how to get into dentistry? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I have no idea how to get into dentistry from HSC. I had a look at other posts but there's a lot of jargon i'm not familiar with me. Could someone explain to me, as if you were explaining to a kid?

crazy_paki123

HSC
I think you do medical science or something like that as an undergrad and then do Postgrad Dentistry if you have satisfactory marks

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you do medical science or something like that as an undergrad and then do Postgrad Dentistry if you have satisfactory marks
depends where you go.

You can do it undergrad at some places.

lawstu

HSC
Do passably well (a 5.5 GPA) any course at any university, sit the standardised medical schools admission exam, pray, do an interview if you get one, pray, and wait.

If you're sure you want to do dental studies and immediately, consider doing dentistry at the University of Adelaide. They have a solid course there.

Whilst the med program's déclassé, the dentistry program's all right, granted there aren't as many dental programs around the country and in NSW. If you're all right with moving out of state and doing graduate-entry dentistry, consider the University of Melbourne.

Best of luck with your HSC year.

spritzersmrits7

HSC
You can definitely get into undergrad dentistry provided your ATAR/UMAT/interview is what they want.

Undergrad dent: UAdel, UQ, Griffith, JCU & La Trobe

UMelb and USyd are postgrad

mrteeson

HSC
I have no idea how to get into dentistry from HSC. I had a look at other posts but there's a lot of jargon i'm not familiar with me. Could someone explain to me, as if you were explaining to a kid?
Hmmmmm by the looks of your aim/goal you want to do it at usyd (like me:D), to get into usyd DMD(postgrad course). So here are the list to do in order to get into usyd dentistry:
1. Do an undergrad course (even though people recommend med sci i see a lot of applicants who make it through are usually bach of science students but it still doesnt matter since arts students have equal chance as well).
2. GPA 5.5 min, aim high (credit is minimum for the required GPA)
3. Sit GAMSAT (i think the average for this year is 67, and will likely increase by the time you reach 3rd year)
4. attend MMI (did well in gamsat)
5. apply for DMD postgrad (60 spots for domestic) so its VERY competitive

But if you want to do dentistry asap, you can apply to bach of dental science at csu/orange (ATAR is around 99), that's the only uni i know that offers dentistry as undergrad in NSW.
other then that wish you best of luck!

lawstu

HSC
The cut-off or threshold is 68 this year.
The mean is ~75.
The median is ~72.

Honestly, I don't recommend narrowing your horizons simply to Sydney or NSW universities. If you're dead serious about becoming a dentist, the exact uni isn't a big deal (other than campus, facilities, etc.). At the end of a medical or dental programme, you'll still graduate not really knowing what's going on.

For UG dent, if it's available to you, go to Adelaide or something. Finish uni earlier, then start to pay off your HECS and get your life sorted sooner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)