How many hours do you have to put in a day to get the best mark in year 11 and 12? (2 Viewers)

TurkStyle

HSC
I dont know if im working at my desk enough. I study every day for 2.5 hours and increase at test times. this is homework and study included. Is it enough for year 11 or year 12?

Jess007

HSC
well my yr adviser says 4 hours a night of just study in normal school times.... around tests he said more then that anight

personally i do 2 every second day

yet again, my tests marks arent to great! but :)

it depends on how long u can concentrate for and how determined u are to go well in the HSC..for yr 11 i reckon thats enough, but as i said...4 hours a night ' supposedly' in hsc year

Foxodi

HSC
"How many hours do you have to put in a day to get the best mark in year 11 and 12?"

I'd say 12 hours a day, 9 for sleep, and 3 for breaks should get you the best possible mark ^^.

But seriously, 2.5hours is fine, just make sure your doing the best that you can in assessments (make note, yr 11 assessments mean jackcrap, wait for yr 12) and that you got enough time to finish summaries before exams.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
It depends on the individual, but I suggest that in Year 11 you do a minimum of 3 hours a weekday, and more on weekends or when you have exams. In Year 12, step it up to 4 hours a weekday and etc.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The more the better. I do about 2-4 a day, and I seem to get by. It just depends on how shit (or not) I'm feeling. :D

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
What I do is approximatly:

30-60 min Math + 30 min (Physics or Chemistry or Economics)
Whether I do Phys or Chem or Eco really depends on my mood or if I have a test for them comming up. English is very erratic for me, it goes up and down constantly. Somedays it's about 4hrs of english, and sometimes I can go for a few weeks without touching english.

I proberbly would do 1hr of physics revision if i had a test comming up, because my physics tests are really poorly written, so i end up wasting a lot of time counting squares on the graphs (which are very faint), or trying to understand something else thats poorly written or photocopied badly.

So far, my marks for those subjects have been around the top of my grade, so it would seem that unless you go to one of the top 10 schools, 1hr to 2hrs of study is enough for year 11, although i would proberbly do about 4hrs (2hrs Math, and 30 min each for Physics, Chemistry, Economics and English) for year 12.

TurkStyle

HSC
k thanks guys ill try step up my work to 3 hours a day and start getting down some summaries and points for upcoming tests.

bored of sc

HSC
it doesn't matter how hard you work - in any subject you can have a 'shocker' exam - its just the more preparation you put in - the better you should go in a test due to the practise makes perfect philosophy - there are obvious exceptions to this

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I have a habit of procrastinating so I might not study for nights then, on the night something is due, I stay up all night on an assignement.
Its exams now and cause I havent put in the effort I've been up till 3am on monday night, 4am on tuesday, crashed out at 11pm on wednesday and I'm planning another 2-3am tonight.

Its all about planning, dont turn out like me to say the least!

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Re: How many hours do you have to put in a day to get the best mark in year 11 and 12

TurkStyle said:
I dont know if im working at my desk enough. I study every day for 2.5 hours and increase at test times. this is homework and study included. Is it enough for year 11 or year 12?
It should be more than enough for year 11, so long as you use your time wisely.

HSC
Re: How many hours do you have to put in a day to get the best mark in year 11 and 12

Look, if you woiuld really like to go well you should be doing alot more hours a day then that. At the moment I do 10 hours a night homework, but as my level of study increases, so will the time i spend doing it. Sometimes during assessment periods i just stay up all night, go to bed at about 3 oclock and wake up at 4 and start studying again. it may seem like a little bit too much but it is neccessary, this is year 11 we are talking about
if you are only doing 2.5 hours you might aswell just not even be at school
hope this helps
xx

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
lol, if you need that many hours of studying just to come first in year 11, then you're at james ruse. I do on average 1hr of tuition work per night. I don't bother doing school work anymore. I just cram before tests usually.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

foram said:
I do on average 1hr of tuition work per night. I don't bother doing school work anymore. I just cram before tests usually.
Different techniques work for different people. I for one have a shithouse short term memory, so that doesn't work for me. :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I never saw myself being "naturally talented". I never was and never will be. However, I do beat countless so called "naturally talented" kids at my school as my marks at my school suggest.

I work hardest at my school even though I doubt that fact several times when I don't get the marks that I think that I deserve. However, I DO PUT at least 3 hours a day and up to 5 hours a day.

My hard work and consistency pays off in many of my subjects. I currently come:
  • first in Biology, SOR1, Maths Extension 1
  • second in Mathematics, Business Studies
  • third in Chemistry
Will not mention English since ranking is not released yet. If you put work into it you will definitely get the marks that you deserve (or that's the view that I hold).

Work as hard as you can and at the end, you will see how high you stand in comparison to other students who did not work as hard as you did.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
i WOULD be at the top of chemistry, but i forgot to put units after density. so i ended up with 17.5/18. I'm still upset about this :(. I don't think studying more would have made me remember to put units in though, but I've been meaning to cover the prelim course over the holiday :), it will make school more smooth, like in math, where I covered most of 2U and 3U math way ahead of school so math is like a nice dream. Chemistry is very easy, i just need to remember to put stuff like units in, or something. There were people who didn't even write any numbers for density who got full marks. They wrote "This must be very dense becuase of..." I'm so angry!! I put all the numbers in, and wrote the calculations very neatly, then i get 1.5/2 for that section cause i don't have units, even though the people who wrote some stupid sentence without units obviously, got full marks!! that section was marked with varying standards!! :angry:

I'll start to study more in the holidays, then I'm sure I can top every subject except for english. I estimate i can cover all of prelim phys and chem in 1 week of holidays, and all of prelim economics in 2 days of holidays if i study efficiently. Then all i'll have to do for the next 2 terms is get a head start on 4U math, and maybe some of the HSC topics for my other subjects.

OKAY! i'm getting motivated for studying, and i'll be just as smart as Iyounamu! :D

Also, i realised i walk past st pius x college every afternoon when i go home. I never knew there was a school called st pius even though i was like 10m from it. mega lol at myself.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Did you try reading the question (in Chemistry)? :p

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
OKAY! i'm getting motivated for studying, and i'll be just as smart as Iyounamu! :D

Also, i realised i walk past st pius x college every afternoon when i go home. I never knew there was a school called st pius even though i was like 10m from it. mega lol at myself.
Pretty sure you are smarter than me :D.

My school has really smart people in it while it has stacks of dumbasses. We produce about 4-6 people who get UAI over 99. Top UAI being like 99.9 or 99.95. I would like that UAI :D . I love my school and cannot be more proud.

HSC
Dont listen to foram is a complete fraud. He contradicts himself on numerous occassions. He once states that he does standard english and then his profile says that he does extension. He also states that he does japanese background speakers and then japanese beginners, these 2 courses cannot be done simultaneously
just ignore him

bored of sc

HSC
perfectstudent1 said:
Dont listen to foram is a complete fraud. He contradicts himself on numerous occassions. He once states that he does standard english and then his profile says that he does extension. He also states that he does japanese background speakers and then japanese beginners, these 2 courses cannot be done simultaneously
just ignore him
hey, foram is okay - don't diss him!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)