Hsc 2007 Results..not Happy?were You Treated Unfair? Read This And Sign My Petition! (1 Viewer)

dwatt

HSC
Re: Hsc 2007 Results..not Happy?were You Treated Unfair? Read This And Sign My Petiti

Music 1 is not a Category B subject. True, it scales poorly (worse than visual arts, in fact) - but if you do well enough it doesn't matter. I did it because I enjoy music, and still managed 99.25

warrenn

HSC
Re: Hsc 2007 Results..not Happy?were You Treated Unfair? Read This And Sign My Petiti

Ajuddie said:
Hello fellow HSC goers,

My name is Katey and I'm writing to you all as a means of finding if their is any expression of interest out there for all the people who did well and got marked well in their HSC but found their UAI was a completely different story.

I scored scores of 93 for Music, and the rest of my subjects including English, IPT, Legal studies were ABOVE 70 and yet my mark was a staggering 57.

I find this totally unfair, and I can imagine and feel how painful it must be for the other people just like me who are out there, who have performed well and got good marks on their HSC but have been dished a hand of cruelness because the board of studies SCALING SYSTEM only awards those right at the top.

How is this fair to all the people who had studied just as much, and do their best to be completely shattered and forced to have a hand of results which really doesn't reflect how much work they have done and earned.

I put this out to the students who have just got their HSC & UAI results, IF YOU FEEL LIKE I DO THAT YOU HAVE BEEN DISADVANTAGED AND WRONGLY TREATED BY THIS SCALING SYSTEM THAT IS IN PLACE, THEN JOIN ME IN STARTING A PETITION TO BE SENT TO THE HEAD OF THE BOARD OF STUDIES.

This system only advantages those who are at the top, while we little guys suffer from a system that is sub-basic and completely inaccurate and unfair.

Please, if you feel cheated, upset, angry at the way your marks have been calculated then please reply to this thread and I will try my best to get this petition off the ground and start making the necessary steps in having this dummy system abolished.

LET’S DO IT!

- Kate - (Student of yr 12 HSC 2007)
Its ok its only natural to sook after such dissapointment, i gaurantee you that if you did well you would fully support the scaling system, i have never seen a bigger sook just build a bridge and get over it.
Also instead of wasting your time creating a petition why dont you apply for TAFE.

ConjOB

HSC

warrenn said:
i have never seen a bigger sook just build a bridge and get over it.
That would be because you spent the majority of your life working oh so hard to get a high UAI so you can be smug on an internet forum... Was it worth it?

mzduxx2006

HSC
I got an internal school mark of 96 yet due to scaling i got 78 :(

i still got a UAI of 90.25 but i thoroughly believe my UAI would be higher if my biology mark was not so low.

SO YES I SIGN UR PETITION!

iEdd

HSC

mzduxx2006 said:
I got an internal school mark of 96 yet due to scaling i got 78 :(
That doesn't have anything to do with scaling. It just means that your school assessments were much easier than the HSC exam standard. Your mark of 96 was only used to determine your rank, which for argument's sake was 1st. They then give you the assessment mark as the exam mark of the person who came 1st in the exam. When that was added to your own exam mark and divided by two, you got 78.
If they just pasted in your mark of 96, the whole system would be incredibly unfair, as every school has different assessments, and hence a different difficulty in internal assessments.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Exphate said:
50% of your final mark comes from the HSC test. You must of got 60 in the actual exam. The scaling you are thinking of had no process in your mark.

So in what, 60 posts, we have 2 signatories to this hawt petition? Naice.
Petitioning could't save Firefly, so I doubt this one is going to be as successful. It doesn't help that the thread-started is ambiguous as to what they're trying to do: it's either A) a review of her UAI, B) a review of everyone's UAI or C) awarding bonus UAI points to everyone who didn't get top marks on the basis that they didn't get top marks.

TDjie

♥ Hello ♥
HSC
Katey, in a way I feel bad for you as even though some people try extremely hard in their HSC year, they are still positioned in a bad place. It's like a mountain that you continuously have to climb, and it feels arduous for everyone. We're all facing the same system here - sad to say that one good mark isn't always enough to get you where you want to be, even if you have achieved your personal bests. I truly hope that you don't give up on any options that you still have open. Don't worry about the UAI, it isn't a barrier to what you know you can really accomplish.

beentherdunthat

HSC

ConjOB said:
people with shit uai's are the most victimised people.
*#&@*#&&#!
WTF?

VICTIMISED?
Everyone's a number man. They're not guna discriminate against a NUMBER. How can anyone possibly be victimized???

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

beentherdunthat said:
*#&@*#&&#!
WTF?

VICTIMISED?
Everyone's a number man. They're not guna discriminate against a NUMBER. How can anyone possibly be victimized???
Because the universities won't make offers to them, hence being "vicitimised".

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

ConjOB said:
people with shit uai's are the most victimised people.
Yeah, they have it so much worse than rape victims.

ConjOB said:
p.s. a number from a mediated system dont mean your smart, no matter how hard you try to take comfort in that number they gave you.
*takes comfort in UAI*

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
Ajuddie said:
Hello fellow HSC goers,

My name is Katey and I'm writing to you all as a means of finding if their is any expression of interest out there for all the people who did well and got marked well in their HSC but found their UAI was a completely different story.

I scored scores of 93 for Music, and the rest of my subjects including English, IPT, Legal studies were ABOVE 70 and yet my mark was a staggering 57.

