How to get your raw marks / Raw Marks FAQ (1 Viewer)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I've written up this quick guide for anyone who wants to make an FOI request for raw marks. (Mods, please sticky!) If I've missed anything please say so.

This information is written in accordance with the provisions of the present Freedom of Information Act 1989, which will be repealed and replaced with the new Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 sometime very soon. Some of the details will change - I'll attempt to update this guide when the new legislation comes into effect.

At present, if you want your raw marks from the Board of Studies, you will need to lodge a Freedom of Information request asking for the information you're looking for. You should be able to request this information from around early December.

1. Write a letter to:
FOI Coordinator
Office of the Board of Studies
GPO Box 5300
SYDNEY NSW 2001
At present (December 2009), the FOI Coordinator is Mr Stephen Parkes, who can be emailed at stephen.parkes (AT) bos.nsw.edu.au.

Alternatively, you can use the BOS-provided FOI form (http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/administration/foi_application_form.pdf) however I prefer typing to handwriting ;)

2. State that you are making a request under section 17 of the Freedom of Information Act 1989.

3. Ask for the information you want in relation to your HSC enrolment:

• raw marks and weighted marks for each question
  • details of optional question scaling
  • state rank
  • initial school assessment mark
  • initial moderated assessment mark
  • copies of examination scripts (within 6 months of HSC marking)
  • details of the marking of major works (if applicable)
State that the information you are seeking is considered 'personal information'. Note that if it takes the BOS staff more than 20 hours to find the information requested, they may bill you at a rate of $30 per hour, but I don't think that's happened to anyone as yet.

4. List your personal details: at a minimum, your name, DOB, postal address within Australia, BOS student number. You may want to attach a JP-certified copy of some proof of ID, but I think it's unlikely they'll need the full 100 points of ID.

5. You may state your preferred form for receiving the requested information. By default, they'll post it to you, but you can request any other format e.g. email or fax. Remember to give the relevant contact details if you request an alternative format.

6. Attach payment in the form of a cheque or money order. It's a $30 application fee normally, however if you are under 18, claim certain Centrelink benefits or fall into certain other categories, you only need to send $15. See the Department of Premier and Cabinet website for more details about reductions in fees.

7. Send, and await results within 21 days.

Alternatively: you may choose to make a request for this information under section 14 of the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998. These requests are (at least initially) free of charge, however the law does not specify a strict timeframe for the Board of Studies to respond, so they could take longer than making a request under the FOI Act. As far as I know, no-one has attempted such a request as yet.

FAQs

Will my request take over 20 hours, resulting in a processing charge?

Probably not. I requested all this information, and wasn't charged anything beyond the application fee. According to the Board of Studies annual reports, they have had very few, if any, requests that take more than 20 hours to process. Most likely, a standard request would take 10 hours or less, which is included for free in the application fee.

Can I request that my raw marks and exam scripts be sent to me by email?

Yes. Just state that on your application and be sure to include your email address.

How long do I have to make my request?

If you want full examination scripts, you must apply within 6 months of the conclusion of HSC marking. However, if you only want your raw marks, rankings and similar information, you can apply at any time.

When is the earliest I can lodge an application?

The earliest you should lodge an application is around results day (i.e. the middle Wednesday of December) in the year you complete the exam.

Last edited:

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
Great guide, if people can get there raw marks it would be nice to know.

I suspect Boardofstudies is going to get spammed with requests now, because of this site

ajdlinux

HSC

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Yes, for the sole reason that it's easier to type a letter than handwrite the stuff onto that form. Legally, it just has to be in writing on paper, so you can choose to use the form, or write up your own request.
How the fuck did you do IPT in 2004?

blackratpoo

HSC
when do you get the info?
can you ask for everything for every subject? e.g. raw marks, scaling reports etc..

ajdlinux

HSC
when do you get the info?
can you ask for everything for every subject? e.g. raw marks, scaling reports etc..
The info must be sent within 21 days of them receiving your request. You can ask for just about anything held by BOS, which excludes anything university or ATAR-related, so no scaling reports.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)