HSC Chemistry SOLUTIONS / Thoughts / Predictions (2 Viewers)

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
aren't you on a mid 95 for chem and phys and probably state ranking for maths 3/4 U. How can you not get 99 atar
Chem and phys were a bit lower than that, like 93 and 92 each. I don’t know 99 has always just seemed like impossible for me 😂 never really guessed I’d be able to get it

idkkdi

HSC
SOLUTIONS ARE UP!

I'm missing Q23 in my copy but I will update it later on. If there are any mistakes feel free to let me know
will u have questions with your upload?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
My thoughts on the exam as some people have asked me for my opinion:
- Overall a harder exam than the 2019 Paper, so I expect that the Band 6 cut off will be lower by maybe 5 marks or so
- Some questions I feel were not too hard in this exam but the wording and large amount of information may have tripped up some students and that lead to the exam being classed as difficult. An example of this is the equilibrium constant calculation one. Quite a simple question in terms of just subbing in numbers and using one equation at a time, but can seem hard in an exam as there is a lot of info to digest.
- I think most of the exam was good overall and probably challenged most students in the state as it was mostly application vs memorising stuff
- Maybe the one thing I would say that I didn't like is that there was too much of a focus on Module 8 and not really much content from Module 5 and 7 in the exam aside from the one reaction pathway. Also, not many writing questions so this exam would heavily favour the people who are good at maths

dumNerd

HSC
My thoughts on the exam as some people have asked me for my opinion:
- Overall a harder exam than the 2019 Paper, so I expect that the Band 6 cut off will be lower by maybe 5 marks or so
- Some questions I feel were not too hard in this exam but the wording and large amount of information may have tripped up some students and that lead to the exam being classed as difficult. An example of this is the equilibrium constant calculation one. Quite a simple question in terms of just subbing in numbers and using one equation at a time, but can seem hard in an exam as there is a lot of info to digest.
- I think most of the exam was good overall and probably challenged most students in the state as it was mostly application vs memorising stuff
- Maybe the one thing I would say that I didn't like is that there was too much of a focus on Module 8 and not really much content from Module 5 and 7 in the exam aside from the one reaction pathway. Also, not many writing questions so this exam would heavily favour the people who are good at maths
do you future exams would be similar to this one, more math based?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
do you future exams would be similar to this one, more math based?
No idea to be honest as I have no link to NESA so I wouldn't be able to tell you what they are thinking, but I don't think you can just make that conclusion. That's because the 2019 paper had some writing too and 2020 more skewed towards the calculations

JeydinNewWon

HSC
No idea to be honest as I have no link to NESA so I wouldn't be able to tell you what they are thinking, but I don't think you can just make that conclusion. That's because the 2019 paper had some writing too and 2020 more skewed towards the calculations
It feels kinda like NESA is experimenting with us still. I mean, we are still 2nd year of the new syllabus. This exam was upped in difficulty (considering the ease of last year's exam) and did favour mathematically oriented students, but it feels like NESA is trying to figure out a good balance between theory vs maths.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
It feels kinda like NESA is experimenting with us still. I mean, we are still 2nd year of the new syllabus. This exam was upped in difficulty (considering the ease of last year's exam) and did favour mathematically oriented students, but it feels like NESA is trying to figure out a good balance between theory vs maths.
Yeah true, I am interested to see how NESA goes from here as the two papers for 2019 and 2020 are quite different in terms of the core focus of how they structured it

Maurice69

HSC
What do people think the band 6 cut off will be? I’ve looked at the solutions and think I’m sitting on a raw mark of about 86, what will this be?

black.mamba

HSC
Chem and phys were a bit lower than that, like 93 and 92 each. I don’t know 99 has always just seemed like impossible for me 😂 never really guessed I’d be able to get it
You can definitely get a 99+ with those marks! Hsc ninja atar calc gives a 99 atar to mid 80s english and low-mid 90s (~94) aligned for maths and sciences, which you should easily exceed.

black.mamba

HSC
Also what raw mark would state rank be this year? I heard 98 raw was needed last year, but this year is a bit harder ofc
(assuming im rank 1 internally, but i could be rank 2)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)