• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How many hours of co-corricular is everyone doing? (1 Viewer)

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Guaranteed scholarship framework - Gold duke of Ed and a 99.95 ATAR.

(Shows you're not a basement asian)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There are things other than Duke of Ed they like. They tend to be big on community and volunteer work ,sporting achievement, music/arts achievement and debate/public speaking achievements and that I hear. Though Duke of Ed is a good thing to have, as is a well rounded co curricular.

delian

HSC
N/A
I would still recommend continuing some extracurricular activities during Year 12 as they will do wonders for you when you're are looking for a job after graduate.
Yes, they help with interviews

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^My school offers a stack load, umm currently atm I'm on the Yr 12 charity committee and doing a host of stuff with that, selling Anzac tokens these holidays, helped at school events, work in the school canteen, help jnrs afterschool at the library. In the past I've done literacy tutoring, selling poppies, Giving Tree, sports coaching at disability school, performed at local retirement villages and at community events...there's just so many volunteering things to do.

choccie monster

HSC
Hang on to your exercise and co-curricular activities for as long as you can, IMHO.

The more you do, the busier you are. The busier you are, the more efficient you become - because you become a master of productive procrastination. It's a trend that continues well into university. The best-performing students I know work hard but maintain a life outside study. And those are the people that everyone wants on their scholarship scheme, who get through the interview selections, and who everyone wants to hire. Well-balanced people. Of course, that's no excuse to ignore the pile of textbooks you ought to get through - you still need to do well in your HSC.

Just remember to look after yourself, get enough sleep, and work regularly and efficiently at your study plan. Find the balance that works for you.

p.s. re: What to do: if you're doing (1) well academically, (2) sport/outdoors, (3) music/cultural, (4) charity/fundraising and (5) student-representative/community stuff, this will hold you in pretty good stead for most applications.

Last edited:

deswa1

HSC
I run a few times a week, play school sport, do debating, SRC (though that's in school I guess) and some other random stuff...

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
although im in prelims, im in: oaktree (ending poverty), zonta (women's rights), the school year book type committee (writing articles etc), amnesty club (another club haha) and the school choir.

would these be good enough for co curriculars, or should i be doing more?

i exercise but dont play specific sports.. and i dont do d of e

Sendoh08

HSC
Well i got reps bball, school bball, then there's prefect duties and school sports manager/captain duties.
~sigh~ I lose my Saturdays cos i need to make sure all sport games are on/off as schedule.

I lose maybe 3hours minimum per day...

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
although im in prelims, im in: oaktree (ending poverty), zonta (women's rights), the school year book type committee (writing articles etc), amnesty club (another club haha) and the school choir.

would these be good enough for co curriculars, or should i be doing more?

i exercise but dont play specific sports.. and i dont do d of e
Seems like a good bunch. Suggests that you have picked up leadership, organisation and communication skills.

If possible, have a go at being a school captain or prefect.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Ealdon, well if you're an arts person I'm sure there's a co curricular for that you would like :) You could maybe volunteer at the art gallery, or enter a local art show or something :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)