I find this totally unfair, and I can imagine and feel how painful it must be for the other people just like me who are out there, who have performed well and got good marks on their HSC but have been dished a hand of cruelness because the board of studies SCALING SYSTEM only awards those right at the top.

How is this fair to all the people who had studied just as much, and do their best to be completely shattered and forced to have a hand of results which really doesn't reflect how much work they have done and earned.

I put this out to the students who have just got their HSC & UAI results, IF YOU FEEL LIKE I DO THAT YOU HAVE BEEN DISADVANTAGED AND WRONGLY TREATED BY THIS SCALING SYSTEM THAT IS IN PLACE, THEN JOIN ME IN STARTING A PETITION TO BE SENT TO THE HEAD OF THE BOARD OF STUDIES.

This system only advantages those who are at the top, while we little guys suffer from a system that is sub-basic and completely inaccurate and unfair.

Please, if you feel cheated, upset, angry at the way your marks have been calculated then please reply to this thread and I will try my best to get this petition off the ground and start making the necessary steps in having this dummy system abolished.

LET’S DO IT!

- Kate - (Student of yr 12 HSC 2007)
As harsh as this sounds, a mark "well above" 70 for some of the subjects you do is not good enough for a high UAI, especially in IPT. And whilst your marks are good, they are not brilliant and would only place you as around average in your course. Since UAI is a rank, it only follows that you'll get a high UAI (therefore rank) if you're amongst the top of the students across the whole state across every subject. Just as it is possible for some people with all band 5's to get a UAI in the 90s, it is also possible the other way around.

Yes, sometimes it seems unfair that people who do subjects such as Food Tech get scaled down as opposed to Physics, but that's just the way it is. You certainly wouldn't expect a 90 in Physics to mean the same thing as it does in IPT or VA simply because Physics is harder than the other two.

I'm not saying that you're dumb or whatever, but just that UAI is a rank and not an average of your marks. If your marks are average across the whole board, then it follows that you will rank at an average position compared to the state. A UAI of 57 only means that you're "better" than 57% of the state which is about average and this can be seen in your marks.

A petition will do nothing. If they change the whole scaling system (such as scrapping it), then it would only disadvantage the students who chose "harder" subjects like science and 4u maths/english and then they'll be the ones saying that it's not fair. Although no system is truly fair, UAC's scaling thing is about as close as they're gonna get.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
the nsw hsc system is incredibly fair. i get the feeling you havent' done your research to find out how exactly the system works. until you do then your petition is baseless.

poppop

HSC
N/A

Scaling only takes effect when you perform average or worse... and since you got in the 70s for all your subjects except for music, (band 4/70s is an average or below average band depending on the subject) you would be looking at a below average uai (I hear an average uai is 60)
Basically, to get a high uai you have to outperform each other and stay well above the average to be ranked high, (since uai is a rank, not a mark)
This would of been the case in the past years, not just this year. Try the SAM calculator.

As for certain subjects scaling low in comparison to.. let's say Maths ext 2, if that is your talent and you know you are excellent at it, it shouldn't hurt you. I still remember reading in SMH about 2 years ago of an interview with a girl who scored 100 uai and her advices/tips about performing well was simply embracing your talent to compete with the state. She even studied DANCE 2 units, and still managed to get a uai of 100, and not a single maths/sciences or the conventionally 'high scaling' subjects except for english extensions.

But, I'm sorry to hear your concerns. If music is your passion, you should still try out for the Usyd's B Music as it's a combination of uai + audition, and with your band 6 talent in music, you may have a chance. :) Good luck.

Last edited:

ConjOB

HSC

beentherdunthat said:
*#&@*#&&#!
WTF?

VICTIMISED?
All book smarts eh? Surely someone with your brains could figure that one...

hah.

beentherdunthat

HSC
^ I'm not book smart honey. You should get your facts straight.

I think the whole testing scheme is a little off. I for one done practically nothing the whole year and ended up with 98.4- But thats what assesments r for and thats what pulled me down.

I feel sorry for those who were genuinely disadvantaged. If you didn't study coz you weren't bothered, then you've only got yourself to blame. There's ppl in this world with worse conditions.

And for your information, with the subjects I was doing, book smart wouldn't get you anywhere.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
beentherdunthat said:
^ I'm not book smart honey. You should get your facts straight.

I for one done practically nothing the whole year and ended up with 98.4

hahah paradox

champo14

HSC
I must add that the OP is probably referring to Music 1, which we all know scales like a paper bag full of creamed corn.

~kiki

HSC
actually, scaling isn't your problem. My friend did all low scaling subjects except for english advanced and received a uai of 98.35. These subjects included german beginners, visual arts, textiles and design and biology. I had very similar subjects to her and received over 95. Unfortunately, the HSC is very competitive and everyone works their arses off. You just have to cross your fingers that you're working that little bit harder. What IS unfortunate is that a uai of 65 is indicative of average results. This means a hell of alot of people receive a UAI of 65, for what are, in actual fact, perfectly respectable results.

* also, I think its unfortunate that many non-selective schools don't up the standard of their assessments so that their students get a more realistic picture of where they stand within the state. Its very easy to get lulled into a false sense of security. I don't quite understand what the schools logic is. Why not have some students feeling a little dissapointed throughout the year and pushing themselves a little harder, then have them feeling very secure and then reaching the exams and competing against students who have been working incredibly hard throughout the year, just to stay afloat. Ok, so it means you are a little more stressed throughout the year, but at least you get a nice surprise when your uai comes around.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)