Hsc At Tafe? (1 Viewer)

MG01

HSC
kami said:
It has well equipped staff from what I remember hearing about it, the main consideration though, should be whether the specific campus offers your subjects or not.
thanks heaps!! jst dont wanna go to a tafe that has a bad name or bad people goin there lol i dont wanna get into drugs!! lol and yess i know the subjects they are offering jst worried bout the environment but thanks again! ciao..

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
Can I enroll at HSC Tafe after the date of information session?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
dhampoet said:
Can I enroll at HSC Tafe after the date of information session?
Yup, just make sure you get in contact with the TAFE as soon as you are able to.:)

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
Are you sure? I'm going ask TAFE this week anyway
The information session at Ultimo Tafe is on 24 January and I am still in overseas at that moment
Actually I'm doing 11 unit HSC at school right now (2007 HSC) but I'm not really satisfied with one subject I have (IPT) so I'd like to take one more subject,perhaps SOR 1 or Biology
Is it OK to combine HSC at school which is 2 year programme (year 11+12) with HSC at TAFE?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
dhampoet said:
Are you sure?
I'm sure - as long as the TAFE has spaces and too much of the course hasn't gone by then they'll still accept you.

dhampoet said:
Is it OK to combine HSC at school which is 2 year programme (year 11+12) with HSC at TAFE?
Yes. Just so long as you inform them of the fact that you've done year 11 so they don't try to push you into Pathways.

dragonsrock

The Sexy One
HSC
Hey, anyone who can answer my question I would really appreciate it:

Basically my situation is that I did fairly well at the HSC, i got late 70's and early 80's in 4 of my subjects and i got 63 in Maths. This unfortunately dragged my UAI down to 65. Now I want to do the HSC through TAFE next year.

Is it possible to combine my better results that I received through doing the HSC at high school with the new results I get through TAFE to form a UAI? Or will I have to re-do all of my subjects?

natalieszitniak

Natalie
HSC
dragonsrock said:

Basically my situation is that I did fairly well at the HSC, i got late 70's and early 80's in 4 of my subjects and i got 63 in Maths. This unfortunately dragged my UAI down to 65. Now I want to do the HSC through TAFE next year.

Is it possible to combine my better results that I received through doing the HSC at high school with the new results I get through TAFE to form a UAI? Or will I have to re-do all of my subjects?
If you want, I am pretty sure you can do just the subjects you think you did bad at, depending on which TAFE it is. However your results may actually be worse at TAFE because I know some students onky go there for CentreLink Payments and don't study/disrupt the class- and there is little disciplinary action for this. However i am 99% sure you don't have to do all of your subjects again.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
dragonsrock said:

As the above poster has stated, it is up to you which subjects you chose to do, there is no requirement to re-do everything you have done before. However, it is important to be aware that only your latest results in a subject will be used even if you perform worse in that subject the second time around.

natalieszitniak said:
Does anyone know the HSC enrolment date at Bankstown TAFE for 2007?
Its sometime between Jan 22nd and Feb 28th, if you want something more precise than Bankstown campus will have leaflets available at the information desk which detail when information and enrollment days are.

melodic_gal

HSC
69^boi said:
im thinking about to repeat HSC at tafe can you do this??
is the environment wots it like???
Yes you can repeat HSC at TAFE

HSC is a certficate III there is another option higher than the HSC

it is called the TPC - Tertiary Preparation Certificate it is a Certificate IV This course actually prepares you if want to go to unversity or further studies in TAFE.

I find the TPC is better than HSC you get more out of it and it is a Certificate IV duration of the course is up to you 18 months, 1 year or 2 years day or evening full or part time.

This course is flexible and a lot of those who have done HSC before years ago, have not sat for the HSC or would like to get a better mark this is a terrific course. Then again it is up to you to decide

good luck :)

frankie69

HSC
mate im doing just tha and its better older people,and hotter guys and gals, watever ur in2

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
melodic_gal said:
Yes you can repeat HSC at TAFE

HSC is a certficate III there is another option higher than the HSC

it is called the TPC - Tertiary Preparation Certificate it is a Certificate IV This course actually prepares you if want to go to unversity or further studies in TAFE.

I find the TPC is better than HSC you get more out of it and it is a Certificate IV duration of the course is up to you 18 months, 1 year or 2 years day or evening full or part time.

This course is flexible and a lot of those who have done HSC before years ago, have not sat for the HSC or would like to get a better mark this is a terrific course. Then again it is up to you to decide

good luck :)
While I agree that the Tertiary Preparation Certificate (TPC) is better in many ways, it isn't exactly 'higher' than the HSC anymore than the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme is higher because its a Diploma. You can find similar parallels at university with some Bachelor and Masters courses. A course is a course, you decide whether you do it based on whether it is better for your future, not because it has a higher number.

