Hsc 2007 Results..not Happy?were You Treated Unfair? Read This And Sign My Petition! (1 Viewer)

Ajuddie

HSC
Hello fellow HSC goers,

My name is Katey and I'm writing to you all as a means of finding if their is any expression of interest out there for all the people who did well and got marked well in their HSC but found their UAI was a completely different story.

I scored scores of 93 for Music, and the rest of my subjects including English, IPT, Legal studies were ABOVE 70 and yet my mark was a staggering 57.

I find this totally unfair, and I can imagine and feel how painful it must be for the other people just like me who are out there, who have performed well and got good marks on their HSC but have been dished a hand of cruelness because the board of studies SCALING SYSTEM only awards those right at the top.

How is this fair to all the people who had studied just as much, and do their best to be completely shattered and forced to have a hand of results which really doesn't reflect how much work they have done and earned.

I put this out to the students who have just got their HSC & UAI results, IF YOU FEEL LIKE I DO THAT YOU HAVE BEEN DISADVANTAGED AND WRONGLY TREATED BY THIS SCALING SYSTEM THAT IS IN PLACE, THEN JOIN ME IN STARTING A PETITION TO BE SENT TO THE HEAD OF THE BOARD OF STUDIES.

This system only advantages those who are at the top, while we little guys suffer from a system that is sub-basic and completely inaccurate and unfair.

Please, if you feel cheated, upset, angry at the way your marks have been calculated then please reply to this thread and I will try my best to get this petition off the ground and start making the necessary steps in having this dummy system abolished.

LET’S DO IT!

- Kate - (Student of yr 12 HSC 2007)

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I lol at this.

Give us your overall rankings and total HSC marks and we'll judge if you've been mistreated or not.

Please don't go on how "But I studied just as much as the Extension 2 Math people do, why should I be treated unfairly?". Difficulty of the course and the amount of people doing it come into play.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Re: Hsc 2007 Results..not Happy?were You Treated Unfair? Read This And Sign My Petiti

UAI = Rank
Shit UAI = Majority of people are smarter than you

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
yeah, this years were way smarter.
maybe do it again next year and you might get a 60.
maybe 65 if you push hard!

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Re: Hsc 2007 Results..not Happy?were You Treated Unfair? Read This And Sign My Petiti

risole91 said:
yeah, this years were way smarter.
Not what I meant.

blacktea-

HSC
I'm doing an accelarated IPT course at the moment, it might be because of the subjects you chose? subjects like IPT scale you down T_T

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC

ari89 said:
Not what I meant.
yeah i no, but im just adding.
that if she had've done her hsc previosly she may have achieved a higher UAI.

Gabcom

HSC

lollerskates
roflcopter
lmaonade
> : 3

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Ajuddie said:
Hello fellow HSC goers,

My name is Katey and I'm writing to you all as a means of finding if their is any expression of interest out there for all the people who did well and got marked well in their HSC but found their UAI was a completely different story.

I scored scores of 93 for Music, and the rest of my subjects including English, IPT, Legal studies were ABOVE 70 and yet my mark was a staggering 57.

I find this totally unfair, and I can imagine and feel how painful it must be for the other people just like me who are out there, who have performed well and got good marks on their HSC but have been dished a hand of cruelness because the board of studies SCALING SYSTEM only awards those right at the top.

How is this fair to all the people who had studied just as much, and do their best to be completely shattered and forced to have a hand of results which really doesn't reflect how much work they have done and earned.

I put this out to the students who have just got their HSC & UAI results, IF YOU FEEL LIKE I DO THAT YOU HAVE BEEN DISADVANTAGED AND WRONGLY TREATED BY THIS SCALING SYSTEM THAT IS IN PLACE, THEN JOIN ME IN STARTING A PETITION TO BE SENT TO THE HEAD OF THE BOARD OF STUDIES.

This system only advantages those who are at the top, while we little guys suffer from a system that is sub-basic and completely inaccurate and unfair.

Please, if you feel cheated, upset, angry at the way your marks have been calculated then please reply to this thread and I will try my best to get this petition off the ground and start making the necessary steps in having this dummy system abolished.

LET’S DO IT!

I've got to say, you didn't exactly perform 'well' in anything other than music.

You probably don't deserve any extra consideration considering that you posted this in an irrelevant forum.

That, and the fact that petitions don't work.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

Haha Oh Wow.

