• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2016 MX2 Integration Marathon (archive) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Re: MX2 2016 Integration Marathon

See, I already knew this conceptually in my head, but no labels are ever placed on my ideas unless they are already labelled in the external world.

Of course, you being you refused to explicitly state anything, so even if I already had that knowledge in mind it was completely useless to me without any references.

New day, new pointer created.
This is why seanieg89 said he was sure you'd seen them before.

seanieg89

HSC

Of course, you being you refused to explicitly state anything, so even if I already had that knowledge in mind it was completely useless to me without any references.
Of course. I try to emphasise creativity with syllabus knowledge over recollection of previously known facts from outside syllabus when I write problems. I think this is a far more important thing for a high schooler to develop (it also makes questions fairer. the same principle is generally used in writing olympiad problems, where problems are generally designed so that niche knowledge does not provide an significant advantage such as a major shortcut for a student over an equally skilled student without this niche knowledge). And of course if I am too explicit that makes things googleable / stack exchangeable.

The relevance of these Taylor estimates should not be surprising, the quantity we are looking at is (x-sin(x))/(x*sin(x)). In order to analyse what this function and its derivative do at the origin (a potential place of bad behaviour), we need some way of comparing trigonometric functions with polynomial ones.

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC

It was in a past HSC paper back in like 2010 lmao.
ah yes 2010 question 8 was a 15 mark integration question?

Also attempt anyone except paradoxica his insight is to good for such a crap question:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

ah yes 2010 question 8 was a 15 mark integration question?

Also attempt anyone except paradoxica his insight is to good for such a crap question:

RealiseNothing was referring to what leehuan was saying was beyond MX2 scope, namely the Taylor polynomial bounds for sin / cos etc. So he was saying that this was in a past HSC (getting you to prove those inequalities). The 2010 HSC Integration Question 8 was unrelated to this if I recall correctly.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

This is why seanieg89 said he was sure you'd seen them before.
furthermore, the only inequality I could conjure up was the inequality of sinx and cosx in their definite integrals.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC

Bingo :).

A classic example of how good IBP is for bounding things that oscillate fast.

P.s. with your discussion of g'(0), you have actually only found the limit of g'(x) as x->0, you have not established differentiability of g at the origin, nor have you shown that g' is continuous there.

This is not a major omission though, the same Taylor inequalities let us analyse (g(x)-g(0))/x=g(x)/x as x->0 which will be 1/6 as we need for continuity.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

seanieg89

HSC

Oh lol that was actually my HSC year.

I remember seeing it earlier than that even, I swear something like it is in the Cambridge book but I don't have that on me and it's not really important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)