HSC 2015 Maths Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Re: HSC 2015 2U Marathon

Might be harder than last year, but I doubt too hard.
that is still a bad omen haha

nah, but 2u maths isn't too bad if you did your practice (it's mostly memorising methods and applying accordingly)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

that is still a bad omen haha

nah, but 2u maths isn't too bad if you did your practice (it's mostly memorising methods and applying accordingly)
Well it shouldn't be easier than last year because last year's 2U was on the easier side wasn't it?

milkytea99

HSC

only trolling lmfao

but srsly, the paper shouldn't be too bad - provided that you studied diligently

:p
I hope so haha because I actually work harder in maths than eco lol. I was too complacent for eco and was fked up by it yesterday

rand_althor

HSC

How do I find the area of the shaded region?
Split it into two areas from x=0 to x=1 (point of intersection), and x=1 to x=2. The first part is the area under 4x-x2, while the second part is the area under 4-x2:

If you evaluate , you get 0.

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC

Split it into two areas, one per function:

If you find , the area you are finding is
I don't understand why you add them and use 1, instead of 2.

Drsoccerball

HSC

I don't understand why you add them and use 1, instead of 2.
Its because the area under the graph are both equal to each other. You could use 2 but would you want to integrate with a negative domain ?
EDIT: you can use it doesnt matter :p

Flop21

HSC

Its because the area under the graph are both equal to each other. You could use 2 but would you want to integrate with a negative domain ?
EDIT: you can use it doesnt matter :p
Oh I just got it! Thanks all.

Another question tho:

Why can't I use the area of the triangle under the line to minus from the area under the curve???

Say instead of doing f(parabola) - f(line), I do f(parabola) - 1/2ab (triangle area). But I get the wrong answer doing the latter.

rand_althor

HSC

Why can't I use the area of the triangle under the line to minus from the area under the curve???

Say instead of doing f(parabola) - f(line), I do f(parabola) - 1/2ab (triangle area). But I get the wrong answer doing the latter.
If you're using O, A, and (4,0) to make your triangle, it is not a triangle as a side would be curved - the one from A to (4,0).

Flop21

HSC

If you're using O, A, and (4,0) to make your triangle, it is not a triangle as a side would be curved - the one from A to (4,0).
I meant like this:

Using integration, from 3 to 0, f(parabola) - area of triangle. Shouldn't this work?

kawaiipotato

HSC

I meant like this:

Using integration, from 3 to 0, f(parabola) - area of triangle. Shouldn't this work?
It will work (but the bounds are 0 to 3 or else it'll give a negative for the integral)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Oh I just got it! Thanks all.

Another question tho:

Say instead of doing f(parabola) - f(line), I do f(parabola) - 1/2ab (triangle area).
These two methods are actually exactly the same. Integrating that line over the right bounds just gives us that triangle's area. If you're getting a wrong answer doing the latter, you might have made a silly mistake somewhere.

nisak

HSC

I meant like this:

you're making it too complicated with the triangle, there is no need..
its just the integration of the parabola minus the straight line from 0 to the x-coordinate of A

Mr_Kap

HSC

This is one of the 8 marks i got wrong in the 2013 paper: Why is answer D not B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)