How Much Study in the Holidays? (1 Viewer)

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
can u not lol
It's true tho

yeah, i don't get it

if you're studying for that amount of hours, then you're not efficient imo
I'm one of those people who don't have any problems with procrastinating

I have deactivated facebook, and other social netwroking platforms

I haven't played xbox in ages

I never check my phone because it's usually under a huge pile of papers - No one really organises outings these days anyway

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
yeah, i don't get it

if you're studying for that amount of hours, then you're not efficient imo
Weekends: ~ 10 + Hours

Weekdays: ~ >12 Hours
I think he means that's the total amount of hours he studies, I'm sure he can't study 12 hours after school right? (unless if he's including school hours with study hours at home)

teridax

HSC
N/A
I'm one of those people who don't have any problems with procrastinating

I have deactivated facebook, and other social netwroking platforms

I haven't played xbox in ages

I never check my phone because it's usually under a huge pile of papers - No one really organises outings these days anyway
That's really extreme bro...

If you really had no problems with procrastination, you wouldn't have simply just disregarded those things - lots of people still go on fb and play xbox and do fine. So going by that logic, it's likely that you'll burn out; I highly disagree with anyone who thinks that 12+ hours of study is manageable - consider the law of diminishing returns if you will.

If you insist on pursuing that routine for the holidays as prep for trials, then cool I respect that. But if it was me, I personally wouldn't do it.

Life in year 12 isn't about making big sacrifices just purely for the HSC mate, you still have opportunities to enjoy yourself.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
That's really extreme bro...

If you really had no problems with procrastination, you wouldn't have simply just disregarded those things - lots of people still go on fb and play xbox and do fine. So going by that logic, it's likely that you'll burn out; I highly disagree with anyone who thinks that 12+ hours of study is manageable - consider the law of diminishing returns if you will.

If you insist on pursuing that routine for the holidays as prep for trials, then cool I respect that. But if it was me, I personally wouldn't do it.

Life in year 12 isn't about making big sacrifices just purely for the HSC mate, you still have opportunities to enjoy yourself.
Kind of true, but it's better to work as hard as you can and sacrifice things now than to regret it after the HSC.

Flop21

HSC
Also the fact that I have shit teachers for every subject and only go to tutoring for maths means that I have to spend more time self-teaching when it comes to tackling exam questions understanding concepts, etc.

Furthermore, people are taking up those fancy programs like HSC in the Holidays and tsfx and the only way to compete is to push myself over the next couple of weeks

EDIT: Forgot to add that I'm naturally untalented and stupid
So what are you actually doing in your study time?

Is it just full on sitting there and doing past paper after past paper??

Because I'm currently writing up some flash cards for all my subjects and wondering if I'm wasting my time and falling behind everyone.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Because I'm currently writing up some flash cards for all my subjects and wondering if I'm wasting my time and falling behind everyone.
I honestly wouldn't use flash cards. What I do is that I print out some HSC questions that relate to a dot point I'm having trouble with, I'd answer it and stick beside the dot point, I find it easier to understand the work and it gives me an idea of what the HSC might ask.

HSC
Yeah but how do you memorise your notes? The flash cards are for rote learning. I would of thought it would be more effective and faster to memorise them.

Then I was planning on doing past papers - which would give you an idea of what the HSC might ask.
yep helps with memory, especially if you're a visual learner

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Yeah but how do you memorise your notes? The flash cards are for rote learning. I would of thought it would be more effective and faster to memorise them.

Then I was planning on doing past papers - which would give you an idea of what the HSC might ask.
Do you highlight your notes? You can also use different colours for more important sentences. For my memorising subjects I don't use anything to help me other than highlighting important bits, no offense but flash cards are kind of a waste of time.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

But like I said, print out some HSC questions and stick them next to the dot points you're having trouble with, it helps me so maybe that'll help you.

tonysoprano

HSC

Your flashcard dilemma is me exactly. Not sure if I should be making flashcards or just memorising my notes. The struggle is real.

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
Your flashcard dilemma is me exactly. Not sure if I should be making flashcards or just memorising my notes. The struggle is real.
I know you write things in the HSC and writing things out physically and all that whatnot, but i use a phone app to write my notes. Its called quizlet and its quite good. it allows you to write in your definitions and things, and theres multiple ways to learn with it (definition first, text first, mix and match) etc, you can have multiple sets for different topics, and it also has a feature where it reads out your word (in different languages too!). Im sure there are hundreds of other flashcard apps, you just gotta find the one right for you.
I find this good because it literally takes NO SPACE. A whole bunch of flashcards for different subjects take alot of space - dependig on your hadnwriting and size of card, and the number of subjects. Also if you lose a card, or drop them and they go everywhere, AHH the hustle!!!
With a phone, they're all nice and easy to use also easy to pop out on a bus or train without having the awful chance of dropping them everywhere.

tl;dr - use a phone app for flashcards is my suggestion

ahh reading this thread is making me a bit sad and not excited for next year ;_; is it possible to have fun in year 12???

and good luck to all of you for your exams!!!! :)

HSC
I know you write things in the HSC and writing things out physically and all that whatnot, but i use a phone app to write my notes. Its called quizlet and its quite good. it allows you to write in your definitions and things, and theres multiple ways to learn with it (definition first, text first, mix and match) etc, you can have multiple sets for different topics, and it also has a feature where it reads out your word (in different languages too!). Im sure there are hundreds of other flashcard apps, you just gotta find the one right for you.
I find this good because it literally takes NO SPACE. A whole bunch of flashcards for different subjects take alot of space - dependig on your hadnwriting and size of card, and the number of subjects. Also if you lose a card, or drop them and they go everywhere, AHH the hustle!!!
With a phone, they're all nice and easy to use also easy to pop out on a bus or train without having the awful chance of dropping them everywhere.

