• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How to improve my shitty english? (1 Viewer)

muzeikchun852

HSC
hi. i need big help with my english. i just got back my english trial, and the result was really bad [well i passed], but the school centificate is coming up and i have chosen to do english advanced. i have just create this thread and see whether anyone can help me with poor and shitty english.

teacher's comment was needed to improve sentence structure and the problem with switching tense.

how can i improve my english? i have tried excel english exercise..it doesnt really work.

thanks for any help in advance.

orthentix

HSC
I'm just going to be a troll and put this out there but starting with a more sound title may give you the ability to compose one for future articles.

I recommend a tutor or reading. Reading is the best thing you can do. Read about something youre interested in and immerse yourself in it.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Developing your English skills is no one day affair.
You may cram up facts, but there is no way to blitz through real english.
Read.
Practice your Writing Skills. Regularly compose pieces and somehow get them corrected (tutor/teacher maybe)
Look up different techniques used while writing and the concept of tense.
google works just fine...

leeseungjoo91

HSC
uh... honestly?
you either have it or you don't unfortunately as i have undertstood this year...

Well.. first of all you have to channel into educational programs on ABC, SBS which deal with political and contentious issues such as MediaWatch, Four Corners, and that debating one (forgot the name)

Watch them and "apparently" it subconsciously improves your english both speaking and writing skills. Also radio is a good source to improve english ^^
not fm but am...
Listen in on news and that like BBC through 630 am and other programs which deal with the workings of the world...

thats what i was taught so anymore questions pm me or something .... This method moved me from bottom half of the class to 2nd as final ranking. hehe

Also, practice hard on your essays!!!! like uber hard before you trials and that in the future years. Good luck

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Reading is very important. I used to never read in year 7 and year 8, and did poorly in English. I read every night for an hour or so in year 9 and came 1st in the grade. Also you may want to brush up on techniques, answer short answers more effectively and make short story ideas beforehand.

DforDANNY

HSC
Uni Grad
Read read read, immerse yourself in life (watch news, movies, see whats happening), open yourself up to everything (understand different social aspects of life so you can get a new perspective), try new things.

From previous experiences, if you currently spend most of your free-time playing games, i suggest QUITTING or going easy on it. Your imagination will be just whatever game you're playing. (note, for those who havn't played dota, try playing non-stop for a month and nothing else, and try write a decent story WITHOUT mentioning anything dota. :) )

Riot09

HSC
Read read read, immerse yourself in life (watch news, movies, see whats happening), open yourself up to everything (understand different social aspects of life so you can get a new perspective), try new things.
so true just read and watch t.v programs such as the news,drama's espicially and occasionly comedies.i watch t.v with the subtitles on and look up a few words in the dictionary each day to help with my english.alos look at things at a whole than break it down rather than vice-versa and read things twice if you don't get it and a 3rd time to make sure.

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Improve English for SC?? Don't be silly. Your not sitting an English exam. Your sitting a literacy exam. For the most part, the skills you'll study for this exam will be thrown out the window once you enter Prelim and HSC. So what am I saying? Don't waste your time!

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I've read a thesaurus once, and it tremendously constructive. As for the dictionary, I've read up to five pages in the Oxford dictionary at one bored instance however its hard to retain the information. Now to instigate reading Frankenstein.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
I've read a thesaurus once, and it tremendously constructive. As for the dictionary, I've read up to five pages in the Oxford dictionary at one bored instance however its hard to retain the information. Now to instigate reading Frankenstein.
Reading a thesaurus is quite crude. It often leads to using words in the wrong context. lol i've done that loads. eg. you don't 'instigate' reading a book, rather you may initiate, begin etc. 'instigate' implies provoking or inciting. reading a BOOK is hence more beneficial although i usually get bored after the first page :jump:

muzeikchun852

HSC
thanks for everyones suggestion..
Improve English for SC?? Don't be silly. Your not sitting an English exam. Your sitting a literacy exam. For the most part, the skills you'll study for this exam will be thrown out the window once you enter Prelim and HSC. So what am I saying? Don't waste your time!
does it? i couldnt careless about SC really..but in hsc, there will be a part on creative writing..thats testing a bit of ur literacy.

HSC
Uni Grad
Read a diverse range of books (Obviously)
Practice writing essays about a particular topic you're interested in, and then see if your arguments make sense, as well as the structure, tense and the other mechanics of writing.

Opening your mind up to different sorts of knowledge may also help your English because it may help you grasp some of the concepts involved in English, such as comprehending, writing, etc. Background knowledge is also important too. =D

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
LOL. When I was in year 5 or so I read the dictionary. I got up to C. A pretty big achievement if you ask me.

I don't remember a single word I learnt except for atheist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)