You also may take the Higher School Certificate in a flexible form - between one and six years, part time, full time or at night (depending on subjects).

That said; the TPC does seem very good however it isn't for everyone, much like the HSC.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
kami said:
While I agree that the Tertiary Preparation Certificate (TPC) is better in many ways, it isn't exactly 'higher' than the HSC anymore than the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme is higher because its a Diploma. You can find similar parallels at university with some Bachelor and Masters courses. A course is a course, you decide whether you do it based on whether it is better for your future, not because it has a higher number.
Umm, yes it is important. As part of the Australian Qualifications Framework, a Cert IV has more in-depth, looking-at-the-bigger-picture skills than a Cert III. The IB is different, so is the American college diploma system, but as far as TAFE and Higher Education in Australia are concerned, there is a very defined AQF ladder.

The HSC (even if delivered via TAFE) is designed to keep the Dept of Education happy that they did a good job teaching you, culminating in what you have done since kindergarten (i.e. who has the best memory to regurgitate information over a broad range of subjects). The TPC is geared to skill students up for more TAFE (Vocational skills, study skills) and Uni (Researching, criticising, thinking for yourself). There is a lot more choice in subjects which are shorter and the teachers have flexibility in how they deliver it to you.

I personally believe the HSC should be outside of the AQF as the workload for that Cert III compared to other Cert IIIs is not equivalent.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
blerkles said:
Umm, yes it is important. As part of the Australian Qualifications Framework, a Cert IV has more in-depth, looking-at-the-bigger-picture skills than a Cert III. The IB is different, so is the American college diploma system, but as far as TAFE and Higher Education in Australia are concerned, there is a very defined AQF ladder.
The argument you seem to be making is that the level of the course determines the design and depth of the course ... which is rendered more than invalid when you cast your eye over the myriad of TAFE and university courses. It also hardly impacts on their future whether their pre-tertiary studies have a Cert IV or HSC on the transcript since potential employers won't even touch those qualifications once someone has completed a Diploma/Bachelor/Masters.

I also agree (and did so previously) that the TPC may be better at fostering certain skills but simply do not believe that the name or number on the transcript should be the guide to someone's choice. As opposed to what subjects they wish to study(some subjects simply aren't offered in the TPC), locations they can attend, if they wish to study by correspondence (which you can't with TPC) and so on ... so I'm not sure why you're even arguing.

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
exactly what im thinking of doing for next year if i dont get the uai i need for the course i want to get into,

i have only one questions though, can i just do yr 12??? without doing prelim??.... ?!?!...

blerkles

HSC
N/A
TPC & HSC are not always the best predictors of ability at university level. Try Open Universities as you are doing uni level work and can greatly help you get the foot in the door of an on-campus position. What are you interested in?

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
i've had my fair share of down's this year, but now im more certain than ever of what i want to do, i really want to get into a course related with health science like medicine or pharmacy. Its something im prepared to put all i have into even if it means i have to repeat yr 12 to get the uai i need to get in! do you think it would be a wise choice to repeat at tafe?

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Health studies is a big field - thought about physio, occupational therapy, pathology, diversional therapy, optometry, dentistry, radiology/radiography, sports science, podiatry, etc? Not great wages but there's always nursing.

You said you might get about 70 UAI? That's the cut-off for CSU's Medical Science (available by distance too) which some people use as a stepping stone to postgrad Medicine (if you have the uni marks).

If you don't get into what you want, try getting in as an Associate Student... many (but not all) uni's allow you to enrol in a couple of subjects without being enrolled in the actual degree on a full fee basis (maybe paid for through FEE-HELP?). If you can show them that you are able to study at the uni level then that might get your foot in the door to get a Commonwealth supported (HECS place).

Some uni's also have Diploma of General Studies (with a lower entrance rank) which means you get a pretty piece of paper for doing 8 subjects (at 100, 200, and 300 level)... and if you do health related subjects you might get credit for what you really want to do plus the ability to get your foot in the door.

Enrol with Open Universities (no HSC needed) and get a degree from Monash, Swinburne, RMIT, UniSA, Macquarie etc. No health related degrees offered yet other than nursing, but having an Arts degree or a Business degree or even an IT one can help you to get into postgrad health studies. Actually read a few articles saying that there is going to be a big boom in Health Informatics (health/IT) in next five years, so maybe doing Information Systems would be handy. OUA do offer a postgrad Health Industry Management program.

There are health related courses at TAFE that you can do that may also open up doors for you.

What I am trying to say is move forward and sideways rather than taking a step back because you may waste a year for no benefit.

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
ok forget i even mentioned health science.... Business/law is what i want!!! such a change of heart you might ask?, alas the choices has been made...

i went to see a tafe conselllar 2day is there anyeway i can just redo the hsc the yr 12 part and not the prelim?!??!!? guys!?!?! need help quicikkk plzzzz???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)