• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How similar is the film "Frankenstein" to the book by Mary Shelley (1 Viewer)

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Please answer this question honestly, its very important for me:

I was just wondering how similar the movie "Frankenstein" is to the book...

- The movie I am talking about is Mary Shelley's version of Frankenstein starring Kenneth Branagh, and details are here: Frankenstein (1994)

- The book I have been given to read is also Mary Shelley's Frankenstein... but certain books and movies have huge differences between them...

So i'm trying to take the easy way out and watch the movie instead of reading the book (lol)... its a 288 page book and its not exactly what I want to read throughout my holidays when i could be working on study notes

I was basically wondering if the two versions are similar enough to have an excellent understanding of the novel. If I was to watch the movie... would there be problems when i actually have to write essays which include the novel?

I have no problem looking up themes, techniques in the book etc. But to have a good undestanding of the novel and exactly what happens in it could I get away with just watching the movie as an alternative to reading it???

Thanks in advance for your help xD

lizajane91

HSC
Like really different or what? Is it really worth taking the time to read the whole 288 page book?
I havent seen the entire movie but from what i've seen there is quite a few plot differences..it really is worth it and important to read the novel! If you want to watch the film then go ahead but you WILL NOT have a full understanding of the literary/structural techniques that is needed for an advanced level essay. Take my advice and read it.. Just read it at night before you go to bed if you are worried about wasting valuable "note making time".

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You must read the novel. Must. There are a whole lot of differences between the book and novel. For instance, in the novel, Frankenstein is the scientist, and the monster is the creature/monster, whatever. However in the film, Frankenstein is the monster. So if you're saying, Frankenstein killed such and such by viciously swiping at yada yada yada, you're going to fail pretty badly when the teacher realises you haven't even read the damn book.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
YES! Read it. I did this for everything in year 11, and subsequently failed, so I suggest you read it if you don't want to fail.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You must read the novel. Must. There are a whole lot of differences between the book and novel. For instance, in the novel, Frankenstein is the scientist, and the monster is the creature/monster, whatever. However in the film, Frankenstein is the monster. So if you're saying, Frankenstein killed such and such by viciously swiping at yada yada yada, you're going to fail pretty badly when the teacher realises you haven't even read the damn book.
I should watch/read them then... although I'm not interested in either as an AOS text, they sound kinda interesting to read/watch,

5233andy

HSC
If you're simply going to watch the moving picture version of the novel, don't expect much, when it comes to your results.

There are no substitutes for your prescribed texts.

Oobadoo

HSC
I should watch/read them then... although I'm not interested in either as an AOS text, they sound kinda interesting to read/watch,
The book is at least. (I know it's nerdy but I don't care :p) I've read it twice and it can be really interesting. I don't know if this is what you go into in EX1 (as I haven't started it yet), but it raises interesting concepts on belonging and existance, as well as morality and responsibility, ie, the creator and the created, mother and child, the domination of each over the other, blah blah blah. At least thats what I think. :D

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
if youre even considering taking that route, its probably too late, youre going to fail anyway.

i at least tried to read most of my texts.

Midnaito

HSC
Hi, I take Extension English and we had to read the book last year for Gothic Horror. Let me tell you the book can be kind of dry and a bit wordy, but not too hard to understand if your taking a course that makes you read it. That being said actually reading the book is something that you absolutely NEED to do to gain any real understanding of the text and the characters emotions. The film is just way too different to help you at all, trust me our teacher made us watch it so we would understand why we couldn't just cheat and watch movies when we were told to read the books.

Also while it may have a lot of pages if you sit down and just read without distraction you can probably get through the book in three to four hours. But seriously like others have said if you don't read it you will FAIL the course.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I ended up reading the book and then sparknotes. Everything I read and remembered from the book was pretty much written in sparknotes in front of me... and i could've saved hours of torture reading that stupid book by just reading through and memorizing all the sparknotes... and then actually reading and focusing on more important things such as:

- Context
- Themes
etc.

What a waste of time! >:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)