HSC 2015 MX2 Integration Marathon (archive) (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Re: MX2 2015 Integration Marathon

a) Differentiate

b) Hence or otherwise, solve
If you people needed a hint, break up the numerator (Using your intuition, not just willy-nilly!) and make a substitution, or manipulate the form.

I am not entirely sure how your new question is solved though. But according to Wolfram, there is no solution for it.
Computer Algebra Systems don't always find the elementary expression of an integrand, as there are integrals I know of which Wolfram Alpha cannot solve, but humans can. This is my go to place for these integrals. (P.S. I have quite a few left which I will continue to post as we progress)

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

If you people needed a hint, break up the numerator (Using your intuition, not just willy-nilly!) and make a substitution, or manipulate the form.

Computer Algebra Systems don't always find the elementary expression of an integrand, as there are integrals I know of which Wolfram Alpha cannot solve, but humans can. This is my go to place for these integrals. (P.S. I have quite a few left which I will continue to post as we progress)
Did that earlier and got 1+sqrt(1+x)/sqrt(1-x)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Did that earlier and got 1+sqrt(1+x)/sqrt(1-x)
Are you certain a minor mistake doesn't exist? By differentiating my answer and also looking at my notes, the integral can certainly be evaluated.

Ekman

HSC

Im not sure where the substitution comes from but this is what I did:

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

My first line was horrible. Pardon me lol

Last edited:

Ekman

HSC

Hey Paradoxica, here are a few integrals for your integration bank:

I have a feeling you will be able to solve them :)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Hey Paradoxica, here are a few integrals for your integration bank:

I have a feeling you will be able to solve them :)
Ahahahaha.... We both know what to do here it seems.
Manipulate both until you can make the substitution Then for both integrals, make the appropriate trigonometric substitutions. For the second one, it can be split so the inverse secant is acquired immediately, and the other part of the integral is handled by trigonometry.

As a bonus fact, most Computer Algebra Systems fail to evaluate most of the known "hard" integrals that are handled by symmetric polynomial substitutions.

Last edited:

psyc1011

#truth
HSC

How do people know to substitute something like:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

How do people know to substitute something like:

A Combination of Intuition, Experience, Hindsight and Luck. Symbolic Integration is an Art, not a Science. Numerical Integration is a Science. Specifically a Computer Science. Okay I'll stop Misusing Definitions now.

psyc1011

#truth
HSC

A Combination of Intuition, Experience, Hindsight and Luck. Symbolic Integration is an Art, not a Science. Numerical Integration is a Science. Specifically a Computer Science. Okay I'll stop Misusing Definitions now.
I see the consequence of it (Ekman's soln) after some manipulation of the integrand but I've seen people use it straight away. I guess they've completed the manipulation mentally..

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC

Fairly easy goer here.
Solve:
Finally a question which isn't completely nuts
Although I do quite enjoy reading Ekman's and Paradoxica's solutions to some of their harder integrals, I admit.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

I see the consequence of it (Ekman's soln) after some manipulation of the integrand but I've seen people use it straight away. I guess they've completed the manipulation mentally..
With enough practise, you learn to be able to do that in your head. It's like mental arithmetic, only vastly more impressive, because there are plenty of things that can go wrong, and no methodical process for arbitrary symbolic integration.

psyc1011

#truth
HSC

With enough practise, you learn to be able to do that in your head. It's like mental arithmetic, only vastly more impressive, because there are plenty of things that can go wrong, and no methodical process for arbitrary symbolic integration.
Yeah, the mathematical intuition required to see that division is quite spectacular!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)