How much sleep do we need? (1 Viewer)

eldore44

Facebook is better.
HSC
Woo a topic about sleep, my expertise :D
The body sleeps in 90 minute cycles, with the last 30 minutes being the most effecient and restorative. The first 30 minutes are the next most effecient (so if you're randomly tired at the library, take a 20-30 minute nap!). The 30 minutes in between is 'deep' sleep and can actually 'cause you to be more tired than you originally were if you wake up during this period.
It's best to wake up near the end of the last 30 minutes or 5 minutes after the last 30 minutes (which is a middle-stage, where you're not actually 'sleeping' but your body is just switched off, 'cause sleeping is when your body is restoring itself), as it allows you to make maximum use of your sleep.
tl;dr Don't wake up in the 30 minutes in between of a sleep cycle, sleep in 90 minute multiples (1.5 hours, 3 hours, 4.5 hours, 6 hours etc.) and a quick 20-30 minute nap is more effective than a 30-60 minute nap!
only almost completely wrong.
the body sleeps in 90 minutes, but it is the last 30 minutes of this cycle that is the beneficial sleep.
you can train your body to immediately enter the beneficial phase of sleep, but that's quite the bit of effort and only worth it if you keep with a polyphase sleep cycle.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
only almost completely wrong.
the body sleeps in 90 minutes, but it is the last 30 minutes of this cycle that is the beneficial sleep.
you can train your body to immediately enter the beneficial phase of sleep, but that's quite the bit of effort and only worth it if you keep with a polyphase sleep cycle.

er... comparison:

youngminii: The body sleeps in 90 minute cycles, with the last 30 minutes being the most effecient and restorative

you: the body sleeps in 90 minutes, but it is the last 30 minutes of this cycle that is the beneficial sleep.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Ideally, I would love to get 9-10 hours of good quality sleep every night, like when I was in primary school (oh, I miss those days...), but realistically I probably get about 7-8 hours... but only if I fall asleep right away. I hate it when I go to bed at a perfectly normal time, but then it takes ages to fall asleep... WASTE OF VALUBLE SLEEPING TIME ARGGGHHH!!! :D

I suppose you could try reducing your sleeping time, and make up for lack of sleep with lots of coffee/apples for the caffeine to stay awake for school? hehe!
it should take 5-15 minutes to fall asleep.

anything less means you're sleep deprived & i suppose anything more means you need to be more active during the day.

Johanist

HSC
i sleep like at 11:30-1 and wake up at 6:40 and at like 4am during friday and saturday then 1 again on sunday.. im pretty sluggish in the morning but other then that i think dont it has affected me that much but i heard it depends on the persons sleep cycle and that you'll feel refreshed if you wake up just b4 you enter the deep sleep stage which is for most people 6-8 hours. As long as you dont feel like you cant walk properly im pretty sure you had enough sleep

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)