Anonymous1

HSC
The sad thing is I am confident in betting my UAI on the fact that you don't understand the half of how the 'scaling system' works, nor do the majority, yet you're starting a petition (which btw is set to fail from it's beginnings for many reasons) assuming there are loop holes in the very system you can’t comprehend for a second. The use of unnecessary large font and irritating capitals are just one flaw demonstrating how unsuccessful the petition will be, against a STATE system. (Yes, the capitals were necessary to highlight your stupidity.) Get over it. Put a music video on you tube or something, at least you’ll enjoy wasting your time that way. I’d disable the comments though cause’ I doubt you’re any good anyway. :)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
By the way, the board of studies has nothing to do with the UAI.

jacsjess

HSC
Guys your being kinda harsh here. Maybe she doesn't understand the scaling system but that's not surprising because it's really complex and I bet none you completely understand it yourselves. Everyone's allowed to feel like they deserved more. We work damn hard and have different talents. Mr ext. math and science guys could you get up and perform in front of strangers for your HSC? Accept the differences in people and realise you'd hate the world if everyone was like you. To you 2008'ers out there who haven't really started yet I'd say 'shhhhhhhhhhhh before your look like an idiot this time next year' you have no idea how hard everything really is or how much pressure and stress there is throughout the entire year. You 2007'ers should be supporting a fellow classmate who has worked hard and is just disappointed and a little distressed. I'm sure all of you wish you could have done a little better so don't vent you anger on someone who is just trying to do something about it.
We should just all be proud and realise there is a way into everything if we really want it. Maybe petitions don't always work, but maybe you should look at someone like Erin Brockovich before you say that again. And maybe you should re-evaluate your words before insulting someone who can start something and raise their voice for a positive cause.

jacsjess

HSC
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Guys your being kinda harsh here. Maybe she doesn’t understand the scaling system but that's not surprising because it's really complex and I bet none you completely understand it yourselves. Everyone's allowed to feel like they deserved more. We work damn hard and have different talents. Mr ext. math and science guys could you get up and perform in front of strangers for your HSC? Accept the differences in people and realise you'd hate the world if everyone was like you. To you 2008'ers out there who haven't really started yet I'd say 'shhhhhhhhhhhh before your look like an idiot this time next year' you have no idea how hard everything really is or how much pressure and stress there is throughout the entire year. You 2007'ers should be supporting a fellow classmate who has worked hard and is just disappointed and a little distressed. I'm sure all of you wish you could have done a little better so don't vent you anger on someone who is just trying to do something about it.
We should just all be proud and realise there is a way into everything if we really want it. Maybe petitions don't always work, but maybe you should look at someone like Erin Brockovich before you say that again. And maybe you should re-evaluate your words before insulting someone who can start something and raise their voice for a positive cause.[/font]

GMK

HSC
Definately-there arent any people attacking the many other low UAI threads out there, even if people have gotten fairly emotional about how low their final rank was.

little albert

HSC
I cannot believe how insensitive or arrogant some of you can be. Yes the UAI is a ranking and some subjects are ranked quite low compared to others. Subjects such as music, visual arts, food tech are just as challenging and quite often more time consuming then some of the subjects that are ranked higher.

So if you can't say something nice don't say it at all. Remember treat others how you would like to be treated.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC

I am willing to make the bet that there is a linear relationship between people's HSC results and their understanding of scaling.

But hey... even if they did remove scaling... you'd just get a mass of people on 70-80 UAI etc.

Then universities would simply raise the entry requirements to reflect that.

You'd still lose out because you're being compared to your fellow student.

patty4848

HSC
Ajuddie said:
Hello fellow HSC goers,

LET’S DO IT!

I will admit, you have been scaled badly, however signing a petition is going to do absolutely nothing. There is no possible way that UAC or the BOS will get rid of the scaling system...

Here's a scenario...
Bob goes to a selective school where he is an average student. Selective schools have much higher standards that most other schools and therefore your marks are going to reflect that. Bob spends day in day out studying for his in-school assessment mark and receives 70% and is ranked in the middle of a school group who are all some of the best in the state.

Frank, however, goes to a crappy school filled with people who don't care, don't try, or are just pretty dumb. This schools tests will reflect the students intelligence, and therefore be easier (to a degree) than that of the selective school. Frank doesn't study and gets 80% and is ranked at the top of his grade

Now here's my question...If there were no scaling system, they would receive their raw marks for their in-school assessment, do you think this is fair???

The scaling system is in place to not only distinguish those at the top, but to also enable people to be compared to other people across the state, because that is what your UAI is...A RANK! If you are really not happy with your UAI, then do your HSC again, and get marks that are going to distinguish you...Your music mark was fantastic, however 70s for the other subjects will put you in the lower region of each subject across the state. If you got in the 80s however, your UAI will reflect this, hence being much higher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)