HSC Chem: Do you need to know about Australian scientist? (2 Viewers)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
We're doing Vanadium redox batteries and the scietntist who discovered them. There's this dot point, well it's not really a dot point but still:

12.4 e) identifying practising male and female Australian scientists, the areas in which
they are currently working and information about their research

12.4 f) assess the accuracy of scientific information presented in mass media by
comparison with similar information presented in scientific journals

So how important is this? And what kind of question would they ask in HSC about it?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I remembered that my science teacher told me to research an Australian scientist in year 10/year 11 because it was a part of the syllabus, however, for Chemistry, I could only see its applicability when you are doing the third core module, "Chemical Monitoring and Management" and there is a specific dot point that says:

-gather, process and present information from secondary sources about the work of practising scientists identifying:
◦the variety of chemical occupations
-a specific chemical occupation for a more detailed study

It is probably important if your school decides to set second hand investigation as assessment tasks and combine the dot points with a topic, and if your teacher has asked you to research a particular scientist, then do it just in case wouldn't hurt. However, I remember even though I did research on Australian scientist, I didn't actually get to use that research any time in any of my exams, but I think preparing for it would be wise. For the second dot point, it is possible that it can be an assignment question or it can be a part of an exam where you get given extract from science journal and mass media article and assess based on the knowledge that you have gained. I think these two dot points belongs to the prescribed focus areas so it is probably important to understand and apply them.

As reiterated, the kind of questions in Chemistry related would either be in core module 3, very rarely do HSC exam asks something which does not have any links at all to the syllabus, would either be a part of an exam where extracts are given on work of current Australian scientist-and you have to outline/analyse their work, both questions can be incorporated into other modules as parts of a question or as a question by itself. So do know them but don't worry excessively about them:) Hope this helps:)

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes.

In the syllabus.

Outcome 12.3e)

P20 of syllabus for preliminary and p44 for HSC Syllabus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)