How strict are UAI cutoffs? (1 Viewer)

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Pretty much the title really.

For example lets say BEc @ UNSW is 91.20. I get 87+4 bonus points which puts me at 91.00, does that mean i won't get accepted into the course for being 0.2 below the cutoff?
I asked this question during the UNSW open day UAC talk thingo and she said that if you make the cutoff using bonus points you should get the place but that if you miss out then too bad because the UAI cutoffs are absolute. Anyone want to elaborate?

i've heard stories of people getting into subjects 2-3 points below their cutoff but i'm assuming the majority of these are urban rumours.

Last edited:

undalay

HSC
cut offs are not rigid.
Anyway, it fluctuates every year.

ediT: furthermoree the abolishment of DFEE suggests a drop in cutoffs.?? possibly

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
SMH recently reported how university "artificially inflates" their UAI cut-offs to make their university seemingly more "prestigious".

Maybe the media are just playing things up, maybe not.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
chewy123 said:
SMH recently reported how university "artificially inflates" their UAI cut-offs to make their university seemingly more "prestigious".

Maybe the media are just playing things up, maybe not.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=182098

yeah i've read that thread too. I thought that's why UNSW introduced HSC plus etc. What put me off was that the lady at the talk was pretty sure when she answered my question. She smiled and said "yep, they are absolute". perhaps lying to protect prestige? for some reason i doubt it =/ .

undalay said:
ediT: furthermoree the abolishment of DFEE suggests a drop in cutoffs.?? possibly
yeah, hope this drops cutoffs a little.

Any uni students want to tell us their story of getting in below the cutoff or something lol?

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Rageeb said:
Pretty much the title really.

For example lets say BEc @ UNSW is 91.20. I get 86+4 bonus points which puts me at 91.00, does that mean i won't get accepted into the course for being 0.2 below the cutoff?
I asked this question during the UNSW open day UAC talk thingo and she said that if you make the cutoff using bonus points you should get the place but that if you miss out then too bad because the UAI cutoffs are absolute. Anyone want to elaborate?

i've heard stories of people getting into subjects 2-3 points below their cutoff but i'm assuming the majority of these are urban rumours.
Uni probably isn't the best place for nurturing your astounding abilities.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Azamakumar said:
Uni probably isn't the best place for nurturing your astounding abilities.
typing error. my bad.

edit: i just realised you were the guy that thought a camry was efficient. you probably also believe the stereotype that they're reliable lol. *cough*TRD incident*cough*

Last edited:

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
The cut off is just how popular the course is. There are a certain number of places available for CSP students (in the old system.... not sure how it works now). So, the number of people applying for the course determines the UAI cut off for that year. Unless it's medicine, where the minimum is technically 95, but since so many people apply, the average UAI for med students is like 99 or something.

HSC
08ers are treading into major reforms at University.

CSP places
HSC Bonus Points
etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)