Hsc At Tafe? (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
dethroned said:
this is prob the last question that i'll ask.

lets say i:
A. finish year 11+12 and do my hsc at school
or
B. do those stuff at TAFE.

which one would have the better advantage?
would universities prefer option A more?
The universities don't care either way. So long as you meet their standards you are in.

n2o_lonewolf74

HSC
roseyreader said:
I have just completed the Tertiary Preparation Certificate at Newcastle TAFE, and as far as I am concerned anyone looking at the HSC in any education facility would be much better off doing this course as it lifted my UAI from 45 to approx. 85!
kami, does this really happen ?
i currently have a uai of below 45 from my HSC in 05

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
n2o_lonewolf74 said:
kami, does this really happen ?
i currently have a uai of below 45 from my HSC in 05
The TPC is a certificate that sends your results to be scaled and you recieve a TES in place of a UAI. The main reason people may have extremely different achievement levels between TPC and HSC is that testing of skills is done through portfolios and submitted works as opposed to end of year final exams. So TPC may be better for you if you are truly unsuited to exams but excel instead in major works. However, cut-offs for TPC applicants are usually higher by a miniscule amount, the TPC also costs more than the HSC. I do think also that the TPC prepares you better for uni though. Perhaps two examples will serve to illustrate things properly:

One girl at the Wollongong campus was rejected by her school to even enter year 11 as her marks were too poor, she undertook the TPC in the year her friends were doing year 11, finished it and is now doing Law apparently while her friends are in year 12 studying for HSC. This girl obviously was extremely suited to the format of learning in the TPC.

Another person had already completed the HSC, and decided their low results were due to poor exam ability and went for the TPC. They poured their everything into the course and managed to get a TES lower than their original UAI and had wasted a year. He obviously was not well suited to the TPC and would have been better off repeating the HSC.

Ken Avalon

HSC
Really important question. I know Ultimo is holding its enrollment day tomorrow, but I have no idea what time and what building etc. Thanks in advance for any help.

slonik

HSC
hey everybody, my first post. i just dropped out of year 11 and im wondering when enrolment starts for the 2007 HSC at Granville and how i go about applying?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
slonik said:
hey everybody, my first post. i just dropped out of year 11 and im wondering when enrolment starts for the 2007 HSC at Granville and how i go about applying?
Ok, to enroll in the 2007 session for Granville means you would enroll around late February next year. You'd basically attend an information session and then go to an interview where you would choose your subjects - you may or may not also have to sit a brief literacy and numeracy test to determine your eligibility for certain math and english subjects. After that you would put in your enrollment form with your payment and you'd be good to go.

The kind of things to bring to your interview would be your ID and your School Certificate/other relevant qualifications.

For further details, read the 'My guide to HSC at TAFE' sticky and if there is anything else you have questions about, post in here.:)

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
hey kami, if you apply to do an hsc subject at oten do you have to do it over two years (because of preliminary?) or can you do both preliminary and the hsc course in the one year?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
what971 said:
hey kami, if you apply to do an hsc subject at oten do you have to do it over two years (because of preliminary?) or can you do both preliminary and the hsc course in the one year?
Depends on the subject - languages and histories must be over two years similar to school IIRC, but most other subjects may be compressed into one year I believe.:)

DeltaOneZero

Premium Member, I rock!
HSC
Hey, Just reading over this thread and talking to teachers I know through last week and this week I will be.

I just signout out of school, Year 12. Due to family/personal reasons and ontop of that I had failed Year 12 Music, which sucks but I can't do anything about it due to personal/family reasons. Im not going to do the rest of my 4 subjects because I just can't do it this year.

Next year is going to be different, I can focus a lot more etc, the subjects I have had the past 2 years have been Music [at school], a TVET Course at Tafe which was Music, Society and Culture, Math's, English and Ancient History.

I didn't go so well in Ancient, or Music. So what are my options for TAFE? Im in Newcastle btw. I have no idea about this kind of thing. I want to get my HSC but I don't want to be doing it over a long period of time, so how many subjects do I need to do?

