How long to memorise? URGENT (1 Viewer)

jonniejock

HSC
I have a Mod B/C exam tomorrow at 9am. I plan to memorise around 1500 words in responses before then, with 700 words being written already. I'm willing to stay up until 2am (currently 7pm) and estimate it will take me around 3 hours to complete the rest of my 800 words. Is it possible to memorise 1500 words in 4 hours?

P.S. I have experience memorising scripts and such for Drama, and have been able to memorise around 800 words in an hour on a tight turn around. Is memorising imaginative and evaluative responses more time consuming?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies :)

UPDATE: It is 4:30am. 4 hours until the exam. I have not done anything since making this post and I have not slept... Going to pull an all nighter and hope that these next four hours are majorly slay...

Last edited:

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
It is - do what you feel instinctual and best. Personally I am not really that much of a memoriser. I would just memorise the main ideas by chunking it down into paragraphs and then adapt later on...

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

God Did
HSC
If it's a set question and you feel confident in your abilities to memorise all 1500 words, by all means

However, I probably wouldn't memorise your reflection given your time frame ...

vishnay

God
HSC
I have a Mod B/C exam tomorrow at 9am. I plan to memorise around 1500 words in responses before then, with 700 words being written already. I'm willing to stay up until 2am (currently 7pm) and estimate it will take me around 3 hours to complete the rest of my 800 words. Is it possible to memorise 1500 words in 4 hours?

P.S. I have experience memorising scripts and such for Drama, and have been able to memorise around 800 words in an hour on a tight turn around. Is memorising imaginative and evaluative responses more time consuming?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies :)
1.5k in 4 hrs is close to impossible

at this point ur much better off memorising plans

dannyo1

HSC
If you've spent a lot of time drafting this piece then you probably have already memorised more of it than you realise. My advice would be write out the plan - thesis, subtheses, quotes, technique, analysis and see how much of that you can comfortably recite. Chances are its a lot. Learning your piece verbatim is, in my opinion, a waste of time. If you know your points and your evidence you shoud be able to use your common sense and inherent vocabulary to synthesise a decent response. If you want to write an excellent response well, don't leave it to the last minute next time.

Edit: If you do want to memorise stuff, use this strat I did to memorise paragraphs of shit just before performing it:
1. read over the text, familiarise yourself w/ it.
2. write down the first letter of each word and any punctuation on a piece of paper. I.e. "I love Bored of Studies - a lot!" would become "I l B o S - a l!"
3. "read" the passage using the first letter of each word until you can comfortably do it repeatedly.
4. then come to the magical realisation that you can suddenly recite the passage off the top of your head.

This works best for quotes. I honestly don't think you'll have enough time to do the whole essay even with this super quick method.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)