how many of you need tutor for bio? (1 Viewer)

moniyoo

HSC
hi all,,,
after my halfyearly exam i relised how bad i am with Biology.
Though everyone says it's easy,,, i found it hard
but i afraid to ask my parent to have tutor for this subjects since i already have 3 for other subjects...

so just wondering
how many of you have tutor for bio and do you think i should get a tutor ?
or if not how should i study for this??

madharris

HSC
N/A
If you're really struggling then u might want to think about a tutor, but maybe you just need to study a bit more since it's mainly a remembering subject

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're really struggling then u might want to think about a tutor, but maybe you just need to study a bit more since it's mainly a remembering subject
^ this. also, looking at a range of different sources helps because sometimes your textbook doesn't cover everything or isnt brilliant at explaining a concept. also see if you can get extra help from your teacher.

Enzym3

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
As a tutor I'd recommend first Identifying what your problems areas (e.g. remembering the content for maintaining a balance, doing pedigrees and punnet squares for blueprint of life, or understanding the concepts in a way that allows you to answer the questions). Once you are sure of the stuff you can't do take it to your teacher and see if they can help you, if they can great, if not go find someone like me with a list of problems that you couldn't solve by working through with your teacher.

Many tutors will be happy to take you on for a couple of session now to get you back up to a level where you are confident and then a couple more near the HSC. I'd particularly look for a tutor with University teaching experience because to be honest once you've taught second or third year bio at uni you should be substantially change a students understanding of the subject in a couple of hours. A lot of those types of tutors are happier with a couple of sessions and then a gap then a couple more as they don't have a lot of time to take on highschool students.

I don't actually do this kind of teaching at the moment but people with my skillset aren't that hard to find and book in for a couple of lessons IF you're teacher can't bring you back up to a level where you are confident and enjoying the subject fast enough AND you're willing to take the time to make a list of all the points you don't understand

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'd particularly look for a tutor with University teaching experience because to be honest once you've taught second or third year bio at uni you should be substantially change a students understanding of the subject in a couple of hours. A lot of those types of tutors are happier with a couple of sessions and then a gap then a couple more as they don't have a lot of time to take on highschool students.
I'm afraid I disagree.

1. University Biology is very different from HSC Biology.

2. Most are usually very expensive (I know somebody whose parents paid $120 per hour for a Uni lecturer... for their HSC)

3. A senior HSC marker would be more preferable over a University lecturer because as well as knowing how the marking processes work in the HSC, they also can give you little tips to differentiate you from the rest of the HSC cohort, having marked hundreds of papers beforehand and knowing what separates a low band 6 from a high band 6.

4. A lot of Highschool students and their parents want regular tuition lessons, not just a few hours here or there.

5. The students are there to learn stuff to get their Band 6, get into Medicine/Law/Engineering or w/e every single kid wants to do nowadays, then not look back at it. They are not there to learn anything extra that is only taught in University because it would most likely be rejected/disregarded by HSC markers anyway for being irrelevant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)