how many past papers (1 Viewer)

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
eh, i don't think of it like that.

for maths i do topic by topic, depending on the topics i am doing currently or for the forthcoming exam.. same with eco

but even so, i say do enough to consolidate your knowledge.. otherwise maybe 4 or 5

bouncing

HSC
LOL what.. as many as you can :p provided you know all your theory (and know it CORRECTLY) since you dont want to be doing past papers and answering everything wrong

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
as many as you can. for maths, many of the top students do over 50!!!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah I heard the top guy at Sydney Boys who came 3rd in 3 Unit only did like 1 or 2 before the exams.
Not sure who you're referring to, since I don't think anyone came 3rd in 3U Maths. There were like 4 of us who were equally tied in 2nd place.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
I have seen people on here that say they do 40+ papers for each subject.

bouncing

HSC
i dont think there is a "set" amount of past papers one should do for the HSC. obviously doing the more will get you better acquainted - and for those kind of essay-ey subjects like legal studies you really can't do much except prepare generics.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Oh yeah, my bad. 3-4 papers sounds about right for Yimmers. :)

Just outta curiosity - how do you know that Dragonmaster? :p
He put his e-mail in one of his threads. I was talking to him once about how to study for maths without burning out then he was like he only went like 1 hour a day for maths (maybe less) and he only did like ~3 past papers. Said he never burnt out and I was like this guy's a freak.

It's ironic that the guy who came 1st in NSW in 3 Unit did ~100 past papers lol.

MetroMattums

HSC
You don't need to do past papers for maths as long as you understand everything..

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You don't need to do past papers for maths as long as you understand everything..
From one extreme, to another. This is not true. It's one thing to understand the theory, it's another thing to -apply- it to questions.

Kralex

HSC
as many as you can. for maths, many of the top students do over 50!!!
Doing more than available test papers is kind of pointless isn't it? You'd be repeating the same questions over and over.

At most I'd do each available past paper 3 times each.

Irrelevance

HSC
That's my strategy with 2U maths.

I never do Q1-5 and start with 6+

I usually time myself with 2 hours.

jassono

HSC
I can only answer for the subjects i did
The coaching place I went to got the theory out of the way first, then had an epic program of past papers, trial papers from the better schools
Like you understood it, and did as many questions as you could on that topic till you could answer the next year's questions without any problems
Past papers were really good at finding little bits of a topic I couldnt answer
There are only so many bits [I cant think of a better word] in any topic you could be faced with

English lol you dont need past papers for that
ECON id say a few just to get around the various facets of each topic
modern history hmm a few to pick out the general trend of questions they use over and over e.g. the question on russia always had one on lenin, and always one on stalin

..I think :p

h3ll h0und

HSC
i'd jsut skip all the first easy questions and start at the middle/end where the questions get tough.
imo u should finish all of it...if u skip the easier questions ur more susceptible to silly mistakes in the actual exam (talking from personal experience for 4u).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)