HSC 2015 MX1 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: HSC 2015 3U Marathon

Midpoint Rule is not in the syllabus.
Couldn't the HSC technically ask it if they defined it?

E.g. they could give a diagram and say what it is.

Or they could just say "approximations are taken by using rectangles at the midpoints of sub-intervals" (with diagram etc.), in which case it's just using a Riemann Sum (i.e. definition of the definite integral), which is in the syllabus (though the term "Riemann Sum" is not used I think, and it's not rigorously defined; but the concept of using rectangles to approximate definite integrals is mentioned in the syllabus, and a limiting value as the no. of rectangles is increased is also a concept present I think).

It's not an overly hard question anyway, and is easily doable by 3U students.

photastic

HSC

Couldn't the HSC technically ask it if they defined it?

E.g. they could give a diagram and say what it is.

Or they could just say "approximations are taken by using rectangles at the midpoints of sub-intervals" (with diagram etc.), in which case it's just using a Riemann Sum (i.e. definition of the definite integral), which is in the syllabus (though the term "Riemann Sum" is not used I think, and it's not rigorously defined; but the concept of using rectangles to approximate definite integrals is mentioned in the syllabus, and a limiting value as the no. of rectangles is increased is also a concept present I think).

It's not an overly hard question anyway, and is easily doable by 3U students.
I know but i doubt they will ever do that.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

I didn't quite understand how they went from the 2nd step to the 3rd step in this Binomial expansion:

I then looked to expand it using the binomial expansion:

In my solutions they jumped to the summation series notation. But from my previous step , is my expansion right? (in the first line)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Can someone do this I still can't do it:

-------

What is important to grasp here is what was my motivation for starting from k(k+2) < (k+1)^2

It wasn't something coming from thin air, all I did was ask:

"ok, I need to get from the assumption, to the inductive step inequality, how can I transform the assumption inequality to get the lower bound of the assumption"

well, I got this:

Then by doing this, I ask myself the question

"Now, I need to ask, is this new upper bound, lower than the upper bound of the inductive step, if so, then the problem is complete" (*)

That is, I then need to ask whether:

is true, and it turns out it is with a bit of simplification of powers.

---------

(Note, this 'method' is simply a heuristic for problem solving, for SOME problems, asking the question (*) is not always helpful)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)