Howard and Costello - The 'Deal' (1 Viewer)

Chrispy

vote for dtp = <3
HSC
No, I mean, what's their motivation to be anti-Liberal? To cause controversy?

Raginsheep

HSC
Im pretty sure the media is anti-labour in regards to state politics. Its a story, a big one although many may disagree.

What this is though, as far as I can see, is that its the effective end of the Howard-Costello government. The question is where do we go from here now? Costello doesn't appear to have the support to mount a credible challenge although I've gathered Keating was in a similar position before he became PM.

Chrispy

vote for dtp = <3
HSC
Raginsheep said:
What this is though, as far as I can see, is that its the effective end of the Howard-Costello government.
Why? It hardly seems as though Costello's mounting a challenge, or that relations between the two men have deteriorated. To be, he's just confirming previous statements that an informal leadership deal existed between Howard and Costello back in 1994.

Raginsheep

HSC
From what I understand, Costello considers the deal to be more formal. From my perspective, he's basically called John Howard a lair only without using such words. How can you run a country effectively when the top two guys are casting doubts about each other's creditbility?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Rafy said:
On costello's comments today, i was somewhat suprised that he confirmed the speculation. I would understand this if he were about to challenge, however i just dont see him doing that.
Though I'm being highly speculative, perhaps he did it as a way to correct the PM. As in the PM's comments saying that no leadership deal was made could be taken by some (and maybe was taken by Costello) to mean that he is calling McLachlan a liar. If, without taking into account Howard's semantics that Generator mentioned, Costello thought that Howard was calling somebody a liar who isn't lying, maybe he decided to let the nation know that McLachlan was not lying.

Perhaps, since the Liberal Party is conservative, and holds conservative values, some things are considered more important than party politics.

As I said, that is highly speculative. It also appeared to me that Costello was rather upset when confirming McLachlan's claims.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Chrispy said:
To bleed the story dry and make money in the process.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
One of the key issues that is eluding both the media's attention, and that of Mr Costello, is a a minor detail that McLachlan noted. He did in fact say that whilst Howard had said that he would hand over the leadership at that particular time, it was NOT a guarantee, nor was it a confirmed, formal deal. In the news on Sunday night, when the story was relatively new, the reader only brushed over this fact and continued with the rest.

If one takes what McLachlan says, regarding it not being a guarantee, and looks further at the political climate following the 1998 election, it does give Howard some reasoning.

Why would any politician stand down following a tight election, that was fought on issues such as the implementation of the GST, issues that he strongly believed in and promised to the electorate. It would have been remiss of any leader to 'hand-over' leadership at such a volatile point, a time which could have provided Labor with the 'oomph' it needed to win an election. Subsequent to that, why would any political party want to break down a formula that won two, and eventually four straight elections?

Words may have been said, no guarantees were given, and at the end of the day, it was obviously not party consensus.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Indeed, to quote McLachlan, quoting Howard:

"I can’t guarantee this to you Peter, but my intention is not to hang around forever…”

HSC
Chrispy said:
You have 11 posts and you're in the big blogger competition?
What kind of criteria does BOS use to accept people into the comp:confused:

HSC
The Brucemaster said:
Then after Howard wins the election he'll announce his retirement and hand over to Costello.
Bronwyn Bishop on ABC just had a good point; you can't hand over the office. John Howard cannot hand the reigns to costello, the members of the liberal party must in a vote.

Raginsheep

HSC
Captain� Obvious said:
Bronwyn Bishop on ABC just had a good point; you can't hand over the office. John Howard cannot hand the reigns to costello, the members of the liberal party must in a vote.
Yes but given the respect his party memebers have for him, he can pretty much anoint his successor.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Raginsheep said:
Yes but given the respect his party memebers have for him, he can pretty much anoint his successor.
Respect and support aren't one and the same, Raginsheep. Still, given that the other contenders are still working their way up, it's likely that any changeover that takes place soon will not be contested.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If the options were Costello or someone else who wasn't Howard then the Liberal party would be very inclined to vote for Costello because he unifies the party my than any of the other ministers.

HSC
Ok I didnt mean literally just say 'OK im done here ya go Pete have the job' obviously when i said Howard would stand down he would do so legitimately.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Howard, Costello still a team

Prime Minister John Howard says he and Treasurer Peter Costello will continue to work together in their current roles despite a dispute over whether a deal was done to hand over the leadership.

Mr Howard continues to deny that in 1994 he promised to hand over the leadership to Mr Costello after serving two terms as Prime Minister.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
(Bob) Hawke's pointed out what the sensationalist media has missed, that is that they're putting up a strawman by saying the two directly contradict each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)