How to get band 5 without a tutor! (1 Viewer)

SK2010

HSC
Hey guys, as some of you are in the year of HSC FML process, I wanted to ask if any of you guys has a tutor or not. I created this forum so we can discuss on other ways to get a band 5 such as:

1. How to study
2. What texts are good for related
3. Essay structures
4. Preparation for HSC

Ok so far I have been going through various of forum on BOS and seeing people's sig with this:

"Hey I passed and got a ATAR of 99 and i'll tutor you to get to same"

...Well in my opinion its pathetic because no.1 EVERYONE HAS THERE OWN WAYS OR LEARNING!!!

So basically this forum will provide SOME ways on how to improve your writing abilities.

Please anyone viewing this write something below!!!

Thanks guys!!!

SK2010

HSC
So basically to start off...

Does anyone have a tutor and do you think it is worth the money?

Because unlike me I cannot afford to pay for a tutor and I think it is a disadvantage to students like me becuase I strongly think that having a tutor is more like paying to get answers. (I am not trying to offend anyone I am just trying to figure out if tutors are what they describe themselves to be - if you get me)

At my school everyone in my advanced english class has a tutor except me :(
Which IS a disadvantage because I always get average marks which is annoying. (If you're like me - I feel your pain!)

I get PO'd when others get higher marks than brag about their english tutors....SO WHAT!

Anyways comment below please for feedback!!!

SK2010

HSC
If annoy of you guys out there who have finished or getting high marks please comment!! I need feedback becuase I really want to know what were your ups and downs during your HSC year.

I am annoyed that there is so much inequality in education!

Please comment on what you are going through or have experienced through school.

I believe the Dept. of Education needs to change....so much disadvantages.

SK2010

HSC
ESSAY STRUCTURES!

came across some like:

(1) SEXY - State/Example/Explain/Why, Techniques + Quotes
(2) TEE - Technique, Explain, Example
(3) TQE - Technique, quote, Explain

Yeah yeah...but what about the real deal, the answers to questions?, I responses from others? come on guys!

What about textual integrity???????

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
I have STEEL - statement, technique, explanation, effect, link

SK2010

HSC
I have STEEL - statement, technique, explanation, effect, link
Thanks that pretty good too! Finally someone posts sometime in my forum lol

Yeah do you have any tips on getting band 5 in english??? (just curious) lol

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
In the exam it doesn't really matter how your school marks you. A band 5 in the exam is the same everywhere, as is a band 6.

SK2010

HSC
In the exam it doesn't really matter how your school marks you. A band 5 in the exam is the same everywhere, as is a band 6.
Well what do you suggest to do?

But school marks do count towards your HSC. Isn't it 50/50 thing.

50% school mark and 50% HSC test mark

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
i dont go tutor cos im lazy but if you cant afford a tutor you can apply for the +5 atar thingy where you say you're underfunded.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
There's a whole bunch of scaling and aligning that goes on as well. Basically just because your recieving band 5's for a hard marking school, this won't mean it will be a band five when used in determining your final mark. It's to do with rankings, not bands.

SK2010

HSC
i dont go tutor cos im lazy but if you cant afford a tutor you can apply for the +5 atar thingy where you say you're underfunded.
LOL so what is this +5 thing (underfunded) what does this mean??? Please explain, I'm really interested!!!

NewiJapper

HSC
If they are marking you "hard" that is a good thing, because you will strive to do better and they may even mark "harder" than a usual HSC marker. So a scenario could appear that in your trial you get 30/40 for Paper 1 but in your actual HSC you would get 35/40 or even higher. Realisitic goals should be set on your own accord based on your ability not a teachers ability to mark "hard"

SK2010

HSC
There's a whole bunch of scaling and aligning that goes on as well. Basically just because your recieving band 5's for a hard marking school, this won't mean it will be a band five when used in determining your final mark. It's to do with rankings, not bands.
Yeah, so how do you get your rank up when you spent some much time doing essay writing and producing not high results. An my teacher does not want to help rather review and talk never "oh ok let's me show you how I'd re-structure it"...its more like "just change this word and that word and rephrase this sentence" arrgh! I'm gonna go ballistic here!!!

SK2010

HSC
If they are marking you "hard" that is a good thing, because you will strive to do better and they may even mark "harder" than a usual HSC marker. So a scenario could appear that in your trial you get 30/40 for Paper 1 but in your actual HSC you would get 35/40 or even higher. Realisitic goals should be set on your own accord based on your ability not a teachers ability to mark "hard"
Yeah I understand where your coming from but I don't understand the fact that I am putting 110% in my essays and trying to improve after each one but keep getting the same result which is frastrating.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yeah, so how do you get your rank up when you spent some much time doing essay writing and producing not high results. An my teacher does not want to help rather review and talk never "oh ok let's me show you how I'd re-structure it"...its more like "just change this word and that word and rephrase this sentence" arrgh! I'm gonna go ballistic here!!!
I'm not sure what your point is in regard to my post...

Whether all your year gets band 6's or the top mark is a band 4, internally it doesn't matter. The difficult the marking in you school has no reflection when totalling overall marks. Your rank however, influences the marks you will recieve. Your internal school marks aren't used. Your ranks (based on prior internal marks) use external scores (the HSC exam), give you your final internal marks

K

Kozak92

Yeah I understand where your coming from but I don't understand the fact that I am putting 110% in my essays and trying to improve after each one but keep getting the same result which is frastrating.
At least you're consistent :p

Anyway I have a tutor because teachers can't critique on works that are assessments. $40 for 2 hours once a week is really not that much money...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)