How to remember everything in HSC chemistry? (1 Viewer)

MzRobinHood97

HSC
Hello,
Like the title states, I suck in memorising things in time even at the second focus at Production of Materials. All students in my class know their stuff really well, and I'm trying to remember everything. It's getting really frustrating on what to know and what not to know. My notes for one dot point, I try to make at least 3 pages with lots of info and research, but it's impossible to memorise!

callipygian

HSC
My notes for one dot point, I try to make at least 3 pages with lots of info and research, but it's impossible to memorise!
Maybe try cutting your dot point notes down.... I found that the more I could summarise my notes the better I learned them. My production of materials notes ended up being ~9 pages in the end. If you can't figure out what to cut and what to learn, ask your teacher, or use online resources as a guide.

Also, everyone studies in very different ways, and now's a perfect time to figure out how you study - try recording yourself reading your notes out and play the recording back, or teaching a stuffed animal, or drawing mind maps. Eventually you'll find the technique that works for you :)

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Imagine yourself doing the HSC chemistry exam. What you will be doing is actively recalling what you know and applying it. That is... you are testing your knowledge on chemistry

So what you want to do is to test yourself 24/7 without the aid of notes. You can read all your notes and memorize them while do you read them, but when you test yourself (just like doing your exam), you are making those memories last longer

Next time when go shower, take a dump, or just before you sleep, quickly recall something in chem (eg. how does acid rain form, or what is catalytic cracking)

The science behind all of this is very nice (Long term potentiation (LTP))

GOOD LUCK AND WORK ON YOUR WEAKNESSES!

wishingstars

HSC
I don't think there's any surefire way of memorising everything in HSC chem.
However, there are things that may make it a little easier:
- read your notes out loud to yourself (this is an "active" approach which I find quite effective when studying any subject)
- record yourself reading your notes & play these back to yourself (which someone already mentioned above) -> this doesn't require too much effort and if you do it over and over, it'll really help you retain the information)
- Continuously revise and review info you've learnt (i.e. if you are making your own notes, be sure to review them every so often - it'll really help let any info in chem stick in your head) [which has also been mentioned above :p)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)