HSC 2015 MX2 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: HSC 2015 4U Marathon

Isn't this a 60s or 70s HSC question?
Yes, I remember it from a past HSC from those times, but can't remember the exact year, but would surely be between 1960s to 1980.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Isn't this a 60s or 70s HSC question?
Yes, I remember it from a past HSC from those times, but can't remember the exact year, but would surely be between 1960s to 1980.
It also features in the Extension section of the projectile motion chapter in of the 3 unit Cambridge book, if I recall correctly.

Drsoccerball

HSC

Okay i made this question lets see how bad it turns out:

Last edited:

glittergal96

HSC

I changed the question to even numbers since its not true for odd. Also you could've just subbed in negative pi :p
What I wrote is 100% true, the even partial sums are upper bounds and the odd partial sums are lower bounds. Also, if you only proved the claim about upper bounds this alone would not establish convergence to the sine function.

And because of the way I set it up, I only proved these bounds for non-negative x (of course the flipped bounds hold for negative x as both sin and the polynomials involved are odd), this is why I substituted a positive number in.

HSC

volume.jpg

hey can someone do part b for me? im not quite sure how to do part b. thanks

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Consider a small slice of the volume desired. Approximate this volume by taking one of the cross-sectional planes of the volume at some value of , and extending the section out by some value of , which we shall call . Then this volume will approximate a small slice of the volume.

The base of this has a length that is dependent upon the x-co-ordinates corresponding with the value of we chose. Solving for , we get .

Because we want the length of the base, we take the positive value and double it. Then the length of the base is simply

The shape of the cross-sectional slice is similar to the shape from a). Scaling down this shape allows us to find the area of the cross section. We express the area of the slice as a percentage of the original shape in a). This percentage is found by dividing the cross-sectional base value by the base value of the original shape. So the percentage is

The area of the slice is then the percentage times the original area, i.e.

We now have the area of the slice, and hence, the volume of the slice is
Summing this from to will approximate the entire volume. However, observe that the solid is symmetrical along the x-axis. This means we only have to double the volume of half the solid, i.e, we can sum from to instead.

since is constant.

As we make smaller and smaller, the volume approximates the true volume of the solid. In the limit, it becomes equal to the true volume (Rigorous justification beyond High School level :p).

i.e. ignoring the outside constant for now, we have

This integral can now be evaluated to obtain the volume, which matches the given answer exactly.

HSC

A 3 metre string AB has a mass of 5kg attached at point B. The string is rotated in a horizontal circle about A and breaks as soon as it exceeds a speed of rotation of 45 revolutions per minute. Find the maximum possible tension in the string.

Answer: T=135pi/4 N.
THANKS

Drsoccerball

HSC

A 3 metre string AB has a mass of 5kg attached at point B. The string is rotated in a horizontal circle about A and breaks as soon as it exceeds a speed of rotation of 45 revolutions per minute. Find the maximum possible tension in the string.

Answer: T=135pi/4 N.
THANKS
Yes! can someone do this I forgot how to do these type of questions :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)