How to find out your overall rank in the state for a subject (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
kids these days

my school didn't offer extension 2 english or maths

but my cohort went and talked to the head of secondary and the principal, we explained that we really, really, really wanted to do those subjects and that we were willing to go to class before and after normal school start so that we could go through content

and then they ~magically~ offered it

wheres the fight and passion
The teachers really didn't demonstrate any intention at all for letting EX2 go through. Otherwise I would've loved reading three major works.

Skill?

If your teachers didn't want to put in effort, you complain to the principal or head of school that you want to do these subjects, you are paying to go to these schools, this is your HSC and an important year of your life, and "I'm too lazy to supervise you" is a bullcrap excuse
Do you want to go to my school and ask why they neglected the subject then?

Plus, the principal isn't responsible for everything. All queries are made to the department coordinator or curriculum coordinator.

Edit: Merged posts.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
The teachers really didn't demonstrate any intention at all for letting EX2 go through. Otherwise I would've loved reading three major works.
Do you want to go to my school and ask why they neglected the subject then?

Plus, the principal isn't responsible for everything. All queries are made to the department coordinator or curriculum coordinator.
well then you go up to them and you go "Wtf is this - i want to do x subject for my hsc, why are you not offering it or are too lazy to offer it?"

don't blame this all on the teachers

my school did the same thing - they offered us ext. 1 english and maths, and that was fine for most cases, because my school is some random school in sydney's west that was only made in 1997 and only once in the school's history before my cohort had they even offered any extension courses ever

but then my cohort came in and we had lots of smart people and we wanted to push ourselves, and when we all kicked up a fuss, they started offering us the subjects we wanted to do

in return, we took those classes out of normal school hours at the expense of our time as well

I feel you guys just accepted they didn't offer it and said "okay well, GG we tried"

leehuan

HSC
well then you go up to them and you go "Wtf is this - i want to do x subject for my hsc, why are you not offering it or are too lazy to offer it?"

my school did the same thing - they offered us ext. 1 english and maths, and that was fine for most cases, because my school is some random school in sydney's west that was only made in 1997 and only once in the school's history before my cohort had they even offered any extension courses ever

but then my cohort came in and we had lots of smart people and we wanted to push ourselves, and when we all kicked up a fuss, they started offering us the subjects we wanted to do

in return, we took those classes out of normal school hours at the expense of our time as well

I feel you guys just accepted they didn't offer it and said "okay well, GG we tried"
What makes you think that?

(Also, I'm only taking these comments on behalf of my colleagues. I was just a mere advanced student.)

What if, hypothetically, the teachers at my school didn't remember anything anymore so they didn't offer MX2 for that reason? Even if it's an absurd idea, it's not that easy to simply employ a new MX2 teacher and some people simply don't teach for a long time! One of the biology/general maths teachers got told to teach 2U whilst teachers were on leave, hah how disastrous that was.

Some teachers just don't have enough experience and skill to do it. What part of that can't you accept? If it really bothers you that much ring up my school. They'll give you a more honest answer if that's all you want. I can only speak for what has gone past my eyes.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC

Aren't all extension classes out of normal school hours?

leehuan

HSC
thanks lol

and oh ok, like during your free periods/lunch breaks?
No, MX1 was actually on one of the subject lines.

Of course, as a 1U subject you did get given study periods with the choice.

@ SD: The HSC is over for us anyway. Why are you so insistent on those people not fighting? If it's such a bother inbox me.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What makes you think that?

(Also, I'm only taking these comments on behalf of my colleagues. I was just a mere advanced student.)

What if, hypothetically, the teachers at my school didn't remember anything anymore so they didn't offer MX2 for that reason? Even if it's an absurd idea, it's not that easy to simply employ a new MX2 teacher and some people simply don't teach for a long time! One of the biology/general maths teachers got told to teach 2U whilst teachers were on leave, hah how disastrous that was.

Some teachers just don't have enough experience and skill to do it. What part of that can't you accept? If it really bothers you that much ring up my school. They'll give you a more honest answer if that's all you want. I can only speak for what has gone past my eyes.
it's the vibe i'm getting

If they don't remember anything anymore, then they can refresh themselves by looking over the material. I haven't touched some 2u stuff since 2010 but one look at the textbook and it all comes back, and I'm not even a teacher.

And you can always do courses through Open High School or external providers if you really, really, really wanted to do it, or self-teaching with the assistance of a teacher

what i'm looking for here is effort, and the vibe i'm getting is "ok well our teachers arent qualified to do ex2 or mx2 so let's just not do those at all even though i really want to do it"

Aren't all extension classes out of normal school hours?
Well, I had to give up sport - friends wanted me to play in the school cricket team - to do mx1

Since my school was small, we just arranged when everyone was free

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC

@ SD: The HSC is over for us anyway. Why are you so insistent on those people not fighting? If it's such a bother inbox me.
oh wow
at my school both extensions were like 7:30am-8:30am or 3pm-4pm on days of the classes' choosing

