be able to focus on extension 1 maths a bit more, which will let you do better in it :)
hmm yeahh ii think ii will .. ill also look through the 3u textbooks and like see and yeahh .. =/ ahah .. thanks soulsearcher =]

muttiah

Banned
HSC
if u practice maths everyday and study properly.. do homeowrk and DONT fall behind.. u can even do 4 unit maths.. the senior leevl maths is different to junior level...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
ii need to kick the habit as well. ii'm trying, but ii just can't seem the stop.
She doesn't do the ii in "im" and you need some smilies like ><" and =] that she often uses :p

sle3pe3bumz: agreed with SoulSearcher, just try it out at the least. ;)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
muttiah said:
if u practice maths everyday and study properly.. do homeowrk and DONT fall behind.. u can even do 4 unit maths.. the senior leevl maths is different to junior level...
hmm .. it sounds easy enough .. although ii dont think it is ><" umm well .. like ii said .. as much as id love to do 4u, its just really out of my reach right now ><" & i'd have to agree with you on that .. junior level maths SUCKS ! ><" .. arghh .. its so stupid ! LOL ..

Riviet said:
She doesn't do the ii in "im" and you need some smilies like ><" and =] that she often uses :p

sle3pe3bumz: agreed with SoulSearcher, just try it out at the least. ;)
AHAHA .. omgg .. ii feel as if you've known me my whole life Riviet ahah .. my friends wouldnt even know that ! XD

hmmm yeah ii think ii will go & try the 3u .. as everybody says, ive got nothing to lose ! =] all ii have to do is try get my teacher to support me ! ^^"

btw .. the people who do 3u. do they actually have to know like some of the 2u course in year 10 to get into the 3u course ? or like do some just start fresh from the 2u course & also do the 3u course ?

& when people say they study like 3 hrs/day does that also incl. just hw ? or it just is the hw ? LOL ? its just been on my mind a few times .. ahaha .. thanks guys ^^

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I haven't even *seen* a 2u textbook, even as of now. :p And when you do 3u, you just get a 3u textbook that kinda integrates the 2u knowledge into the course :)

I don't know about others, but I certainly don't study for 3h every day, everything included :p Then again, I'm lazy XP

ronaldinho

Banned
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
hmm .. it sounds easy enough .. although ii dont think it is ><" umm well .. like ii said .. as much as id love to do 4u, its just really out of my reach right now ><" & i'd have to agree with you on that .. junior level maths SUCKS ! ><" .. arghh .. its so stupid ! LOL ..

lol its not easy.. procastination is da biggest killoer of hsc students :S! its a disease i tells ya!!!

& when people say they study like 3 hrs/day does that also incl. just hw ? or it just is the hw ? LOL ? its just been on my mind a few times .. ahaha .. thanks guys ^^
lol its not easy.. procastination is da biggest killoer of hsc students :S! its a disease i tells ya!!!

homeowrk and they do advanced stuff... trial papers etc

ronaldinho

Banned
HSC
do u do advanced or intermediate maths? if u do advanced.. at the beginning of year 11 u do year 10 basic stuff.. like algebra etc.. then u start doing new things... like calculus etc..

SoulSearcher

HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
btw .. the people who do 3u. do they actually have to know like some of the 2u course in year 10 to get into the 3u course ? or like do some just start fresh from the 2u course & also do the 3u course ?

Well, usually people would start off with the knowledge they have in their year 9 and 10 courses, so basically they start off fresh, the first topic is introductory algebra, I think anyway, so it just starts off from there :)

As for the study, I would assume it woulld be study only, not including homework, although I wouldn't know about that, because I can't even study an hour a night :eek:

Last edited:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
airie said:
I haven't even *seen* a 2u textbook, even as of now. :p And when you do 3u, you just get a 3u textbook that kinda integrates the 2u knowledge into the course :)

I don't know about others, but I certainly don't study for 3h every day, everything included :p Then again, I'm lazy XP
.. oh okaaay .. hmmmms ..

LOLS ! .. so if ii was to ask how much time you spend on school a day .. like study, hw .. just for an average day .. what would you guys say ? diff. thoughts would be very appreciated .. ^^

ronaldinho said:

homeowrk and they do advanced stuff... trial papers etc
ahahah .. yeah thats what ive been told ><" ii should really get into really good habits shouldnt ii ?

hmmms .. so it does incl. homework ?

ronaldinho said:
do u do advanced or intermediate maths? if u do advanced.. at the beginning of year 11 u do year 10 basic stuff.. like algebra etc.. then u start doing new things... like calculus etc..
ii do advanced maths .. & algebra im fully capable of .. actually very fun .. ^^ LOL

SoulSearcher said:
Well, usually people would start off with the knowledge they have in their year 9 and 10 courses, so basically they start off fresh, the first topic is introductory algebra, I think anyway, so it just starts off from there :)

As for the study, I would assume it woulld be study only, not including homework, although I wouldn't know about that, because I can't even study an hour a night :eek:
hmm .. so what actually seperates the people going into 2u & the people going into 3u ? is there much of a difference ?

& LOL! .. ahah .. maaaan .. but your so smart ! LOL xD

SoulSearcher

HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
.. oh okaaay .. hmmmms ..

LOLS ! .. so if ii was to ask how much time you spend on school a day .. like study, hw .. just for an average day .. what would you guys say ? diff. thoughts would be very appreciated .. ^^
1 hour a day, at most, unless I'm cramming for an exam :eek: You should be doing more that this, for sure :uhhuh:
sle3pe3bumz said:
ahahah .. yeah thats what ive been told ><" ii should really get into really good habits shouldnt ii ?

hmmms .. so it does incl. homework ?
You should have some good study habits, indeed you should :)
sle3pe3bumz said:
hmm .. so what actually seperates the people going into 2u & the people going into 3u ? is there much of a difference ?

& LOL! .. ahah .. maaaan .. but your so smart ! LOL xD
Well, basically ability and effort. I've seen people who are definately capable of doing well in 3 unit fail because they just don't put in the effort.
Not that smart :eek:

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Well, basically ability and effort. I've seen people who are definately capable of doing well in 3 unit fail because they just don't put in the effort.
Not that smart :eek:
hmm .. so your saying almost anybody could do 3u maths, but it just depends on their effort ? is 3u maths very time consuming ? do people find it more of a priority than the other subjects ?

& yes you are very smart ! ><"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)