How much do assessment tasks contribute to your final HSC mark (1 Viewer)

Cheezy-G

I was just wondering if assesment tasks worth 10% or 15% will really affect your HSC marks in the fianl exam. Do they count for your UAI. If you a screwed up an assessment task will it really screw up your final marks.?

wanton-wonton

HSC
Gaya3 said:
I was just wondering if assesment tasks worth 10% or 15% will really affect your HSC marks in the fianl exam. Do they count for your UAI. If you a screwed up an assessment task will it really screw up your final marks.?
Stupidest question ever.

Yes, it will affect your UAI.

FinalFantasy

HSC
Gaya3 said:
even if u "screw" all assessments and get 10% average at the end, if ur rank 1 or have a good rank and u do good in da real thing.. den it doesn't matter

tennille

HSC
Gaya3 said:
It will, but not dramatically. If it's worth 10-15% of your assessment mark, then it's only worth about 5-7.5% of your overall HSC mark.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
If you don't realise that your assessments however little they are count to ur HSC in some way by now, you deserve to fail the HSC.

Mandy101

HSC
^Technically if you were in a good school and were averaging 70% on some really hard tests but were ranked first... and then you kicked ass in the HSC because it was a lot easier than what you were doing at school, your marks really don't count - you'll get allocated the appropriate HSC mark pertaining to your ranking.

tennille

HSC
That's true, but that's not to say that you can go crap in school and ace the HSC exams. And what you're saying mainly applies to selective schools, not necessarily public schools.

I don't think anyone really has a complete knowledge of how the whole system works, anyway.

FinalFantasy

HSC
anti-mathmite said:
I refuse to believe this, (and I have heard it from other sources, so I’m not attacking anyone) but are you trying to tell me that, at a *smart* school, where the lowest mark is 80% (hence the person comes last in rank), that-that person will do worse than someone who goes to a *dumb* school where the highest was 60% and comes first in rank?
thats y there is a final HSC exam where everyone does the same thing, and the marks get fixed up accordingly...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Thats why marks are moderated.

Pace_T

HSC
Sweets said:
If you don't realise that your assessments however little they are count to ur HSC in some way by now, you deserve to fail the HSC.

Aww don't be so harsh. You gotta learn somehow, right? :p

School assessments matter in that they define your rank. That is, they determine the other 50% of your final mark. That's where the notion came from (that school assessment marks count towards 50% of your final mark)

Pace_T

HSC
anti-mathmite said:
is Rank determined on assesment mark, or all marks combined? :confused:
Your school assessment mark determines your rank within your school. Let's say you rank 3rd in English. As your school assessment 50% contribution, you will recieve the 3rd highest HSC mark from your school for English. That is to say, the 50% never really comes from the scores for the school assessments. This 50% still comes from the HSC exam. Note that if you came 3rd in the HSC exam, and you placed 3rd in your school assessment mark, you will receive 100% of your final mark from that HSC score.
So technically, you can score 30% in your school assessments, but as long as you come first, you can discard that score and expect the school's 50% contribution to come from the score of 1st place in the HSC exam.

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
since this confuses me, my theory is... who cares.. just do your best

Pace_T

HSC
anti-mathmite said:
Sorry, i have thought about this, and this is bullcrap. Either you're misinformed, or your trying to mislead someone.
It would be nice if it were like this, but just think about it.. It's not viable.
Just because you think it's not logical doesn't mean it's not true.
IMO I think it's ideal. Not every school's school assessments are the same difficulty as each others, but the individual's rank is still valid. So that's why they use the rank, because it's still a good indication of how a student performs. Whereas the school mark isn't good to base a student's score on since they might have really difficult school assessments as opposed to those who have relatively easy assessments.
Lately I've read a few posts about how school assessment marks matter but no one can still give a straight answer. The point of this post to emphasise how logical it is, which I think is the part you are missing..

I don't know about you, but it sounds like you're in denial. Maybe you are ranking quite badly in a subject?

Oh and why would I want to misinform someone? It seems to me that you're putting your 'thoughts' over the understandings of others. I think you need to read up on some facts before you do that.

tennille

HSC
Enough on the whole "how the HSC system works" stuff.

BTW, Pace_T, do you have any evidence to back up your earlier statement on how your HSC marks are calculated (that is not mentioned here on Bored of Studies)? If so, please post it up. :)

50% of your final HSC mark comes from your school assessments, while the other 50% is from your HSC exams. You cannot tell me that if you do terribly all year in year 12 but do excellent in the HSC exams (where you also came first), your assessment mark comes from you HSC exam, thus leading to a higher result...I don't think so.

Pace_T

HSC
Tennille said:
Enough on the whole "how the HSC system works" stuff.

BTW, Pace_T, do you have any evidence to back up your earlier statement on how your HSC marks are calculated (that is not mentioned here on Bored of Studies)? If so, please post it up. :)
Nope. Only from here. Many reputable people have told me this (IIRC, A_I and Lazarus' posts, but I'm not too sure if it was from either of this people, it was a while ago.)

Also, looking at acmilan's raw marks in the raw marks thread, my (and others') theory is seems correct.
Over the time I've been on these boards, I've read only one thing about school assessment marks contributing to the final mark. That is the difference in the marks (in school asessments) contributes to the final HSC mark. So technically the score does count. But that brings me back to my theory - a higher gap between you and 2nd place (if you're first) only ensures that you're first place, and garuanteed 50% of the final mark comes from first's mark in the final HSC exam.

Tennille said:
50% of your final HSC mark comes from your school assessments, while the other 50% is from your HSC exams. You cannot tell me that if you do terribly all year in year 12 but do excellent in the HSC exams (where you also came first), your assessment mark comes from you HSC exam, thus leading to a higher result...I don't think so.
I think so.
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=55648
Look at acmilan's marks.
Half of his final marks are composed of 100% from his HSC marks. That is to say, he came first in around half of his subjects. (I think..)

To acmilan: if I misinterpreted any of your information, sorry!! I just tried to follow off that table in your thread.

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
This thread should be deleted... of course your assessments count, now go study for the next one!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)