tl;dr - use a phone app for flashcards is my suggestion

ahh reading this thread is making me a bit sad and not excited for next year ;_; is it possible to have fun in year 12???

and good luck to all of you for your exams!!!! :)
similar to you but i have an images folder on my devices to quiz myself. I never use it when I'm out though since i'm preoccupied
dw, there's a lot of time for you. Yr12 can be fun but leading up to trials and near hsc exams, we don't think about that for sometime

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

I'm going to spend some time on notes then I'll move onto revising them and doing past papers

I'll try to do 2 trial papers every day for both 2 u and 3 u maths, and will spend the rest of the time on english, making notes/revising for other subjects, etc.

Flop21

HSC
Do you highlight your notes? You can also use different colours for more important sentences. For my memorising subjects I don't use anything to help me other than highlighting important bits, no offense but flash cards are kind of a waste of time.
I thought that until I learned they are proven to be the most effective way of studying. Wait let me correct that, the test and re-testing method. Which obviously flash cards are an easy way to practice that.

But yeah, everyone's different in their way of memorising things.

I'm also lazy and I think flashcards will be easier to test myself with instead of trying to test myself with a sheet of paper with notes.

I also don't think they're a waste of time since as I'm typing them I'm starting the memorisation process. Already now I can easily recall an answer to every syllabus dot point for the 1st topic of bio (did 1st topic today). But that's short-term memory. Gotta get it in the long-term memory.

Occupied

HSC
N/A
I thought that until I learned they are proven to be the most effective way of studying. Wait let me correct that, the test and re-testing method. Which obviously flash cards are an easy way to practice that.

But yeah, everyone's different in their way of memorising things.

I'm also lazy and I think flashcards will be easier to test myself with instead of trying to test myself with a sheet of paper with notes.

I also don't think they're a waste of time since as I'm typing them I'm starting the memorisation process. Already now I can easily recall an answer to every syllabus dot point for the 1st topic of bio (did 1st topic today). But that's short-term memory. Gotta get it in the long-term memory.
beat me to it lol flashcards are good for visual learners - its a pain making them but ur learning while making them, so....
tho mayb if ur prone to losing ur stuff, flashcards might not be that good for u since u'll need to kee making them

Flop21

HSC
beat me to it lol flashcards are good for visual learners - its a pain making them but ur learning while making them, so....
tho mayb if ur prone to losing ur stuff, flashcards might not be that good for u since u'll need to kee making them
There's no way I'm physically writing anything haha. Like notes, they don't need to be written with a pen.

tonysoprano

HSC
Okay, so in short, how much hours is everyone aiming to do each day this holidays? I'm going for 9, but this seems near impossible.

HSC
Okay, so in short, how much hours is everyone aiming to do each day this holidays? I'm going for 9, but this seems near impossible.
You shouldn't be aiming for how many hours you should be studying each day... It all comes down to how much effort you've put in throughout the year. As everyone says, CONSISTENCY IS KEY.

Rather than saying "I'm going to study 10 hours today" and procrastinating most of the time you should prioritise your work and subjects which need great attention. You should be aiming to complete trial papers OR essays OR whatever, not "Im gonna study for 9 hours" and get jack shit done.

harrypotterfan

HSC
aw, you do almost all the same subject as me except I had physics instead of bio! A rough guideline for prep that would be beneficial before trials during these holidays (this was my personal PLAN, I don't think I actually adhered to it 100%, only did about 80% of it tbh. but your goals and needs and methods of study will be different, so customise it based on that)

Eng Adv: one essay every day, alternate modules i.e. Monday- Mod A, Tuesday- Mod B, Wed- Mod C, Thurs- Belonging (discovery for you) essay, Friday- AOS creative, Saturday- practice Section 1 AOS. After writing each essay in 40 minute blocks, consider what could have been incorporated instead, what worked well, what didn't etc. Go back to quotes and memorise relevant analysis which would have been useful. Sunday is rest day/day to revise quotes+ techniques

Chem: memorise (again, hopefully) Production of Materials + The Acidic Environment thoroughly, and complete past hsc papers and trial papers. Know how to do calculations and look at marking guidelines. My school did our elective before Chemical Monitoring and Management and I was behind on notes for that so I made those + memorised them + did past papers for that too as trials prep

Maths: papers time-- days of textbook are gone (except for recent topics I guess). Sticking to own school trials + harder school trials + HSC questions mainly (I left CSSA papers for hsc personally). Did a lot of questions indivdiually as opposed to sitting through a full 3 hr exam (I think I only practiced one full 3 hour exam but that's something which you can probably benefit more from). Any commonly made errors should be consolidated with textbook e.g. Fitzpatrick or Cambridge

3u Maths: same as 2u, but it helped to go topic by topic. And revision of prelim too!

PD/H/PE: make notes. memorise syllabus. do practice questions. prepare to bullshit like a boss (legit a life skill)

Good luck :)

p.s. measure the amount of study you do by the tasks you complete, not the hours you put into completing the tasks.

HSC
I have not read any posts here yet but for those who are unsure about the extent of studying during holidays:

Do what you believe is necessary. Some days you may want to do 10+ past exam papers; some days you may want to do 1 hour of study.

It's kind of like going to the gym: you will generally know if you've put in your maximum effort. Likewise, you will generally know if you've put in your maximum effort into your studies, even before the results arise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)