Thanks, just need information.

'~.Wil.~'

HSC
N/A
Hey all,

Just a quick question that's related top this subject. Is it possible to do both your Prelim and HSC at TAFE after you have done your School Cert?

I am asking this because I require to leave school after I receive my School Cert in order to proceed and excell in my Working Career, however I would also still like to get my HSC. I just need to know if I can study at TAFE in order to balance out my work and studies.

Thanks in advance.

-Wil

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
~.Wil.~ said:
Hey all,

Just a quick question that's related top this subject. Is it possible to do both your Prelim and HSC at TAFE after you have done your School Cert?

I am asking this because I require to leave school after I receive my School Cert in order to proceed and excell in my Working Career, however I would also still like to get my HSC. I just need to know if I can study at TAFE in order to balance out my work and studies.

Thanks in advance.

-Wil
Yes you can do your prelim at TAFE, it comes in two forms; separate prelim and HSC years similar to school OR combined prelim and HSC in one sitting. The latter is more common at TAFE. It should also be noted that you can study part time if you so wish and take your HSC over several years.

darksouljah

HSC
HELLO,

I was just wondering, when the HSC year 12 starts??
Because most schools have year 12 HSC starting term 4 after the prelimz.

And when are the enrolment dates and information sessionz.

cheers

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
darksouljah said:
HELLO,

I was just wondering, when the HSC year 12 starts??
Because most schools have year 12 HSC starting term 4 after the prelimz.

And when are the enrolment dates and information sessionz.

cheers
The majority of TAFE colleges commence their HSC program in the new year, with enrollments during February. There are, however, some TAFE colleges who follow the highschool schedule. For exact dates please see the campus at which you wish to study.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
darksouljah said:
hey kami,
How do you know all these stuff about TAFE.?
From my year 10 to my year 12 I spent three years at TAFE - and whenever I had problems during my time there, I researched extensively for solutions. I think anyone who had a similar experience would have knowledge to share.

i.love.poodles

HSC
leobirch said:
Hi,

If you have completed your HSC certificate you would be eligible to do one of our Diploma courses.

Why waste a year at TAFE repeating year twelve when you gain a Diploma in the same time and then go onto uni (possibley with credit).

Give me a call 02 9929-4095 or email me at lbirch@aba.edu.au

Regards,

Leo Birch
Australian Business Academy
I know I would repeat year 12 at TAFE before going to a business college that needs to resort to advertising on an HSC forum to get students...

agui01

HSC
At the moment I'm doing the HSC but am really worried how poorly I'm gonig to do in Eng Advanced and a few others. I'm just wondering, if I do decide to repeat the English Adavanced course at TAFE, can I still study the texts which I have already studied or is there set texts given for each class at TAFE? Also does this apply to Area of Study e.g. I have studied Physical Journeys, but can they make me do another of the 2 types of Journeys?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
agui01 said:
At the moment I'm doing the HSC but am really worried how poorly I'm gonig to do in Eng Advanced and a few others. I'm just wondering, if I do decide to repeat the English Adavanced course at TAFE, can I still study the texts which I have already studied or is there set texts given for each class at TAFE? Also does this apply to Area of Study e.g. I have studied Physical Journeys, but can they make me do another of the 2 types of Journeys?
The classes will do the modules for their own classes as set by their teacher, so while it is possible that they will have similar text it is not a given that they will have the same texts and you should not expect it. I also wouldn't worry too much about the Journeys component if I were you, the differences between the different journeys are rather superficial in the advanced course.

MG01

HSC
Hi, just wondering if meadowbank tafe is a good tafe to repeat my HSC Studies? Thanks, Marina :)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
MG01 said:
Hi, just wondering if meadowbank tafe is a good tafe to repeat my HSC Studies? Thanks, Marina :)
It has well equipped staff from what I remember hearing about it, the main consideration though, should be whether the specific campus offers your subjects or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)