• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2013 MX2 Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Re: HSC 2014 4U Marathon

Yep

Alternatively just use

and just a bit more.
Yep

Alternatively just use

and just a bit more.
Another method (using triangle inequality):
Use triangle inequality on the triangle with sides a, b, c and re-arranging them and subbing it into A results in:

Now to prove that

then let x = a, b, c and y = b, c, a, add up all 3 inequalities to get

which is greater or equal to ab (because since a, b, c are positive then bc and ca are also positive)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

These aren't that hard, but there are really intuitive solutions to them which I think are nice.

1) For integers show that has atleast one solution pair for all

Where

2) Prove that there are no solutions to the above problem such that

seanieg89

HSC

These aren't that hard, but there are really intuitive solutions to them which I think are nice.

1) For integers show that has atleast one solution pair for all

Where

2) Prove that there are no solutions to the above problem such that

RealiseNothing

HSC

Yep your second solution was the same as mine, I'll post up my solution for the first though (imo it's a cool method).

These questions were just meant to take up some time before I thought of anything better, thanks for ruining that basically straight away lol.

seanieg89

HSC

Yep your second solution was the same as mine, I'll post up my solution for the first though (imo it's a cool method).

These questions were just meant to take up some time before I thought of anything better, thanks for ruining that basically straight away lol.
Haha I know, I normally don't answer these for a while so other people have a chance. Felt like spoiling the fun today though.

Am interested to see your first solution, did you do it nonconstructively or something?

RealiseNothing

HSC

A square number can be represented visually by a square, whilst a triangular number can be represented visually by a triangle. Any square can be broken into two triangles, and thus there will always be a solution to the equation:

seanieg89

HSC

A square number can be represented visually by a square, whilst a triangular number can be represented visually by a triangle. Any square can be broken into two triangles, and thus there will always be a solution to the equation:

Oh right cool, yeah those triangles are exactly the ones in my construction. Just numbers vs a picture.

RealiseNothing

HSC

Oh right cool, yeah those triangles are exactly the ones in my construction. Just numbers vs a picture.
Yep I think it's nice to see how an equation like that can easily be done visually. I've been trying to make a harder question which uses a similar method (constructing a visual of a certain type of number - square/triangular numbers for example) which turns out to be a lot easier than any algebraic method. No luck yet though.

seanieg89

HSC

I can't really imagine such a thing existing, but I might well be wrong of course. I guess "easier" is pretty subjective.

dunjaaa

HSC

Major arc on top half of the real axis, with open circles at -1+0i and 1+0i. Cartesian equation of locus: x^2 + (y-1)^2 = 2 for y>0

seanieg89

HSC

Alternatively:

You would of course have to check the b=0 case separately, but it is obvious this won't give us any issues thanks to symmetry.

Regardless, here is a third way :p.

By Cauchy-Schwartz twice:

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

HSC

Consider a regular 8x8 chessboard. 8 knights are placed on the chessboard, 4 at each end as such:

_ _ K K K K _ _

So in the middle of the very top and very bottom rows is 4 knights.

If all knights move simultaneously, prove whether or not it is possible for either of the diagonals of the chessboard to be completely filled by all 8 knights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)