Hsc At Tafe? (2 Viewers)

bassistx

HSC
I put lots of hard work in. So much effort. And I get marks that make me want to cry and rip those papers to shreds. Even my parents complain about all the late hours I spend.
I work hard on assessment tasks. But I don't study for tests and stuff. When it comes to the HSC and everything, of course I'm going to study.
But it's not just my attitude. My attitude is one factor... Remember how in art, the highest was 16/20? I found out today I got 15. I was screaming and jumping like a kid at xmas. But that's still only 75%. Anything below 80% is C-R-A-P!

I know what you mean about a miracle and stuff... But the other factor is my family. I simply can't do it. There's too much going on at home. After high school, I'll do as I please. I'll be able to have a lot more freedom to take my life into my own hands and decide on a career that suits MY tastes.

I know about passive/active learning. I'm very ambitious and motivated and everything, but when it comes down to actually doing it, I pull out every excuse under the sun. I procrastinate like you wouldn't believe. I do my homework as the teacher marks the roll. I put everything until the very last second. And it's because I feel like I can't do the work.

However...

If I saw the same work again, I'd be like, "Omg? You serious? This is so easy! I already know all this, I'm gonna ace it!"
With a positive attitude, I think I'd definitely do a lot better.

I can't afford a tutor. I went to summer school though and it was great, really motivated me and explained a lot of things I wasn't sure about. But as soon as the lectures are over, they're over. I feel like I can't do anything without somebody standing on my head.

I'm contradicting myself... Going to TAFE a couple of times a week certainly doesn't mean I have somebody pushing me to do the work. But maybe then I'll actually realize that if I fail, it's my fault and nobody else's.

I don't want to go to TAFE until I've finished high school. After all, I might not have to repeat all subjects. I'll see how I go. But I'm really disappointed with my progress so far. I can't stuff up anymore. There's no room for mistakes and that's even more pressure.

Pressure = Procrastination

Sigh. I'm sorry. You aren't a counsellor lol.

wce33

HSC
Hey Bassistix,

I definently see where your coming from; experiencing something more than once will always help you grasp a concept. However, I believe your putting a mental block in with the TAFE in 09 mentality.

I like yourself put tonnes of work in for the HSC (though I always completed my hw early - except for english which got left to the last moment). Family stuff is hard, and I sympathise with you irrelevent of the circumstances. Perhaps that can be used as ammunition to prove to everyone that you can rise above this, prove the doubters wrong (whether they be teacher, family or peers) and go in saying "I will get into the course I want in 2009"

Be realistic with your goals, and at the end of the day - If you get a UAI of 50 but you can look yourself in the eye and say you gave it all you got, then you succeeded. You build up the work ethic now, and positive mindset now, its much more important than the end paper:)

bassistx

HSC
Thanks. I guess you're right. That made me feel heaps better lol Great start to the morning!

However, I won't be going to uni until 2011. So I have plenty of time.
I'm gonna give Visual Arts and Entertainment Industry all I've got. I don't want to repeat them. No way in hell lol.

I'll still repeat at least 1 subject next year. I have to be enrolled in high school or TAFE to continue with Open High School for my HSC. So yeah. But I hope it all works out :)

Cheers

redox

HSC
When I went to enrolment day and paid, no one said anything about getting a photo for the tafecard, but now I read that you're not enrolled until you have the photo taken? Is it ok if I just get that done on induction day (monday)?

bassistx

HSC
They take the photo for you....They might not accept your enrolment, so I suppose you wouldn't get it until induction. Shrugs. Call up and ask.

I'm waiting to learn everything first so next year will be just revision... No TAFE for me this year.

OiNK!

Superior Member
HSC
How is everyones experience thus far? It is the first week and my first impression is that this year will be long, requiring at least 20 hours of study per week outside of TAFE hours.

My brother also studied few HSC subjects at TAFE before progressing to university and he has said it is a bad idea to attempt the full HSC at TAFE, maybe he is right?

Last edited:

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
OiNK! said:
How is everyones experience thus far? It is the first week and my first impression is that this year will be long, requiring at least 20 hours of study per week outside of TAFE hours.

My brother also studied few HSC subjects at TAFE before progressing to university and he has said it is a bad idea to attempt the full HSC at TAFE, maybe he is right?
er, no different to studying it in a high school environment tbh. in fact i would say the TAFE environment is so much better, as people are attending because they WANT to (like mature age students or those going the second time round) as compared to those staying in school for the social aspect only.

Rio54

HSC
sorry im young but do i have to do any compulsory subjects when i take the HSC at tafe

random boy

HSC
The only mandatory subject which must be undertaken when completing the HSC is English. However youget to choose the level eg: Advace or standard (both dont affect your uai scaling)

`Crayon

HSC
i`m doing pathways, and i was wondering if it was possible to complete my HSC in tafe. So I would complete half of ym HSC subjects in school btu the rest at Tafe ; next year.

Can I do that ? I don`t want to return back to school.

adetailedartist

HSC
Hi :)
Sorry to be bumping this thread after ages but I've recently finished an exchange year overseas and have been thinking about doing my HSC through TAFE just because I really don't think I could stand the environment of a normal school. It feels like my best option right now. I'm 17 and the plan was that I just continue onto year 11 but it would be perfect if I can have my HSC completed by the end of 2010.

I did some research on where I can do the course (I think it's 6500 Certificate III) but I live in Port Macquarie and I don't think they actually have this option at the campus. How did you find out about the options your campus requires?

Is the best idea to actually just walk into the school and ask them in person what they offer? You don't need appointments or anything like this?

Also, I'm working on getting into Medicine in University of Melbourne but is it actually possible to get the UAI I need through TAFE? (I have a feeling it's around the 95 mark...) Now that I've read through all of your posts I've thought a lot about the idea of this and it sounds amazing BUT I'm just scared I might not have a chance getting the marks I need. Think I might just need to work my ass off here though.

Thanks for any advice you could give me :)

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Yes, it's best to go to your local TAFE campus and organise an appointment with either the head of the department that your course is in (for the HSC I think it's the General Education dept.), or the TAFE counsellor, who'll give you up to date info.

Like you've said, they only offer the HSC at some campuses, though there is also the TPC (Cert. IV in Teritary Preparation) which can be used for uni admittance. You'd need to check if Melbourne Uni would accept the TPC though, as some universities don't (best to ring the admissions department at Melbourne and ask). I did the TPC in 2007 and used it to get into uni.

TAFE is a really great alternative to school, I despised school and was so glad I left to go to TAFE, it's a very different atmosphere. Good luck with what you decide :)

synapticmysfire

of Awesome.
HSC
Spoke with Kerrie Keene from North Sydney earlier today - very knowledgeable and accommodating, and was able to answer all my questions.

I'll be there in 2010 for the combined program. :D

Last edited:

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Yeah, I think doing the HSC at North sydney tafe is a pretty good decision. No..really, it is :sun:

random boy

HSC
Ill be doing mine at Bankstown TAFE 2010 this year! :D

just left year 10 and will be done with tafe at the end of 2011 :p

uac.aplcnt

HSC
I dont think you'll get a great ATAR if you are aiming for one at BAnKstOwN TaFe is Da WoRst

ld1999

HSC
He didn't ask to be insulted ^
Loser.

Anyway @ Bankstown TAFE guy, you left year 10 and are planning to complete Year 11 and 12 in the same year? Wow that sounds like a pretty good idea wish I thought of that, it kinda has the same effect as an acceleration program

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)