How much do you study per day? (1 Viewer)

muramasa

HSC
On average, how much do you study per day? e.g. how many hours?
For me, it varies but usually around 3. Is that enough?

Randox

HSC
N/A
3 is enough if you use the time well. It's obviously not enough for 99 atar. It depends on what you mean by enough

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering how good is 7? I dont do this.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering how good is 7? I dont do this.
You will probably have heard this countless times if you haven't already, and that is, it is the quality of your study time that determines your academic results much more than the quantity of your study time, you should give us a brief overview of what you intend to complete within those 7 hours of studying to allow us to make a better suggestion on whether you are doing an adequate amount of work to achieve your ATAR goal.

pHyRe

HSC
The amount you need to study is inversely proportional to your intelligence and proportional to your ATAR goal/cut off.

i.e. it's different for everyone.

maybe i could study 1 hr a day and get 99, and someone else might study 5 hours and get 80.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
On average, how much do you study per day? e.g. how many hours?
For me, it varies but usually around 3. Is that enough?
It depends how many hours you need. On school nights I can get 4-6 hours done (includes homework, occasional social media checks), depending on how many free periods or how I feel. Weekends are often a lot more. But if I go out, I usually only do 3-4 hours. There's no "right" amount. Again, it depends on how many you need and what you classify as "study".

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
The amount you need to study is inversely proportional to your intelligence and proportional to your ATAR goal/cut off.

i.e. it's different for everyone.

maybe i could study 1 hr a day and get 99, and someone else might study 5 hours and get 80.
I don't think it could be that smooth sailing haha

Natural aptitude and intelligence is one thing, but honestly, you can be very smart and not do well in the HSC. The HSC isn't a straightforward intelligence test. There's a huge variety of factors and stuff involved. Hard work and consistency is a much more likely factor contributing ATAR success. I know very smart people who worked extremely hard to get 99+.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Tbh I think if you are doing more than 3-4 hours of work after school, then you are working inefficiently.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
It depends how many hours you need. On school nights I can get 4-6 hours done (includes homework, occasional social media checks), depending on how many free periods or how I feel. Weekends are often a lot more. But if I go out, I usually only do 3-4 hours. There's no "right" amount. Again, it depends on how many you need and what you classify as "study".
Don't do easy homework if you already can do it. I think 4 is a bit much.

pHyRe

HSC
I don't think it could be that smooth sailing haha

Natural aptitude and intelligence is one thing, but honestly, you can be very smart and not do well in the HSC. The HSC isn't a straightforward intelligence test. There's a huge variety of factors and stuff involved. Hard work and consistency is a much more likely factor contributing ATAR success. I know very smart people who worked extremely hard to get 99+.
there are many people who finish much of the course before the year even begins. i reckon they could do 1 hour a day (of concentrated study) and get 99. the kids who would probably get 99.95 or close to it if they gave it their all.

for example a friend of mine who finished the 4unit course in around year 10. state ranked it in the end

asdfghjklmz

HSC
0 tbh...
Idk I don't really study
For maths, once I finish a topic I'll do the same topic again but from 2 different textbooks. I do a few questions a day, depends on my mood
Chemistry, I just answer the syllabus dot points and once I've completed all I'll try to memorise it and then do questions on that topic
Ceebs studying everyday, don't overdo things
Or maybe I'm just a lazy bitch haha

J280

HSC
I do at least 2 hours (mostly maths) but i try to limit myself to 3 hours/day. I think that you should try different learning strategies if you find that you are studying inefficiently e.g. making your notes in a different way, trying past papers. You should find what works for you, and not look at how much other people are doing.

britaker

HSC
I personally do not study more than 2-3 hours a day, 4 or 5 on weekends at most. I usually keep myself to around that or slightly under depending on when my assessments are, or if I'm a little behind with the MX1, etc. Honestly I don't see why you'd study much more than that given it's just, y'know, the HSC.
Then again the subjects you undertake, your aptitude for them, etc. etc. all play a part too. I hardly study for English at all given I'm quite good at it, though I study about 100x more for Extension maths and am lucky to scrape an 80%.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
All the time except for when I'm eating, sleeping, texting, out or having a break in between hours. I still don't get everything done :(

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I tended to average anywhere between 2-4 hrs depending on the workload. It came to a stage where i stopped doing useless hw (e.g business studies textbook questions) and did hsc past papers instead. Obviously exam periods are different, during these i'd do 4-6 hrs.

My recommendation is not to count the amount of hours you're doing because this would put you in the mindset that that studying x amount will = x atar, this isn't the case. Keep regularly up to date with your notes along with completing past papers and you'll be ok, stop whenever you feel is adequate for that day.

Kymren

HSC
I do 3-4 hours on a week day and about 5-6 on one day on the weekend.
If you can try and spread your study out. e.g. do 2 hours and have an 1/2-1 hour break.
Also make sure you get plenty of sleep. countless studies have shown that YOU NEED YOUR SLEEP.

Magical Kebab

HSC
as many have said above and as u have probably heard, set goals and achieve them. set goals u can actually reach, it might take u 2 hrs, or even 4, but make sure u know what u want to do and get that done.
as carrot has said, anymore then 3-4 means somethings wrong... deswa1 studied around 3 hrs a day and got 99.95, but knowing how he approached his subjects, he studied very efficiently. Very generally, around 3-4 hrs a night of efficient studying should get u the atar u need (by efficient i mean after u finish a study session, ur confidence for a topic/subject improves a lot, and believe me u can tell when this happens). weekends take a day off, and do a bit more the other day. exams do a lot more, holidays space out ur goals but be consistent.
again, keep a balance, but know when to get down and work.. good luck and hope that helped.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on the day, the day before an assessment usually 2 hours spent revising that subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)