HSC Advanced English Paper 2 Thoughts (1 Viewer)

MrGresh

HSC
Yes but I'm pretty sure that ur atar uses the HSC mark which is both aligned and moderated. If my school sucks my 81 or 80 could get put down to a 79 or something which would be very annoying.
So your final exam mark is made up from two things:

(1) EXAM MARK which gets ALIGNED. This is a constant process that occurs no matter what school you go to or what mark you get. It basically involves adding (or, more rarely, subtracting) a constant onto your score to adjust for how hard that specific year's exam was.

(2) ASSESSMENT MARK which gets MODERATED. This is a variable process which uses the exam mark to make sure that the marks your school submitted for you are fair. It involved moving individual students' marks up and down based on how their school performed in the external exams.

Together, these two things form your FINAL HSC MARK, which gets sent to UAC to be scaled and turned into your 500 aggregate.

The process is super complicated so i could be completely wrong, but from the research I have done i think it's accurate.

MrGresh

HSC

(1) EXAM MARK which gets ALIGNED. This is a constant process that occurs no matter what school you go to or what mark you get. It basically involves adding (or, more rarely, subtracting) a constant onto your score to adjust for how hard that specific year's exam was.

(2) ASSESSMENT MARK which gets MODERATED. This is a variable process which uses the exam mark to make sure that the marks your school submitted for you are fair. It involved moving individual students' marks up and down based on how their school performed in the external exams.

Together, these two things form your FINAL HSC MARK, which gets sent to UAC to be scaled and turned into your 500 aggregate.

The process is super complicated so i could be completely wrong, but from the research I have done i think it's accurate.
Although I'd just like to point out that stressing about all this is not productive atm. Rest up this arvo and lets keep pushing... not long now and we will be done with the HSC forever :)

beetree1

HSC

Where did you get this information from? I darn hope its accurate HAHA

shashysha

HSC
Although I'd just like to point out that stressing about all this is not productive atm. Rest up this arvo and lets keep pushing... not long now and we will be done with the HSC forever :)
facts, stopped thinking about english as soon as exam finished, whats done is done

MrGresh

HSC
Where did you get this information from? I darn hope its accurate HAHA
Haha, no place in particular but some great resources are...

Eddie Woo's Scaling / Moderation / Alignment Bonanza

Matrix's Article

UAC's Site (which details how scaling works)

rawmarks database (shows how alignment has changed over the years and gives a ballpark figure)

If any NESA/UAC geek knows more, I'd love to understand this process more so please do correct me!

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC

Ye I still think this opens me to get screwed by school rank tho because my english rank isn't 1. For e.g if most ppl in my school do bad in the HSC then the scaling system will think my school sucks and because my rank is low in english it will think I'm a bad student whose internals are inflated. Even with good externals I think that I would get some sort of negative calculation on my hsc mark. In comparison in math and eco i'm coming 1st and my external is 100% dependent on me AFAIK with no negatives on my mark bcuz of my school.

You're right tho that it's not very important rn

MrGresh

HSC
Ye I still think this opens me to get screwed by school rank tho because my english rank isn't 1. For e.g if most ppl in my school do bad in the HSC then the scaling system will think my school sucks and because my rank is low in english it will think I'm a bad student whose internals are inflated. Even with good externals I think that I would get some sort of negative calculation on my hsc mark. In comparison in math and eco i'm coming 1st and my external is 100% dependent on me AFAIK with no negatives on my mark bcuz of my school.

You're right tho that it's not very important rn
Yeah look, who knows. It's up to the ATAR gods now ;)

thatmailman

HSC

yeh this is 100% accurate. had to write a 3000+ word report on the processes of aligning, moderating, scaling along with a worked example —with references to the research paper literally written by the mathematicians who devised the processes — for my school because they were adamant it worked differently (they thought internals determined how your externals are scaled LMAO). anyway its all correct. rawmarks website details the examination mark which is aligned from the raw mark

idkkdi

HSC
Haha, no place in particular but some great resources are...

Eddie Woo's Scaling / Moderation / Alignment Bonanza

Matrix's Article

UAC's Site (which details how scaling works)

rawmarks database (shows how alignment has changed over the years and gives a ballpark figure)

If any NESA/UAC geek knows more, I'd love to understand this process more so please do correct me!
Pretty sure UAC scales straight from your raw marks and that UAC never receives your HSC marks.

i.e. raw marks go to NESA and UAC. NESA produces your individual subject scores and UAC produces your atar. The two are independent of each other.

MrGresh

HSC
Pretty sure UAC scales straight from your raw marks and that UAC never receives your HSC marks.

i.e. raw marks go to NESA and UAC. NESA produces your individual subject scores and UAC produces your atar. The two are independent of each other.
Oh ok, yeah that makes sense. I always wondered about that. Thanks!!

idkkdi

HSC
Bro people in my class thought a discursive piece was also an imaginative piece was...
discursive when written in a certain way is basically imaginative with more internal dialogue to be fair.

forstudyingg

HSC
N/A
omgg, i just got told that mod A was an ‘to what extent’ question, meaning we did not have to agree with the statement?? please tell me i’m not the only one that agreed with that statement.. I SPENT MY READING TIME TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY THEY WANTED ME TO BC IT WAS HARD TO ARGUE FOR IT :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)