• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC and Family Pressure/Expectations (2 Viewers)

Do u have family expectations to live up to

• Yes (from who in family in particular)

Votes: 115 57.5%
  • No (god i hate u lol jkz lucky people)

Votes: 85 42.5%

• Total voters

lucidassembly

HSC
Re: How many people are in the situation of having to live up to famil expectations

Elder sibling got 97.75, so that puts a little pressure on me lol. Other than that, it mainly comes from teachers, friends and myself. I don't personally want to disappoint my family, but they've been pretty great thankfully :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Re: How many people are in the situation of having to live up to famil expectations

friction said:
They only go in 0.05 intervals so nice BS story.
then howcome i hear of ppl getting 99.99? is that bullshit as well.... cuz i swear ive heard it too many times...

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC

Yepo, it goes from 99.95 to 100

I'm the family disappointment because I am good at school and I don't like football...lol

trento654

HSC

i'm a deadshit in my family

they no it i know it

no expectations

cept they no and i know i'm not and don't really wanna go 2 uni next yr anyway

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

aw... im sure they are proud of you.

I was like mum dad, i want to go to uni *omg anna! thats great, fanastic we are so proud blah blah blah*

To study ancient history *...... ...... ....... are you sure?*

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC

Im the youngest in my family (including my cousins), and my brother got a UAI of 84, so I dont really feel pressured to live up to his expectations. Although one of my cousins got 97.95 and two of my second cousins got 99.85 and 99.95. That said, two of my other cousins got 70.05 and 64.xx

Although my parents want me to get a UAI of 99+ thats only because thats what I need to get into my first preference (and they want me to get into what I want to get into). If it wasnt for that they wouldnt care

Last edited:

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC

-may-cat- said:
then howcome i hear of ppl getting 99.99? is that bullshit as well.... cuz i swear ive heard it too many times...
Yeah...also impossible

Most of those stories are like "i know someone who knows someone who got 99.99", so its pretty easy to see how its bs and completly exagerrated

Epistemophobia

Serenity Painted Death
HSC

I'm too cool for family.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A

So that was information based from my Fathers word of mouth (Who isn't the most reliable source). Reaffirm with the uai of 99.85 from a more reliable source.

mattchis

HSC

sonyaleeisapixi said:
I'm the eldest child, eldest grandaughter.
First one to do the HSC
I set the bar.

But no real pressure at all. As long as I do my best, they'll be proud.

saaaaaaaaame

HSC

Asian parents, 99.95 or bust.

Aim: 80 :rolleyes:

JamesTockuss

HSC

midifile said:
Yeah...also impossible

Most of those stories are like "i know someone who knows someone who got 99.99", so its pretty easy to see how its bs and completly exagerrated
You would think that the BOS would just have a heart and round it up

my1stpost

HSC

kevinx2 said:
Asian parents, 99.95 or bust.

Aim: 80 :rolleyes:
I'm asian and parents expect maximum 80 lol :shy:

Cerry

HSC

My brother only got in the 60s, and even if I totally bomb out and don't get higher than him, he'll be the only one giving me crap, because I've actually put in work (I think he studied about 3 hours in the whole year...), which my parents are pretty happy about. As long as I get into the course I want, mum and dad are going to be pretty happy, although I think dad's still got his heart set on me getting a UAI in the 90s. After being yelled at by both me and mum, he now has the sense to keep his mouth shut, though.

Shezz90

HSC

my bro got 97.25 , lols ii got expectations to live upto , cept my parents know ii wont get that high , anything above 80 & they`ll be happy =D

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC

my parents just kind of ASSUME that ill do good. its not like "omg you must study 24/7" instead "your gonna get above 95 for sure no problem"

attempting to prepare them for disappointment.

vmoore

HSC

the only pressure is that i have put on myself.
I am going all out on the hsc to satisfy my own goals and ambitions, noone elses

HSC

i have a lot of pressure, but no one tells me that, but you know how you just know? its because ive gotten dux of every year of my schooling life (i swear everyone else is just stupid, no effort required), but this year i either a) had a brain tumour b) got lazy c) stopped caring. so im not going as well as everyone expects me to. and now im just hoping i get a 74 to get into an arts course, so i can switch courses later... argh. cant wait til the whole family and entire world are like, ...shit, you didnt get dux? will be real fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)