HSC marks in relation to SC marks (1 Viewer)

Official

Bring it on
HSC
A lot of teachers / elder students have been saying to me that HSC marks are directly related to SC marks. So from your previous experiences do you believe that this is true or just another one of those common myths?

If you want, post your HSC marks + UAI and your SC marks so we can see if there really is a correspondence :D

Thanks heaps!

LordPc

HSC
directly related? no

good indication of? yes

people that did good in the SC at my school did well in the HSC. those that did poorly in the SC have nothing to be proud of in the HSC

but there are exceptions. I know of a few people that did ok in the SC and then went on to get very high marks in the HSC and other people who got band 6's in the SC and then just dipped.

its all relative

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
No.

No relation whatsoever for many people...and that includes me probably...

BTW, I did 2 HSC subjects last year

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
if u did pretty well in SC u would probably do well in HSC however if u didn't u can still do well in HSC

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
if u did pretty well in SC u would probably do well in HSC however if u didn't u can still do well in HSC
It works the other way as well. Even if you did well in SC, you can still do badly in HSC.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
i know of someone who had no band 6s and a few band 5s for the SC and in yr 12 achieved 97.45 UAI 2008

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^not very surprising as school certificate doesn't seem to test anything apart from the luck of that person on the day and intelligence to extremely minor extent.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
totally true! i mean why namu you yourself topped the state in HSC 2 unit maths last year and what did u get for SC maths again?? sorry can't remember. :)

Last edited:

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
A lot of teachers / elder students have been saying to me that HSC marks are directly related to SC marks. So from your previous experiences do you believe that this is true or just another one of those common myths?
This is definately a myth, as if there was a relation! In my year the people who scored a band 6 in SC like most of the 'smart' class ended up getting UAIs of 79-81 whereas I got higher:lol:. The kind of arrogance these people had in believing that Year 10 and especially Year 11 knowledge would help them in Year 12 is what caused their sadly pathetic downfall, heck I remember one guy, I'll name him 'L' was studying a year 11 book(it wasn't maths) minutes before the HSC exam, he believed it would truly help him sadly he got a UAI of 81 and by taking advantage of that arrogance that is how you get a higher UAI:lol:

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Ah, so there isn't a direct relation but what you people are trying to say is that SC is a good indicator of how you would generally do in the HSC... Right?

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A
Ah, so there isn't a direct relation but what you people are trying to say is that SC is a good indicator of how you would generally do in the HSC... Right?
no, after year 10 you have a clean slate as well as after Year 11

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Hmmm I would be more inclined to say that there isn't really a relationship between them.
Someone who did well in the SC can't go on to say "Oh I did well in the SC I'm going to do well in the HSC."

I find that the SC is mainly luck and a test of natural intelligence rather than the content that you actually learnt during the year.
Look at the English SC, it's just making it up as you go and hoping for the best.

we0426

Banned
HSC
man can u help me.....i am so stresssssssed...i dont know what i am gona do

like to be honest i didnot go so wellllll in SC... but since then i have been gething higher marks than people who use to get 90s..

i do chemistary, physics, 2 unit maths, business studies, economics and english standard.....

i am coming in top ten in every subject...but not maths..

i really need some one to give me advice on how much to study and how to master maths...

if u can help..it wellllllllllllllllll be greatttttttttttttttly apprecaited..:devil:

TC

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
man can u help me.....i am so stresssssssed...i dont know what i am gona do

like to be honest i didnot go so wellllll in SC... but since then i have been gething higher marks than people who use to get 90s..

i do chemistary, physics, 2 unit maths, business studies, economics and english standard.....

i am coming in top ten in every subject...but not maths..

i really need some one to give me advice on how much to study and how to master maths...

if u can help..it wellllllllllllllllll be greatttttttttttttttly apprecaited..:devil:

TC
Visiting maths forum would be the smartest way to start because there will be far more people out there to help you and attend to your needs.

But as a brief start, here we go: http://community.boredofstudies.org/12/mathematics/197896/ultimate-guide-hsc-mathematics.html

Have a read...i am sure it will help you little bit out. :D

jet

Banned
HSC
I think its just luck, and a bit of knowledge. It was quite a joke actually. I reckon that there is no relation. People can change in the two years after the SC.

Most people can not study and get band 5s. I studied somewhat, and got straight 6s.

ascentyx

HSC
I tend to think that the SC is more a measure of just general intelligence (that is without studying). The HSC is my opinion is more of a measure of how much
effort you put in (also coupled with general intelligence). Obviously if you naturally smarted you can put less effort in and vice versa.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I tend to think that the SC is more a measure of just general intelligence (that is without studying). The HSC is my opinion is more of a measure of how much
effort you put in (also coupled with general intelligence). Obviously if you naturally smarted you can put less effort in and vice versa.
Maybe...

I reckon HSC is still a better indicator of your natural intelligence as HSC is so much harder than School Certificate.

Putting effort just doesn't cut it. You need to be naturally intelligent, need to know how to answer the questions, need to know how to balance your time in exam and etc.

layzeehbum

HSC
there's no relation at all btw hsc n sc.

i did better in sc n den i sorta stopped studying... so yea my marks in hsc were a bit of a shock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)