How is the SC Results Marked and Bands Allocated. (1 Viewer)

mxl

HSC
Hi,

Ive read on the sticky that they half your "raw" mark and add 50 to it although that post was posted on 2006 so marking or whatever may have changed and can anyone explain?

Thanks.

jonowang

HSC
isnt it pretty much marked the same way as it was before?

silence--

HSC
where did you read that? wtf...

as far as i know you just get marked for what you get right, like any other test. not sure if there is any alligning

Amogh

HSC
N/A
There is aligning for bands.
Examiners may decide to make 88+ a band 6, so all 88s will be made to 90s and other marks will also increase proportionally.
atleast thats what my teacher said.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
if they divide by 2 and add 50 then its not necessary that you may get decimals
arent SC marks not in 1/2s, 1/4s etc.?

imo it doesnt really matter though
just try your best...=s

mxl

HSC
Obviously ill try my best and get a satisfactory mark i was just wondering if that was true, and if it wasn't why is it stickied?

Edit: "arent SC marks not in 1/2s, 1/4s etc.?", They aren't but if say you got 72.8 it would be logical to be pushed up to 73.

FTW

HSC
http://community.boredofstudies.org...ficate/159244/sc-marking-results-process.html

Thats where i read the "raw" mark being divided by 2 and 50 added to it, although i have heard they changed it to 40 instead of 50. Is this true?
No I don't think that is true. They mark your paper (not in half mark i think) and then you marks are alligned e.g. The markers may decide that 84/100 is worth a band 6 so all the marks that are 84 will be pushed up to 90 etc.

If you read all the posts by cem, then you will have a better understanding of how it works, because friends of hers have marked the school certificate papers and she herself has marked some HSC modern history papers.

It is just a myth that writing your name gives you 50% because they tests are quite easy and get alligned well, but there is still around 1-2% of the state that get a band 1.

Woot 100 posts :)

mxl

HSC
Then whats all this dividing your "raw" mark by 2 and adding 50 to it? That cem was saying.

silence--

HSC
it was a joke

you shouldn't even write your name. it's not allowed lol. you get a student number.

FTW

HSC
Then whats all this dividing your "raw" mark by 2 and adding 50 to it? That cem was saying.
No, I think she meant it seems that it is calculated that way, because the marks are alligned so high, just for the government to say that on 1% of students are failing in NSW.

If you took your raw mark eg 2 and added 50, even under extreme circumstances that a student didn't even write on the paper, then it would still mean they would pass and get a band 2. This isn't true, as then it would be impossible for a band 1.

0/50 + 50 = 50 which is band 2 equivilent.

mxl

HSC
Then how are the marks scaled because in the trials ALOT of people i know got below 50% and these aren't the typical stupid shits that walk around it would be odd to see them get band 1's..

FTW

HSC
Then how are the marks scaled because in the trials ALOT of people i know got below 50% and these aren't the typical stupid shits that walk around it would be odd to see them get band 1's..
trials are generally harder than the school certificate papers. Also you forgot to remember that the marks get alligned. So for example lets say one of your friends got 44% in science, in the school certificate. The markers may decide that 44/100 = band 3 so then their mark would 60. But just remember the school certificate papers are quite easy and if you want to practise them you can go to School Certificate - Board of Studies NSW http://www.b

mxl

HSC
Oh i see although if the sticky isn't right i think it should be taken down seeing as its giving false information or maybe i just misread it.

Thanks though, More replies and information is welcome.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

cem was NOT saying that. Actually what I was saying was that that was a myth and that there is a serious approach to the exam - I was refuting the students who, every year, come here and say the same thing and then others believe them.

The SC is aligned in the same way as the HSC.

All that happens is that the exams are marked and then an aligning team comes together and determines the cut-offs for the different bands e.g. 83 might be moved up to 90, 68 to 80, 48 - 70, 33 - 60 and 16 - 50.

That means that the very few students who get less than 16% as a raw mark will be reported as Band 1 and these figures are reducing every year just as the numbers reaching Band 6 are increasing every year.

mxl

HSC
Cem, Thanks for replying first of all but all the examples u gave if u divided that "raw" mark by 2 and added 50 it resulted in the mark u said it MAY be alligned to :p.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Such stupidity. By this reasoning, 0/2 + 50 = 50, which means you get Band 2 for not turning up!

mxl

HSC
Such stupidity. By this reasoning, 0/2 + 50 = 50, which means you get Band 2 for not turning up!
uh.... If u didn't turn up u would get a "Non-Serious Attempt" or a "Non-Attempt" which means a Automatic 0. For SITTING the exam you are expected to pass because of the leniency of the marking and alignment from what i have gathered.

Don't talk without thinking, Stupid Reject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)