Howard to receive Medal of Freedom (1 Viewer)

bigb0yjames

HSC
Howard to receive US presidential award

Former prime minister John Howard will receive the US Presidential Medal of Freedom at a White House ceremony next week.The award is said to be the highest civilian honour bestowed by a United States president.
Mr Howard is being honoured for his role in fighting terrorism and for standing by the US as an ally during his 11 years as prime minister.
"Yes, I am honoured by it, more because of the compliment it pays to our country Australia," Mr Howard told ABC Radio.
"It's an indication of the very close relationship between our two countries and I'm very pleased that during the time as prime minister I was able to contribute too."
It was testament to the "very obvious" personal warmth between himself and President George W Bush.
Former British prime minister Tony Blair and Columbia's president Alvaro Uribe will also receive medals in the ceremony.
Bush is conferring the prestigious award on his friends in an East Room ceremony on January 13 - exactly one week before he leaves office, White House press secretary Dana Perino said on Monday.
"The president is honouring these leaders for their work to improve the lives of their citizens and for their efforts to promote democracy, human rights and peace abroad," she said.
"All three leaders have been staunch allies of the United States, particularly in combating terrorism."
The Medal of Freedom was established by President Harry Truman in 1945 to recognise civilians for their efforts during World War II.
The award was reinstated by President John F Kennedy in 1963 to honour distinguished service. It is given to those deemed to have made remarkable contributions to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, culture, or other private or public endeavours.
Prior to these three leaders, Bush has awarded 78 medals during his tenure in office.
Among the most controversial came in December 2004, when Bush gave the Presidential Medal of Freedom to former CIA Director George Tenet, former Iraq administrator L Paul Bremer and retired General Tommy Franks, three people central to his early policy in Iraq. Bush was especially criticised for including on the list Tenet, who came under fire for intelligence failures leading up to the September 11, 2001, attacks and the Iraq war.
Meanwhile, Australian Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young says the award for John Howard is more just a pat on the back by a mate than a recognition of leadership in human rights.
She questioned whether Mr Howard's record on human rights made him deserving of the highest civilian honour that can be bestowed by a US president.
"I find it ironic that a prime minister who has locked children up in detention, who has refused to apologise to the stolen generations and who has participated in a war in a Iraq that has been a debacle is given a medal for human rights and freedom," Senator Hanson-Young said.
"This award is more about George Bush patting his mates on the back than promoting some type of leadership in human rights."
fucking lol

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Re: John howard to receive "freedom" award for sucking up US ass during his 11 yr term!

What a fucking load of bullshit. The only thing that man deserves is to retire quietly and fade into obscurity.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Re: John howard to receive "freedom" award for sucking up US ass during his 11 yr term!

that is fucked.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

Trefoil said:
What a fucking load of bullshit. The only thing that man deserves is to retire quietly and fade into obscurity.
Please, tell us all how much you love JH.

Rainie

HSC

Please tell me this is a joke? I guess not. He refused to apologise to the stolen generation. Now, what kind of human rights is this? Let's not forget JH's "Ten Point Plan". Was there even terrorism with the so-called "Iraqi War". I think more innocent victims were killed than spared. Go figure, Mr Bush.

The equation is simple as to why Bushy loves him so much.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A

I see nothing wrong with it. History will judge both of these men.

The medal is as much about human rights, as it is public service. Whether the left wing apologists like it or not, JWH made significant contributions to public life in Australia. The alliance between the two nations was strengthened and national security undoubtedly improved. Agreement with the policies is not the issue. Each as 'public endeavours' fit within the meaning of the medal.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Re: John howard to receive "freedom" award

John Howard did the right thing though, not apologising to the stolen generation. Why should he apologies for something that happened in the past? That's like telling the Jews that they should apologies to the Christians for killing Jesus. It's just fucking stupid.

Also for the whole locking up Children in detention centres, they probably would bring disease to the rest of the children in Australia, so it was ok, as long as you put toys in the cells, they won't realise it's prison, it would feel like their own home, or even better!

that bloke

HSC

Rainie said:
I think more innocent victims were killed than spared. Go figure, Mr Bush.
Perhaps you should go investigate the number of innocents Saddam directly ordered murdered. And don't forget to take into account future projections of further murders were he still alive and in power. Also, do a search on "Saddam" and "genocide". Fucking idiot.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Re: John howard to receive "freedom" award

His name would always be, always be recorded in history
His name would always be, always be recorded in history
It gives me inspiration to sing, his heroic intervention in the NT,
No man can be braver than John Winston Howard, the Son of Australia.

With his traditional warriors at his side, he gave the Iraqis the first surprise
For when they called on him to surrender, "I am an Australian" was his answer
"And in the name of democracy, I will die for freedom and liberty",
They don't come no braver than John Winston Howard, the Son of Australia.

Let us go back in past history, go think George Washington and General Lee,
Hmm even hailin' Patrick Henry, Abe Lincoln- emancipator in slavery
But we'll read of Howard when he's gone, for he's a genius if one was ever born

With the blue ensign laying at his side, for this flag he intend to die,
Howard, the man with the heart of steel, to the invading Refugees he would never yield
He told the abos for a fact, "I'm not apologising, but I'm coming back for four terms"

bigb0yjames

HSC

that bloke said:
Perhaps you should go investigate the number of innocents Saddam directly ordered murdered. And don't forget to take into account future projections of further murders were he still alive and in power. Also, do a search on "Saddam" and "genocide". Fucking idiot.
yeah. the coalition found WMD's

that bloke

HSC

i'm not about to argue against the ridiculous levels of bullshit involved in the excuses for invasion, nor for the rubbish methods used, but i am certainly not about to mourn the loss of that sick and twisted fuck.

bigb0yjames

HSC

that bloke said:
i'm not about to argue against the ridiculous levels of bullshit involved in the excuses for invasion, nor for the rubbish methods used, but i am certainly not about to mourn the loss of that sick and twisted fuck.
there is nothing wrong with that. however, your post under toned that fact that even though the initial invasion was wrong, it should be morally applauded because sadam isnt there anymore. which is wrong

Zionist

HSC

I personally believe John Howard deserve more than that, perhaps Nobel peace prize or even Victoria Cross (only if civilians were eligible). History will vindicate that John Howard and George Bush are the liberator of Iraq, sooner or later.

HSC

Agree with above

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A

It's kind of ironic that Bush is giving a medal to the guy that brought gun control to Australia (one of the few excellent policy decisions he made).

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

Trefoil said:
It's kind of ironic that Bush is giving a medal to the guy that brought gun control to Australia (one of the few excellent policy decisions he made).
AHAHA

John Howard should just float away into the unknown, it's just Bush doing whatever he can with his nearly ending power and i agree with the posts on page #1.

mrcalkin

Banned
HSC

i loled when i heard of this.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Schroedinger said:
Yeah given how many immigrants JWH let in. Probably hundreds of sleeper cells in the Muslim menace JWH unleashed upon JesusStralia.
Gah I knew it was de immigants. Even when it was da bears I knew it was dem!

HSC

Schroedinger said:
Say what you want but Howard was 10x the PM Rudd is.
+ 1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)