HSC 2013 MX2 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanieg89

HSC
Re: HSC 2013 4U Marathon

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

This is my attempt:

=============

I don't think my proof is absolutely correct though.

Last edited:

Rezen

HSC

This is my attempt:

I didn't read the rest but i can already tell your confused. Unsurprising since this question is definitely out of the scope of the hsc. (note that you said f'(a)=0, which is note true in general).

Here's a further hint:

EDIT: So I read the second step and the idea of adding and subtracting the same term was good and is a pretty standard technique in analysis. However, it still has some subtle errors. Firstly, while this is mostly a superficial error, in your assumption your said f is only k times differentiable, this condition is too strong and infact contradicts what your trying to prove. The assumption should be f is k times differentiable. Secondly, there is a more subtle error and I leave it as an exercise to find it. but note that as it stands, if your n=k+1 step was correct then this would imply that any function that is differentiable once would be differentiable to all orders. (While this is obviously wrong to me, I'm unsure if a HSC student would have run across a counter example since this tends to be true for most functions encountered at a hsc level.)

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

I didn't read the rest but i can already tell your confused. Unsurprising since this question is definitely out of the scope of the hsc. (note that you said f'(a)=0, which is note true in general).

Here's a further hint:

EDIT: So I read the second step and the idea of adding and subtracting the same term was good and is a pretty standard technique in analysis. However, it still has some subtle errors. Firstly, while this is mostly a superficial error, in your assumption your said f is only k times differentiable, this condition is too strong and infact contradicts what your trying to prove. The assumption should be f is k times differentiable. Secondly, there is a more subtle error and I leave it as an exercise to find it. but note that as it stands, if your n=k+1 step was correct then this would imply that any function that is differentiable once would be differentiable to all orders. (While this is obviously wrong to me, I'm unsure if a HSC student would have run across a counter example since this tends to be true for most functions encountered at a hsc level.)
Ah I see there, well you just posted the solution for Step 1, if I get rid of the strength of the assumption and loosen it up is it correct?

EDIT: And I am guessing that:

??

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

==========

Is latex broken or something?

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC

Ah I see there, well you just posted the solution for Step 1, if I get rid of the strength of the assumption and loosen it up is it correct?

??
Missing a factor of k!. Perhaps I should have given the form of the polynomial in my question but anyway, I think you should be able to prove the result if you know what the poly is.

Rezen

HSC

??
Google taylor polynomials.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Done it!

But solution too horrendous to type out in LaTeX.
Just the main points will do, and like a one sentence explanation between each 'major' line of working (i.e. skip the non important algebra)

deswa1

HSC

Just the main points will do, and like a one sentence explanation between each 'major' line of working (i.e. skip the non important algebra)
I haven't done it but iirc, this was a question in a Grammar paper a while ago and the easiest way to do it was to take logs of both sides and then differentiate implicitly.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

Basically using implicit differentiation.

Steps:

1. - differentiate both sides wrt x

2. - expand as required & simplify

3. - express dy/dx as approp fraction

4. - multiply numerator and denominator of said fraction by: xy(x+y)

5. - replace (x+y)n with xmyn

6. - simplify, then factorise and simplify further

7. - voila

Using logs lots easier. See below.

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

Using logs, as suggested by deswa1, is heaps easier:

ln(LHS) = ln(RHS)

mlnx + nlny = (m+n)ln(x+y)

.: m/x + n/y . dy/dx = (m+n)/(x+y) .(1+dy/dx)

.: ((m+n)/(x+y) - n/y) . dy/dx = m/x - (m+n)/(x+y)

.: dy/dx = []/[] = [m(x+y)-(m+n)x]/[(m+n)y - n(x+y)] . y/x = y/x

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Note, replace the 1 with a. The image in the graph sets a=1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)