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

@ SD: The HSC is over for us anyway. Why are you so insistent on those people not fighting? If it's such a bother inbox me
because i believe in fighting for things that are worth fighting for

such as love and doing hsc subjects you want to do

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
and regarding the 'omg as if you didn't fight for EX2 thing'

in year 10 I wasn't really aware of anything (lel) and I didn't know how simple it would be for my teacher to just let us do EX2 and I didn't know it was just as simple as pushing for it and stuff

leehuan

HSC
oh wow
at my school both extensions were like 7:30am-8:30am or 3pm-4pm on days of the classes' choosing
MX2 was 7:30am-8:20am here (we have 50min periods), every Tues/Wed

MX1 was successfully inserted. It typically happens, because whilst MX1 always shrinks the starting size has typically been 27+
it's the vibe i'm getting

If they don't remember anything anymore, then they can refresh themselves by looking over the material. I haven't touched some 2u stuff since 2010 but one look at the textbook and it all comes back, and I'm not even a teacher.

And you can always do courses through Open High School or external providers if you really, really, really wanted to do it, or self-teaching with the assistance of a teacher

what i'm looking for here is effort, and the vibe i'm getting is "ok well our teachers arent qualified to do ex2 or mx2 so let's just not do those at all even though i really want to do it"

Well, I had to give up sport - friends wanted me to play in the school cricket team - to do mx1

Since my school was small, we just arranged when everyone was free
I did enquire about external education. Then I found out it seemingly costed too much.

Self = No. How are you going to deal with your internals.

Here's the thing, I'm not sure if the English department (as of present) ever taught EX2. It used to be one teacher that taught it every year and that was around pre-2013 I think. (Lol, I wasn't even at the school then!)

For starters, you have not met our department to comment so much. The students all have alternate subjects they can do, so why push for this specific one? You don't need to do a subject to play the HSC well enough and enjoy it. Plus, many of the best English students only ever did advanced anyway. These guys, of course, did X1 whilst they had the opportunity. If these students just kept fighting, they would've been bashing a brick wall with fists.
because i believe in fighting for things that are worth fighting for

such as love and doing hsc subjects you want to do
You don't have to do a specific subject to enjoy the HSC no matter how much you want to do it.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
and regarding the 'omg as if you didn't fight for EX2 thing'

in year 10 I wasn't really aware of anything (lel) and I didn't know how simple it would be for my teacher to just let us do EX2 and I didn't know it was just as simple as pushing for it and stuff
oh we only pushed for it in year 11

we thought it was a bit silly for the school to offer us ext. 1 but not ext. 2, and since we had about five smart people in the grade, we were all collectively "wtf"

it also helped that half the grade left in year 10, most of which to go to a selective school, so we pulled the whole "omg why didn't we just leave the school, look at those people who left, they get to do extension 2s" (quietly) and... yeah

I did enquire about external education. Then I found out it seemingly costed too much.

Self = No. How are you going to deal with your internals.

Here's the thing, I'm not sure if the English department (as of present) ever taught EX2. It used to be one teacher that taught it every year and that was around pre-2013 I think. (Lol, I wasn't even at the school then!)

For starters, you have not met our department to comment so much. The students all have alternate subjects they can do, so why push for this specific one? You don't need to do a subject to play the HSC well enough and enjoy it. Plus, many of the best English students only ever did advanced anyway. These guys, of course, did X1 whilst they had the opportunity. If these students just kept fighting, they would've been bashing a brick wall with fists.

You don't have to do a specific subject to enjoy the HSC no matter how much you want to do it.
if you're self taught, you don't have internals iirc - and you can get a tutor to help you out, i think davidgoes4hsc or whatever his name is is trying to do that

And no you don't need to do a subject to enjoy your HSC, but Ext. 2 English was the most fun awesome subject I did, and that just boosted my enjoyment of the HSC year so so much

also the bolded illustrates my point exactly, because you're presupposing the outcome

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
MX1 was successfully inserted. It typically happens, because whilst MX1 always shrinks the starting size has typically been 27+
LOL

EX1 started at 6, ended with 3
MX1 started with 6, ended with 1

oh we only pushed for it in year 11

we thought it was a bit silly for the school to offer us ext. 1 but not ext. 2, and since we had about five smart people in the grade, we were all collectively "wtf"
Oh, there was only 2 of us who really wanted EX2

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
LOL

EX1 started at 6, ended with 3
MX1 started with 6, ended with 1

Oh, there was only 2 of us who really wanted EX2
really? wow

We had 13 in Advanced, 10 of us did Extension 1 and then I think 8 of us did Extension 2 at first (but I think only three or four of us finished it)

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
really? wow

We had 13 in Advanced, 10 of us did Extension 1 and then I think 8 of us did Extension 2 at first (but I think only three or four of us finished it)
Adv started at around 15 but by Term 2 there was 9 of us, but 3-4 of them were part time students lol never came to class

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
But part time is a thing I think? During prelims a girl in my year got pregnant so she had completed 12 prelim units, so this year she came to school 2-3 days a week to roughly attend 2 classes and sat those 2 exams, then next year she'll attend a few days a week to do the other few subjects and do those exams next year

so like opposite of accelerated lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)